Start by marking “Harold Finds a Voice” as Want to Read:
Harold Finds a Voice

Harold Finds a Voice

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Harold is an amazing mimic, and can imitate the sound of everything in his home. Tired of repeating the same old noises, he yearns to find out what other voices there are in the big, wide world. But what happens when he suddenly realises that he doesn't yet have a voice of his own? This fantastic debut by author/illustrator Courtney Dicmas recounts Harold's hilarious tale. ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Child's Play International

To ask other readers questions about Harold Finds a Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harold Finds a Voice

Tc
Beautiful picture book with lots of potential in the classroom! The story is not very well developed, but the art work is lovely, and it is perfect for teaching children about sounds. I can imagine reading this book with my iPhone at the ready with all of the sounds found in the book and letting each child take a turn playing the sound that correlates to the image. It would be great for phonological awareness to practice having the children close their eyes to guess what the sounds were after re ...more
Suzi
My new favorite picture book! As a parrot owner, I can tell the author is very familiar with parrot behavior and body language. Every page is lively and life-like and full of parrot personality. So many picture books with exotic animals are just full of cute, but wooden, illustrations that don't have any real vibrancy. Courtney Dicmas, however, captures the gleeful, feathery insanity of Harold the macaw perfectly in every illustration. I love particularly the pages where he is twisted up in some ...more
Smelleykins
Won via a competition on twitter through Waterstones Birmingham. They tweeted saying to respond for an aged group to win a undisclosed book, so i tweeted the age group 0-5. Not expecting to win but deciding if I did, my nephew could have the book. I won. Two books infact

I LOVED this book. I know its for children and my nephew has claimed it, but it’s bright, funky, has paris, and birds in it. What’s not to love. It also i think teaches chilren to find their own voice, something my two year old n
Hazel Wood
My favourite book was Harold Finds a Voice because all of the birds wanted to hear his beautiful voice. The book made me happy. My favourite character was Harold because he was funny.
Lauren Aged 6
Crystal
This book has so many great noises to make I know that it would be a great read aloud. I also enjoy that Harold isn't just copying other things, he is working to find his own voice.
Courtney Huskisson
A colorful little Parisian parrot who is very good at mimicking other sounds learns what happens when he finds his own voice.

Lovely water color illustrations. I borderline long for a young listener, but short enough for an older listener.
Ann
Something about Parisian parrots trying to imitate the ambience of flat 4B makes this book irresistable. Harold is tired of repeating the same old noises. No matter how he voice-inflects "hello," whether upside down or rightside up, he can't seem to shake the ennui. One night, as he pensively stares out the window at the Eiffel Tower, he decides to escape into the world of beautiful sounds. The chance he takes on venturing into the city proves to be everything he's ever dreamed of including find ...more
Library Quine
Harold the parrot mimics the sounds all around him. However, he tires of all the noises in the house and wants to make the noises of the wonderful things he can see outside. However, when he gets into the big wide world he realises he doesn't have a voice of his own. When he does make a noise of his own he is somewhat disappointed, but the other parrots think it's great, and he makes flocks of new friends. The illustrations are vivid and bright and almost as exuberant as Harold himself.
Barbara
Harold is a very clever parrot who can imitate the sound of just about anything! Children will be rolling on the floor laughing and imitating Harold as he makes the sound of a toaster, the vacuum and even the toilet. When he escapes the house he discovers a whole new world of noises. Everything he sees makes its own noise an he can imitate it. But after a while he wants to make a noise of his very own. Read Harold Finds a Voice to see what he comes up with.

Dalia
Super cute!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool+
Animal: Pet parrot
Sense: Sound
Country: Paris, France

This book is begging to be read-aloud with all the sound effects--and Dicmas must have labored over the spelling of each sound effect because they are just perfect when read aloud. The artwork is fantastic and pairs well with what is happening in the story. This is also a great book for accepting one's special identity when Harold finds his own sound/voice.
paula
Ok, it's a little hammer-over-the-head-y, what with Harold could imitate everybody else's beautiful voice but didn't discover his own identity until he spoke with his own whatever whatever... but Harold is such a cheerful pal of a parrot, loving the vacuum cleaner's sound, reveling in the cellos and foghorns (foghorns?) of Paris, and the big splunchy wads of paint are so happy-looking... well I LIKE IT.
Nancy
Harold is a parrot with a special talent. He can imitate every sound he hears. He can sound like a toilet flushing. He can sound like the vacuum cleaner. He can even sound like a big ocean liner or a small little snail. But what does he sound like when he is being himself? Can he find his own voice and learn to love the sound?
Samantha
Harold is a parrot who excels at mimicking sounds. When he grows tired of making the same sounds he ventures out to find a few new ones and to develop his own voice.

A cool story about individuality with vivid illustrations.

I loved all the noises the author thought up to include. Great read aloud. PreK-2.
Mary
I really liked this bright, colorful, and cheerful book about a parrot who is great at mimicking other things, but doesn't have a voice of his own. When he finally finds it, he meets other birds just like him. I can't wait to use this one in a storytime. We'll have some noisy fun!
Shelli
Harold is a house parrot who has grown bored mimicking all the sounds he hears in his small environment. One day an open window allows Harold the chance to explore the world and all its marvelous sounds. A fun read aloud that young children will enjoy.
Harla
Another good story time read about birds and being yourself. I want to hear Mr. George read this one to a group of preschoolers!!!
Dustin
Great way to sound out the different sounds and get your kid to do the same. The bird looks simple enough to line draw as well that you could make an after story activity of painting parrots. Now that would be fun!
Kirsten
Speaking as a bird-mom, this book is SO CUTE. I loved the illustrations and the author captured the essence of parrots beautifully. There needs to be MORE Harold books!

Awesome work!
Pamela
Delightful story of parrot who can imitate any noise, especially water. But he longs to hear the sounds of outside. One day he gets his chance. Pictures really add to the narrative.
Nicola
Amazing picture book, loved the story and the illustrations are beautiful!
Harold the parrot embarks on an adventure to discover some new noises for his repertoire..
A.C.E. Bauer
Fun and very colorful. The story's message of finding one's true self is almost beside the point--little ones will be much too busy trying to imitate Harold.
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Loved the artwork and text, just wished it had been a little longer.
Mortis Boys
I loved everything about this book.
Cordelia
Cordelia marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015