Start by marking “Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters” as Want to Read:
Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters

Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed) These three brilliantly wrought, tragic novellas explore the repressed emotions and destructive passions of working-class people far removed from the social milieu usually inhabited by Edith Wharton's characters. Ethan Frome is one of Wharton's most famous works; it is a tightly constructed and almost unbearably heartbreaking story of forbidd ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Everyman's Library (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters

Amy
Dec 31, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it
Things I don't like in my books: love triangles with unlovable characters; lecherous male characters who prey upon overly dramatic and shallow young female characters; characters who make poor life decisions to their own obvious detriment based on misguided morale ideals; stilted, unbelievable dialog. Each of the three novellas in this collection has one or more of these disagreeable elements. Real ratings for each novella (with spoilers) to follow.

Ethan Fome 1 star - WTF did I just read? Milque
Alice Lee
Feb 12, 2009 Alice Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, favorites
Edith Wharton is possibly my new hero(ine).

Ethan Frome is probably the most well-known piece in this collection, and I've noticed that many reviews for this work runs along the veins of "we read this in English class, it was horrible" etc. And I think the problem lies exactly in that. Ethan Frome is a brilliant piece - and I will give a short review of it in a bit - but it is decidedly NOT for everyone. Above all this kind of book shouldn't be forced onto teenagers as mandatory reading; there ar
Amélie
Jan 02, 2015 Amélie rated it really liked it
Shelves: états-unis, 2015, novella
Ç'a été difficile de me convaincre de donner à ce livre les quatre étoiles qu'il mérite, parce qu'Edith Wharton est tellement terriblement déprimante que ses récits donnent un peu le goût d'abandonner toute poursuite du bonheur & de laisser la grande méchante vie nous écraser de tout son poids, histoire de s'économiser une coupelle d'illusions brisées & de rêves piétinés. (Ou quelque chose comme ça.)

Ce recueil-ci comprend trois novellas : Ethan Frome, où on suit les déboires du personnag
Brian
Jul 31, 2009 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a short story that was written very well in my opinion, her discription of the scenery, the thoughts of the cast and the description of characters was very good. I enjoyed the story and one that made me feel sorry for main character in some ways. Her writing was such that I desire to read from her other works as well. I'm glad to read a book sometimes that can just tell its story in 80 pages and leave you enjoying the journey. The story is about Ethan Frome and his struggles in his life ...more
Jeanie
Feb 10, 2010 Jeanie rated it really liked it
Quiet, melancholic, under-your-skin kind of writing. All three novellas were so different but connected by class and the characters' struggles for survival. I loved how Wharton invoked the weather and seasons so powerfully and eloquently in all the stories, making landscape and climate reflective and affecting. Loved reading something set in NYC in 19th century, too, very cool. Overall, excellent and sad.
Rina
Jun 19, 2014 Rina rated it liked it
Edith Wharton's three novellas are stories of repressed emotions and forbidden love. I so enjoy her style of writing and though these stories are not the typical "happy" endings, I liked them all. As for Ethan Frome I must have read it when I was much younger and recently heard someone say how much they did NOT like it but taken in its own context it was very good.
CC
Jun 15, 2009 CC rated it really liked it
I read Ethan Frome in high school but didn't appreciate it at all. I thoroughly enjoyed Wharton's story telling ability and sparse but powerful descriptions. Reading good writing is such a delight!
Lori
Dec 29, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
I read Bunner Sisters first and couldn't put it down. In just one or two sentences, Wharton plops you straight into the time period--late 19th century New York City. Like the other two novellas in this collection, Bunner Sisters is bittersweet and grim. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Martha
I will admit I did not read Bunner Sisters--I was feeling depressed enough after finishing Ethan Frome and Summer. Both these novellas generated some good discussion in my book club, however. Such bleak, frustrating lives....
Amanda
Aug 18, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I only read Ethan Frome and Summer because after I finished reading Summer I was ready to lay down weeping. So sad.
Melissa Coulter
Dec 05, 2008 Melissa Coulter rated it really liked it
First Edith Wharton I ever read. Instant fan.
Kay
Aug 03, 2011 Kay rated it really liked it
Edith Wharton has such a wonderful way of writing about the spare life that some live and the deepest feelings they share. I appreciate her careful use of the language.
John
Sep 28, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Excellent novella collection ... and an excellent departure from the typical characters found in Ms. Wharton's novels.
Andrew
Jan 15, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
I read this in High School. It was very interesting especially the ending. I felt compassion, sad, happy, and at the same time thought how stupid serves him right.
Carla
Aug 12, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing
Great stuff. I'm really glad I've discovered Wharton. Her books are dark and the characters generally unhappy, but compelling all the same.
Jenifer
Feb 11, 2008 Jenifer rated it really liked it
It's Wharton. 'nuff said.
Jenifer
Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2008
Daphne
Daphne rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Ron Cook
Ron Cook rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2010
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Audrey
Audrey rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2008
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
May 13, 2008
Ea Solinas
Ea Solinas rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2011
Carolyn Dearing
Carolyn Dearing rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Revolutionary Road / The Easter Parade / Eleven Kinds of Loneliness
  • Delphi Complete Works of Henry James (Illustrated)
  • The Sonnets and Narrative Poems
  • David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey
  • A Rage to Live
  • Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce and Selected Stories
  • Among the Believers
  • Dickinson: Selected Poems and Commentaries
  • Edith Wharton
  • The Life of Emily Dickinson
  • A Summer of Hummingbirds: Love, Art, and Scandal in the Intersecting Worlds of Emily Dickinson, Mark Twain , Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Martin Johnson Heade
  • The Best of Wodehouse: An Anthology
  • Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...