Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters

Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  14 reviews
(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)These three brilliantly wrought, tragic novellas explore the repressed emotions and destructive passions of working-class people far removed from the social milieu usually inhabited by Edith Wharton's characters.Ethan Frome is one of Wharton's most famous works; it is a tightly constructed and almost unbearably heartbreaking story of forbidden...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Everyman's Library (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters

Alice Lee
Edith Wharton is possibly my new hero(ine).

Ethan Frome is probably the most well-known piece in this collection, and I've noticed that many reviews for this work runs along the veins of "we read this in English class, it was horrible" etc. And I think the problem lies exactly in that. Ethan Frome is a brilliant piece - and I will give a short review of it in a bit - but it is decidedly NOT for everyone. Above all this kind of book shouldn't be forced onto teenagers as mandatory reading; there ar...more
Rina
Edith Wharton's three novellas are stories of repressed emotions and forbidden love. I so enjoy her style of writing and though these stories are not the typical "happy" endings, I liked them all. As for Ethan Frome I must have read it when I was much younger and recently heard someone say how much they did NOT like it but taken in its own context it was very good.
Brian
This was a short story that was written very well in my opinion, her discription of the scenery, the thoughts of the cast and the description of characters was very good. I enjoyed the story and one that made me feel sorry for main character in some ways. Her writing was such that I desire to read from her other works as well. I'm glad to read a book sometimes that can just tell its story in 80 pages and leave you enjoying the journey. The story is about Ethan Frome and his struggles in his life...more
Jeanie
Quiet, melancholic, under-your-skin kind of writing. All three novellas were so different but connected by class and the characters' struggles for survival. I loved how Wharton invoked the weather and seasons so powerfully and eloquently in all the stories, making landscape and climate reflective and affecting. Loved reading something set in NYC in 19th century, too, very cool. Overall, excellent and sad.
Lori
I read Bunner Sisters first and couldn't put it down. In just one or two sentences, Wharton plops you straight into the time period--late 19th century New York City. Like the other two novellas in this collection, Bunner Sisters is bittersweet and grim. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
CC
I read Ethan Frome in high school but didn't appreciate it at all. I thoroughly enjoyed Wharton's story telling ability and sparse but powerful descriptions. Reading good writing is such a delight!
Kay
Edith Wharton has such a wonderful way of writing about the spare life that some live and the deepest feelings they share. I appreciate her careful use of the language.
Andrew
I read this in High School. It was very interesting especially the ending. I felt compassion, sad, happy, and at the same time thought how stupid serves him right.
Amanda
I only read Ethan Frome and Summer because after I finished reading Summer I was ready to lay down weeping. So sad.
Tobi
Feb 01, 2010 Tobi marked it as to-read
reading Ethan Frome. watched Age of Innocence and decided to read that as well...
Zaynab
Edith Wharton is so underrated. Kind of a depressing author though.
Melissa Coulter
First Edith Wharton I ever read. Instant fan.
Martha Smith
A classic tale of a failing marriage.
Jenifer
It's Wharton. 'nuff said.
K. Ludlum
K. Ludlum marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Topher
Topher marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a...more
More about Edith Wharton...
The Age of Innocence The House of Mirth Ethan Frome Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction The Custom of the Country