Start by marking “How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  564 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
HOW TO STAY ALIVE IN THE WOODS is a practical, readable-and potentially indispensable-manual for anyone venturing into the great outdoors. Broken down into four essential sections, Sustenance, Warmth, Orientation and Safety, this enlightening guide reveals how to catch game without a gun, what plants to eat (full-color illustrations of these make identification simple), ho ...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Black Dog & Leventhal (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about How to Stay Alive in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stay Alive in the Woods

Will Marshall
Sep 11, 2011 Will Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-read
I have owned a copy of this book since I was about 12 years old, and have read it cover-to-cover countless times. How to Stay Alive in the Woods is perhaps on of the most comprehensive and best-explained survival books available. The book was obviously written in a different age, which adds a certain charm - and some decidedly non-p.c. moments - to the narration.

If you spend any significant amount of time camping away from the daily conveniences of modern society, if you are planning a trip into
Martin Gibbs
Mar 28, 2012 Martin Gibbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad left me this book when he passed and as I read it, I realize how he pulled off all of those wonderful survival skills when we were canoeing deep in Canada.

This book is wonderful, the advice is valid and it works. I have a lot of Angier's other books and they are just as good; this man knows his stuff and knows how to survive without cell phones, ipads, or electricity.

My copy has a ton of scribbled notes from dad, which verify and confirm that Angier knew what he was talking about.
Dave
Sep 18, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic survival book by a skilled woodsman, but the main charm of the book for me is the wacky, roundabout syntax. Like this example about surviving on beavers: "If you have a gun and enough time at your disposal to wait for a sure shot, an often productive campaign is to steal to a concealed vantage on the downward side of a beaver pond."
Noah Green
I found this at the Goodwill recently. I am learning much about skinning frogs and porcupines for sustenance.
Jen
Mar 30, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toolbox, shivers
Better than the Bible for a sense of security and cure for insomnia. Perfect present for all those counting the days until Doomsday.
Deke
Sep 17, 2014 Deke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it, largely because the writing is unintentionally hilarious. I picked it up never having been a boy scout, hoping to learn something about fashioning a bivouac or orienteering, which I did, but my greatest joy came from reading the unnecessarily complex sentences that scream "I'm not just a crazy guy living in a cabin in the woods!"

Example, by no means atypical: "But it was because of this very characteristic, the fact that acids released by such stimuli as prolonged fatigue and frig
Micheal
As the title suggests, this book contains a vast amount of survival information for anyone planning a wilderness excursion in North America. The prose is mostly dry with few anecdotal passages, but the result is a dense collection of survival tactics and strategy. A paperback edition would make a practical addition to your wilderness outfit—so long as it was contained in a waterproof vessel of some sort. The recently rereleased hardbound edition is beautifully designed and looks handsome on a sh ...more
Pat Gibbons
this book saved my life at least three times
Megan
Dec 01, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth it.
Jim Morrison
Looks like it was written or at least copyrighted in 1956. That explains why the material is so dated. Of course some survival techniques are timeless, but equipment available certainly has changed. No index. Needs to be revised and updated. I was disappointed.
Casey
Jul 04, 2014 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learn many things in this survival guide even if you don't plan on spending time surviving alone in the woods. It presents a very diverse range of topics and makes things simple to understand and learn.
Tara Schaafsma
Oct 15, 2015 Tara Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love reading these books when I was a kid. It was really fun to get my hands on this, while on vacation in the woods.
Maggie Hensien
Jan 26, 2016 Maggie Hensien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-holiest
bought this book at a costco somewhere in a desert (maybe arizona?) circa 2007 and it has changed my life
Color plant ID section is great.
Bill Goldsworthy
Nov 16, 2015 Bill Goldsworthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read.
711Nathan
Jan 23, 2011 711Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book so far.It really has everything you need to know about wilderness survival.I also al the pictures explaining things, I've noticed in most survival manuals that the pictures are very small and hard to understand.The writing is also good and i especially like the rubberized cover.This book is a must read for any person interested in survival, It has everything you would need to know.I would give this book five stars!!!
Theo H.
My grandfather gave me this book and the advice inside is brilliant.
Patrick
Jan 19, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but I enjoyed learning about his experiences and how he wrote about them.
Clay Davis
Feb 24, 2013 Clay Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. With an original publication date of 1956 some of the information was dated and the language has that dated overly formal tone. Despite that, it is better than rotting your mind with an episode of Bear Grylls not to mention any of the crazies riding his coattails. Sort through the "old-school" and note the timeless.

This book was a gift and overall I say "thank you".
Warren
Mar 17, 2008 Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Warren by: Joel
Shelves:
This book could save your life if you were stranded in the wilderness. It's a clear-cut, well written book with good diagrams and drawings that clearly show you how to use what's available to survive. The pages are nice, thick stock, and the cover is even rubberized to prevent the book from getting wet! I highly reccommend this to anyone.
Stan Bartkus
Jul 10, 2015 Stan Bartkus is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm treating this as a read & do.
I take this book, once a month, for a walk into the woods/fields around a wilderness resort.
Last month's project was to find & eat Fig 7/Purslane, and Fig 8/Chickory. Chickory is a tasty version of Endive when boiled twice and served with butter, salt & pepper. Yum.

Frances
Dec 17, 2013 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of useful information about what to eat and where to find it if you should be lost in the North American woods. The best part about it is the 1950's prose, where Bradford Angier sounds like he came from the movie True Grit (2010). I liked to imagine that the Bear Man was narrating the whole book.
Heidi
Jul 14, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well lets be honest i haven't read the whole thing but i'll be bringing it with me when the you know what goes down! At which time i'm sure I will be reading the rest. And hey it's got a rubber cover so it's water proof. This guy thinks of everything.
Vincent
Apr 19, 2009 Vincent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Loads of useful information broken down into accessible sections: Food, Shelter, Orientation, Safety, etc. Also, many diagrams and drawings showing how to build or do lifesaving activities. A handy book to store with your camping gear, just in case.
Andy Weston
Sep 17, 2007 Andy Weston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mountain people
Read very many times between 1989 and now. Absolutely fantastic stuff. The original bushcraft, and a must in any mountain person's library. My favourite is either how to make sunglasses from bark, or how a vegetarian can enjoy a fresh roadkill.
Robert Lewter
May 16, 2013 Robert Lewter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this book since I was 12. This is probably the best wilderness survival book ever written. Bradford Angier was prepping before it was a fad. I even gave my daughter a copy, because, God help us, I fear she will need it.
Stephen
Jan 28, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an EXCELLENT how to book for wilderness survival. It has lots of pictures and diagrams. The illustrations are well done and show exactly what you need to know. It is great for adults or kids who want to learn.
Michael  Baggetta
I read this book when I was around 16 years old and loved it! I did a-lot of camping in those days!This book contains many things which will save your life if you are lost or stranded in the forest!
Jonathan
Explores a lot of good ideas, but you get the feeling from reading it that a lot of what is suggested isn't practical in the real-world sense. It's a good place to start though.
Jennyo
Jun 15, 2010 Jennyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I found this one in the back seat of my friends car. What a read! Very useful and interesting. You never know when you'll find yourself without a grocery store...
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land
  • Where There Is No Dentist
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis