Start by marking “So Much Blood” as Want to Read:
So Much Blood

So Much Blood (Charles Paris #2)

Appearing in his own one-man show on Thomas Hood at the Edinburgh Festival, middle-aged actor Charles Paris finds himself falling for a gorgeous young girl with navy-blue eyes. He also finds himself being dragged into a complex murder investigation involving the death of a fading pop star, a bomb scare in Holyrood Palace and a suicide leap from the top of the Rock.
Published November 21st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about So Much Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Much Blood

Paul
Feb 04, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
This is the second of the umpteen Charles Paris books. Like the first it works really well as a mystery and if all you want out of a whodunnit book is some interesting situations, enough characters and possibilities to keep you guessing then this has all that.

Personally I like the character of Paris, and I appreciate how it doesn't out-stay its welcome but I'd like a little more from it. Also feels a bit dated now.
Jenny
Nov 21, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining but worth reading (perhaps much like Charles's Fringe show itself!). Charles ends up in Edinburgh for the film festival due to a show having been cancelled last minute and being able to fill in with his one-mad show about the poet Thomas Hood.

He once again gets involved with a much younger woman before realizing it's a bad idea ((view spoiler)
Randee Baty
Even though this is the second in the Charles Paris series, it was my first introduction to him. I read this when I was 15 or 16 and fell in love with it and with Charles Paris. I've reread it several times since then and, much as I love it, I have begun to see the flaws.

It's set in Edinburgh during the Festival. Charles is doing his one-man show of Thomas Hood's poems as a fill in for a show that had to cancel. In the course of a photo shoot for another play being done by the same theater group
Nan Silvernail
Not quite divorced Actor Charles Paris comes to do his one man show at the Edinburgh fringe festival. During a one-on-one acting exercise on truth with theater students a handsome young man confides to him that he is afraid of someone in the company. Very soon after that the young man is killed in an accident involving what should have been prop knives, only one was all too real. Was it truly an accident?

The one good thing this book did was to expose me to Thomas Hood and to make me want to go r
Christian
Jul 07, 2015 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars for the lead-up, three stars for the ending. I loved everything about Charles Paris' one-man-show at the Edinburgh Fringe (that "D.U.D.S. on the Fringe" posted made to advertise the show made me literally laugh out loud for several minutes.) The problem I had was with the ending. (SPOILERS AHEAD) The spurned homosexual committing murder upon rejection or self-loathing has become an unfortunate trope over the years. Perhaps it was more shocking when this book was first published but it ...more
Edwin
Jul 25, 2013 Edwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to do quite a bit of stage acting, and as such I thought that Brett's characters within the theatrical world were very fun and relatively true to form. Moreover, I really enjoyed the fact that his detective is a man with a great number of foibles, and as an amateur detective acts as such: an amateur. Very enjoyable quick read, with believable characters.
Aidan
Sep 10, 2011 Aidan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
An interesting setting which sees jobbing actor (and sleuth) Charles Paris hit the Edinburgh Fringe helps make the early part of this book, the second in the series, quite entertaining. Sadly though, the mystery at the heart of the novel proves to be one of the weaker ones in the series and it is hard not to be two or three steps ahead of the sleuth as the story winds to its end.
Jane
Aug 21, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Usually lovely whodoneits, but really had trouble getting it to this one. Not sure if it was the dated characters and references or just my lack of focus at the end of school. I will try the other Simon Brett that is on my bookshelf to see if I enjoy it more. I believe I just read on Poisoned Pens' newsletter that this author just received some kind of lifetime achievement award.
John Lee
After completing the last of the Fethering series, it will be nice to get back to Charles Paris.

Not quite as good as I remembered it but perhaps it will take another couple to get fully back into the series.
Bria Halligan
Jan 05, 2016 Bria Halligan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, but the last chapter was sort of uninteresting to me. It broke off the book without a conclusion. Other than that the book was good. I would recommend it to anyone who likes mystery/murder books.
Laura rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Martin Pickard
Martin Pickard rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2007
Robert Bullough
Robert Bullough rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Howthebodyworks
Howthebodyworks rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Deborah Lyons
Deborah Lyons rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Heather Cawte
Heather Cawte rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2009
Helen Cook
Helen Cook rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Christina Jones
Christina Jones rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
Neil
Neil rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Susan Chapek
Susan Chapek rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Valchera
Valchera rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Authors Name 1 4 Mar 28, 2009 11:24PM
  • In the Evil Day
  • Monash: The Outsider Who Won a War
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Old Enemies
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • Carnal Hours (Nathan Heller, #7)
  • Murder at Deviation Junction (Jim Stringer, #4)
  • Funeral Note
  • Fatal Impact (Dr. Anya Crichton, #7)
  • The Last Explorer: Hubert Wilkins, Hero of the Great Age of Polar Exploration
  • Burial Of Ghosts
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • One Sunday
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • The Prisoner of Brenda
  • The Unquiet Heart (Danny McRae, #2)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Charles Paris (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cast, in Order of Disappearance (Charles Paris, #1)
  • Star Trap
  • An Amateur Corpse (Charles Paris, #4)
  • A Comedian Dies (Charles Paris, #5)
  • The Dead Side of the Mike (Charles Paris, #6)
  • Situation Tragedy
  • Murder Unprompted
  • Murder in the Title: A Crime Novel
  • Not Dead, Only Resting: A Charles Paris Mystery
  • Dead Giveaway (Charles Paris, #11)

“No furniture is so charming as books, even if you never open them or read a single word.” 2 likes