Start by marking “So Much Blood” as Want to Read:
So Much Blood

So Much Blood (Charles Paris #2)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Appearing in his own one-man show on Thomas Hood at the Edinburgh Festival, middle-aged actor Charles Paris finds himself falling for a gorgeous young girl with navy-blue eyes. He also finds himself being dragged into a complex murder investigation involving the death of a fading pop star, a bomb scare in Holyrood Palace and a suicide leap from the top of the Rock.
Published November 21st 2011 by Severn Select (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about So Much Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Much Blood

Randee Baty
Even though this is the second in the Charles Paris series, it was my first introduction to him. I read this when I was 15 or 16 and fell in love with it and with Charles Paris. I've reread it several times since then and, much as I love it, I have begun to see the flaws.

It's set in Edinburgh during the Festival. Charles is doing his one-man show of Thomas Hood's poems as a fill in for a show that had to cancel. In the course of a photo shoot for another play being done by the same theater group...more
Nan Silvernail
Not quite divorced Actor Charles Paris comes to do his one man show at the Edinburgh fringe festival. During a one-on-one acting exercise on truth with theater students a handsome young man confides to him that he is afraid of someone in the company. Very soon after that the young man is killed in an accident involving what should have been prop knives, only one was all too real. Was it truly an accident?

The one good thing this book did was to expose me to Thomas Hood and to make me want to go r...more
Paul
This is the second of the umpteen Charles Paris books. Like the first it works really well as a mystery and if all you want out of a whodunnit book is some interesting situations, enough characters and possibilities to keep you guessing then this has all that.

Personally I like the character of Paris, and I appreciate how it doesn't out-stay its welcome but I'd like a little more from it. Also feels a bit dated now.
Jane
Usually lovely whodoneits, but really had trouble getting it to this one. Not sure if it was the dated characters and references or just my lack of focus at the end of school. I will try the other Simon Brett that is on my bookshelf to see if I enjoy it more. I believe I just read on Poisoned Pens' newsletter that this author just received some kind of lifetime achievement award.
Aidan
An interesting setting which sees jobbing actor (and sleuth) Charles Paris hit the Edinburgh Fringe helps make the early part of this book, the second in the series, quite entertaining. Sadly though, the mystery at the heart of the novel proves to be one of the weaker ones in the series and it is hard not to be two or three steps ahead of the sleuth as the story winds to its end.
Edwin
I used to do quite a bit of stage acting, and as such I thought that Brett's characters within the theatrical world were very fun and relatively true to form. Moreover, I really enjoyed the fact that his detective is a man with a great number of foibles, and as an amateur detective acts as such: an amateur. Very enjoyable quick read, with believable characters.
John Lee
After completing the last of the Fethering series, it will be nice to get back to Charles Paris.

Not quite as good as I remembered it but perhaps it will take another couple to get fully back into the series.
Alison
Another good read from Simon Brett. Gentle enough to be relaxing in spite of the subject matter.
Lisa
a great who done it! I liked it better than the first one!
Kathy
A very enjoyable whodunit and a nice quick read.
John
John added it
Oct 12, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Authors Name 1 3 Mar 28, 2009 11:24PM
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte...more
More about Simon Brett...
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)

“No furniture is so charming as books, even if you never open them or read a single word.” 1 likes