Start by marking “Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson” as Want to Read:
Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson

Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Tom Simpson was an Olympic medallist, world champion and the first Briton to wear the fabled yellow jersey of the Tour de France. He died a tragic early death on the barren moonscape of the Mont Ventoux during the 1967 Tour. A man of contradictions, Simpson was one of the first cyclists to admit to using banned drugs, and was accused of fixing races, yet the dapper 'Major ...more
Published December 31st 2012 by Vintage Digital (first published June 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Put Me Back On My Bike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Put Me Back On My Bike

Fotheringham is an excellent sports journalist, and his knowledge of the arcane world of professional cycling is evident in this book. Two quibbles: in tackling the question of drug use in cycling, he never quite manages to evoke the corps de espirit amongst the cycling fraternity which undoubtedly is at the heart of the chronic doping problem - the sense of a world where certain rules apply differently, an understanding that "what happens in the Peleton stays in the Peleton."

My other problem wi
I really admired Fotheringham's balanced approach to his subject. It's sometimes too easy to give in and be defensive when you genuinely like the person you're writing about, and Simpson clearly was a likeable man.

Fotheringham kept enough distance to write about where Simpson went wrong, and how Simpson's death was a tragedy brought on not only by the amphetamines in his system, but by his determination to ride himself into oblivion, which cost him his life a short distance from the summit of Mo
russell barnes
Sep 30, 2013 russell barnes rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to russell by: pete
Shelves: sport, biog, cycling
Even with the updated afterward and chapters, this is essentially a very big story struggling to get out of a thin book about a man cycling up a mountain and dying at the top.

Where it gets interesting are the vignettes from Simpson's life that Fotheringham unearths, each one fleshing out the man who for most of us only exists as a memorial stone on Mount Ventoux, and few grainy photos.

What emerges is a hugely appealing personality, whose drive and ambition, tragically combined with the treadmill
Dan Cohen

Good biography of Tom Simpson and well worth a read. As with a number of books on similar subjects recently, it's almost as much about the author's journey in finding out about his subject as it is about the subject himself. If truth be told I'm getting a bit bored with this approach, although I do understand the temptation.
This book is excellent. You don't need to be knowledgable on cycling or medicine as it breaks everything down into layman's terms. If you don't follow the Tour de France every July, I suggest you find some footage of a stage that involves mont ventoux so you can see exactly what a beast it is.

There were a few minor irritations from the writing. Words are spelt differently (with a hyphen here, without there). Events raised in an early chapter and then in a subsequent chapter were not referenced t
Adam Cave
Fascinating recount of a fascinating, quirky and talented character. Pioneer of British cycling, inspirational. The underlying theme of drug use shows how deep and rooted the issues in cycling are.
Feb 09, 2015 Kate marked it as to-buy  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Rob Penn
Colin Lowndes
Thoroughly excellent read! Extremely well balanced account of a man who wold have split the cycling world if he were alive today! This covers the triumphs as a track pursuit cyclist and a road racer as well as the substance abuse Simpson went through to be the best and sadly led to his death on Mont Vetoux during the 1967 Tour de France. An excellent read about Britain's fist wearer of the Maillot Jaune!
Simon Curtis
A fascinating account of the life of Tommy Simpson - whose memorial on Mt Ventoux I have stood next to on over a dozen occasions - from his early life to his tragic death. Intensely driven, a desire for money overcoming any health fears, it ultimately led to a death on a lunar landscape in heat of 40degrees.
Jul 07, 2011 ChristinaJL rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ChristinaJL by: Dave Harmon
Shelves: cycling
Very insightful account of Tom Simpson's career and pro cycling in the sixties. It gives you a good idea of just how tough these cyclists are but also how hard some are prepared to push their limits in pursuit of success.
Charlie Durell
A most interesting insight to professional cycling in the 1960's. A well written book that captures the level of expectation in the profession and competitive nature of the sport.
This book was interesting, giving a good insight into the foreign world of cycling in the 1960s. It focused a little too much on the drugs but was otherwise brilliant.
Barry Bridges
Not strictly a full biography, more an in depth analysis of the mind of Tom Simpson and the factors that contributed to his sad demise on Mont Ventoux.
Brian Lavis
Disappointing really. Doesn't really live up to being a great read, but it is an interesting insight into the man Tom Simpson.
Gary Morris
Well written account. Interesting overview of the man and the tragedy
One of the best books of its kind that I have read.
Alejandro R.
Alejandro R. marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Dorothy Ross
Dorothy Ross is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Elizabeth Smith
Elizabeth Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Chris Parkinson
Chris Parkinson marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Nick Winder
Nick Winder is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2015
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France
  • Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal
  • Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape: The Remarkable Life of Jacques Anquetil, the First Five-Times Winner of the Tour de France
  • A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
  • French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France