Start by marking “The New Recruit (Liam Scott, #1)” as Want to Read:
The New Recruit (Liam Scott, #1)

The New Recruit (Liam Scott #1)

What if your prank killed your best friend. Could you live with yourself?

You try to forget and move on; you enrol in Army training, you want to make something of your life. The training is tough and it almost breaks you. But you survive; you know you'll make a good soldier.

Finally, when you're out in Afghanistan, under enemy fire, you come face-to-face with your best frien
Published January 3rd 2013 by Doubleday Childrens (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The New Recruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Recruit

Ryan  Buckby
Jul 10, 2016 Ryan Buckby rated it liked it
actual rating: 3.5

this book was good, i enjoyed how the story played out during my reading of the book but i don't think i will be continuing on with this series. I'm not saying this book was bad but i just didn't like the genre very much but i think if you love these types of war stories then it will be right up your alley.

thank you to the author for putting the glossary at the beginning of the book because it helped with all the confusing terms that were in through out the book.
Rachael
Jan 28, 2015 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-read-again
I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did, I'm usually into magic, fantasy and the likes. But yeah I really enjoyed it.
I was apprehensive before reading thinking that I'd be easily confused by army vocab but the way McNab wrote made it easier to understand (the index at the front also helped a great deal).
As a first time reader of anything army related I found it really interesting to learn about all of the equipment, ranks and procedures. McNab writes it with the enthusiasm of a first time
Aryan
Oct 10, 2016 Aryan rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book because I have read one or two books from the same author but not in the same series. Andy McNab writes spy and military books based of true stories. Great for people who have nothing to do on a rainy Sunday. When I went to the library I went straight to the "Teen Reads" shelf and saw heaps of books I had read. I saw this book and realised it was from a author I am familiar with so I picked it up and flicked through a couple of pages and thought it was going to be a ...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Apr 02, 2013 ♥ Ashleigh ♥ contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad! rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ppl thinking of enlisting in the army.
Who knew a war book could be so good? i would of given it 5 stars if i was more attached to the characters, but with the way the author wrote it that was pretty much impossible, which in itself isnt a bad thing being that its about war and the soldiers have to close them selves off - but then this is a book not not a biography.
the details about all the SMG's, BASHA, ASM and etc would of been a pain in the ass but McNab managed to write it in a way where someone like me (who understands NOTHING a
Danny Scott
Sep 25, 2015 Danny Scott rated it really liked it
I was apprehensive about reading 'The New Recruit' at first, as it was not well-known and could possibly be a bit rubbish because of that. But, I read on and I am soooooooo glad that I did so.

(SPOILERS FROM HERE ONWARDS)

The book opens with a young soldier, Liam Scott, training to be a soldier. He completes many activities on his way and trains up to go and clash with the Taliban out in Afghanistan.

Then the story reveals how his best friend Dan had died in a free running accident years ago that L
Carien
Oct 09, 2015 Carien rated it really liked it
The beginning dragged a little for me but once training was over, oh, my, word!

What an adrenaline filled race to the end!
You watch these things on film and the heroes come home, but this is reality and not everyone comes home. And those who do, will never be the same again.

I could not put it down In the end and desperately wanted to know what happens when the pressure and danger kept mounting. When those you must trust are not trustworthy, what is left?

I am glad I persevered through training,
Jim Whitefield
Feb 13, 2014 Jim Whitefield rated it really liked it
The start of a new series by McNab follows the story of a young soldier through his training and then into the thick of things in Afghanistan. The first half may seem a little slow to develop, but it gives insight into what new recruits have to go through as it also develops the new character and his difficult past, some of which catches up with him later in the book. The second half is more intense and very much the more familiar McNab style. A very easy read, somewhat predictable, but ...more
Jessica
Sep 03, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
I have to be honest, I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It wasn't as brutal and gut wrenching as the more 'authobiographical' Bravo Two Zero. But then this is a fiction, though it's written by a guy who is rather familiar with British military life. I found this genuinely easy reading.
Ashley Charles
Aug 10, 2016 Ashley Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
Decent book, not one that i'll ever find myself re-reading however. The story was okay but could have added more detail between Liam and Mike. The book also seemed to feel short and maybe could have just been fleshed out more.
Jane Plumridge
Jul 21, 2014 Jane Plumridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andy-mcnab
A great read, and a good insight on what it takes to become a soldier, then go on to serve in Afghanistan. Couldn't put it down. Plot was perhaps a bit predictable but this didn't affect my enjoyment. I shall look forward to the next one!
Rebecca
It was good not great. Being a soldier Andy McNab's description of the training and of combat in Afghanistan was excellent. However, the underlying story of the brother who blaimed the recruit for his brother's death was a bit of let down otherwise I would have given it more.
adam haines
It has to be one of the most realistic military fiction based books I have ever read it just lures you in from the start and once you finish the first book you just want the next
Lisa
Apr 17, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Andy McNabb writes great stories from first person of experiences in the military. While occasionally stilted, they are always interesting and give a good indication of what being a soldier is like.
Liam
May 24, 2015 Liam rated it liked it
3.5 stars would be more accurate.
A decent little story and I picked up some knowledge about the army throughout which was a nice touch. Nothing spectacular here, but solid and fairly entertaining.
Tanysha-Rochelle Jones
Apr 18, 2016 Tanysha-Rochelle Jones rated it really liked it
The first Liam Scott thriller is absolutely amazing this book tells you what its really like at war
LordOfTheReads
Apr 09, 2014 LordOfTheReads rated it it was ok
Not the best read, an ok story and some very basic prose to boot. Nice dialogue though.
Brett Winchester
Jun 15, 2016 Brett Winchester rated it it was amazing
This was the first Andy McNab book I ever read and boy I love it. An intense journey filled with heart pumping action and a few teary moments.
Can't wait for the next instalment.
Drew Rankin
Jan 21, 2014 Drew Rankin rated it did not like it
I found I quite boring, it was good but got boring as I continued to read it. I didn't read it to the end but I think if I read it further it would have gotten better.
Scarlett Frazer
Scarlett Frazer rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
michael
michael rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Abigail Davis
Abigail Davis rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Mason B
Mason B rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Richard Estep
Richard Estep rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Trev Churchill
Trev Churchill rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
Ash Holland
Ash Holland rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Nathan Edwards
Nathan Edwards rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Mark Donovan
Mark Donovan rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Andy Cadman
Andy Cadman rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Kill Zone
  • 3 Para
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • Operation Certain Death
  • The Regiment: The Real Story of the SAS
  • On The Dock
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Liam Scott (3 books)
  • The New Patrol (Liam Scott, #2)
  • The New Enemy (Liam Scott, #3)