Start by marking “The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin” as Want to Read:
The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin

The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin

A treasury of over 900 quotations spoken by the first "American" as well as numerous entertaining anecdotes about his adventures and misadventures, making it the fourth in the WIT & WISDOM series from RHVP. Covering everything from Sage Sayings to Franklin Fables, it even incudes a time line of Franklin's life and the world around him.
Published April 17th 2001 by Gramercy (first published March 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin

Ava C
May 27, 2016 Ava C rated it really liked it
This book by James C. Humes compiles the many sayings and philosophical figurings of Benjamin Franklin. From his opinions on certain issues of the time to his opinion on other famous people, he uses wit and cleverness to express his beliefs.

I knew a little about Benjamin Franklin before I read this book, but he was such a multifaceted person that there was much more for me to learn. He was a printer, writer, librarian, politician, inventor, scientist, postmaster, philosopher, and an avant-garde
Cookav
Nov 19, 2015 Cookav rated it really liked it

Ensiform
Dec 18, 2011 Ensiform rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
A collection of sayings and anecdotes by and about Franklin. This “book” is worthless on every level --- it’s neither informative nor entertaining; indeed, it’s admirable as an achievement only in that it’s so shoddily put together.

The facts and quotes lack any attribution. The quotes are listed by categories seemingly selected at random, often overlapping, such as “Preparedness” and “Planning,” “Pomposity” and “Pretentiousness,” or “Cash” and “Money.” Other categories contain quotes seemingly u
Sue
May 17, 2016 Sue rated it liked it
I got tired of it fairly quickly, flipped to the end.

Franklin was an incredible genius, and did a LOT for humanity and the USA, as we know it.
Christine
Jul 22, 2016 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
collection of quotes
Robert
Jan 29, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
This was a gift from the Franklin Institute. I am not exactly certain why, but it may have been for serving as a judge for the science web site conference in D.C.

All of Ben's stuff is here. The thing is, in this day and age of the Internet, a book of quotations seems overkill.
Maurean
Dec 10, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I luv all things Ben, and so I refer to this little gem from time to time. A fabulous collection, really.

(This is actually the mister's book; I purchased it for him for Christmas 2003 - he's another Franklin fan, obviously. But, really, who isn't?)
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite little books; nothing in depth, just bits and pieces of Franklin's humor.
Sharon Goss
Apr 17, 2012 Sharon Goss rated it liked it
Very quick read. Interesting.
TwigTw
TwigTw rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jason Lester
Jason Lester rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Red Sambo
Red Sambo rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Gekitsuu
Gekitsuu rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Drew Neisser
Drew Neisser rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Tyler Prohaska
Tyler Prohaska rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Irene
Irene added it
Feb 05, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Roger
Roger added it
Jan 10, 2016
Jason D'Souza
Jason D'Souza marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Cory Early
Cory Early rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Glenn Curry
Glenn Curry is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015
Davo Harutyunyan
Davo Harutyunyan marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Michael  Rozes
Michael Rozes marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James C. Humes was Ronald Reagan's speechwriter. He also wrote speeches for George H.W. Bush, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon and Dwight Eisenhower. He has served as a communications advisor to major U.S. corporations, including IBM and DuPont. He is the author of twenty-three other books.
More about James C. Humes...