Start by marking “A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds” as Want to Read:
A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds

A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Judith O'Reilly, author of the hugely popular blog and book Wife in the North embarks on a year long social experiment in the witty A Year of Doing Good.

Fed up of New Year's resolutions involving diets and exercise abandoned on January 2nd, Judith is attempting to be good. For one whole year.

Published January 1st 2013 by Penguin Books (first published December 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Year of Doing Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year of Doing Good

Merry
Judith is an engaging diarist and this her second book is both thought-provoking and funny. Very funny in places! I was sorry to finish it and it left me contemplating the effect we have on each other in life. Small acts of benevolence and kindness can and do change the recipient's day/mindset/life.

It is also personal and poignant - achingly so on maternal love.

I look forward to the day when her novel breaks out of the drawer, I really do -
Emma
Found this book in Tesco supermarket and bought it on a whim as I like diary style books. It was really good and I didn't want to put it down. I thought it might be a bit preachy at times bearing in mind the subject matter but it wasn't AND it made me think which was probably what the author wsa aiming to do. It would have been easy for the author to just put money in charity boxes each day and draw the line there but she didn't - she went quite a way beyond that on some occasions. I'm now inter ...more
Gerri Tennant
I was originally quite put off this book when I realised that it was a factual account of someone doing good deeds for a whole year, explained in detail day by day. However, I soon got into it and loved the author's cheeky sense of humour, occasional expletives and mercifully few deep investigations into the psychology of what she was doing. It was funny, sad, well observed and thought provoking and I was very sad when I reached the end. Very inspirational.
Vicky Thomasson
I thought the concept of this book was really good. I could relate to a lot of what O'Reilly wrote because I too have lost a child and know how difficult it can be to help people (I recently was told I couldn't help the homeless at christmas because I didn't have the right qualifications!). The only problem I have with this book is that I am a Tory girl through and through! I thought it was funny and realistic. Definitely worth a read.
penelopewanders
I signed up for this ring, and the irony is that while I was reading it I attended a conference at which one of the speakers confirmed one of the premises of this book - ie doing good does good, and not just for the recipient. I had a number of loud chuckles when I began reading this, but have to confess that after a while I found it a bit of a slog. Some parts were quite interesting, and the question of who benefits the most was worth contemplating. I found I engaged more again towards the end, ...more
Di

She embarked on a mission to do one good deed every day. Some called it a social experiment. At times she called it madness.

Juggling family, friends and a variety of neighbours in the small Northumberland village she calls home, she recounts the ups, downs, moments of doubt and sheer bloody hard work of doing good.

From the small - babysitting a friend's chi
Juliet Wilson
Judith O'Reilly made a New Year's resolution to do a good deed every day and in this book she records the deeds she did, how she felt about them and muses on the meaning of doing good. Along the way she makes friends, meets philosophers, carers, lifeboat volunteers and others who spend their lives 'doing good' or in the case of philosophers thinking about doing good.

Some of the good deeds are small, like letting people in front of her in queues, some are large (and ongoing) like teaching a disab
L Clare
I chose this book from the library's display of 'New Non-Fiction' because Catholicism is mentioned on the back cover but nearly didn't read it beyond the introduction once the author had made her views on some of the Church's teachings clear. I thought Ms O'Reilly and I were too far apart in view to find a common ground and that reading her book would provoke me to anger. I, of course, am a perfect Catholic who agrees with the Church in every detail of her teaching.

No. I am not a perfect Catholi
Wren
When Judith O'Reilly announces on January first to her family and friends that she intends to do a good deed each day for the entire year, her husband puts his head in his hands and groans; setting the tone for this account of one ordinary, fallible woman inspired by the idea of doing good, doing things for others where she can.

Her writing is honest and humorous. She isn't afraid to let it be known that her good deeds can be frustrating as well as rewarding, and that at times she would really ra
Rosie Amber
I read about this book a while a go, then entered a competition to try to win a copy, finally I got my book! It is a true inspiration, written with humour and honesty. It is not pious or in your face, it's about everyday human life. The day I started reading it I began writing down any good deeds I had done that day, it's not easy it often requires effort, but at other times you can surprise yourself with the ease of doing something good for others. Having now finished, I intend to hunt out a ja ...more
Fab
Interesting idea & one I'd thought of s a New Year's resolution so it seemed an apt time to read the book.

On one hand, she did a lot of good and made a lot of effort. On the other, some of the deeds - randomly posting books and phoning relatives, not to mention the poor ex-pats who get a rough deal- or at least a lousy reputation, seem like a bit of a cop out.

I had thought of doing the same, but on a quiet Sunday with family you resort to flinging a couple of quid at the nearest charity to s
Hayley
Judith O'Reilly pledges to do one good deed a day for a whole year. Despite the occasional resentment or reluctance to carry out certain good deeds which entail a substantial degree of personal inconvenience, she carries them out regardless and remains true to her pledge. A lovely and inspiring read; would recommend to anyone.
Cathy
Feb 03, 2014 Cathy added it
Thought provoking and, at times, tear jerking. It really made me think about myself. Feels very honest.
Catrinamaria
Easy, enjoyable read that has made me think about goodness and kindness. Find myself lacking of course-big time. And I don't have children or sick parents to stop me. Landscapes and towns of Northumberland which I know and love so well, clearly drawn and atmospheric. Strongly drawn relationships -particularly teaching Chryssie to write-and learning so much from her. I do think Judith should write the screenplay next and leave the novel until later. Surely One Day's Author would help as his good ...more
Stephenie
Very relevant at this time of year. It is authentically funny, at times very sad, and an interesting concept turned into a poignant call for action to do good things in the world. It also hit home for me being local to the Humber Estuary, and being very familiar with the devastating effects the murky waters and strong current can have on the surrounding community. The book touched me enough, at-least, to start my own ‘Jam Jar Army’ fund. Definitely worth a read!
Hannah
Perfectly fine book, easy to read but somehow it didn't work. I wanted to be left overall feeling inspired but actually my end point feeling was a tad of envy of the author because she has this amazing network of family and friends! Just missing something to give it that elusive appeal that the author is one of us all along ...
Jill Annables
I loved this - it was honest and down to earth - and it was about every day people not something pie in the sky. It makes you think about your contribution and yes I have a jam jar on the go..... love this and my favourite bit - Northumberland all big skies and sheep It captures this part of the world perfectly!
Christine Dee
Loved this book very inspirational ... sad in places but mainly made me smile a lot and laugh out loud often! I think there are sections in the book which everyone will be able to associate with .... overall enjoyable read and a pleasant change form doom and gloom in lots of novels.

Nastassja
I didn't even bring myself to finish the book. I personally felt the good deeds would be more than putting money in charity tins and picking up her friends kids from school. I found the book very uninspiring which is a shame because I bought it thinking it would be.
Dennie
I just could not get into this. I couldn't relate to the writer and gave up after 134 good deeds. Many of these were repeated and some of which i would consider work not good deeds.
Karen
Enjoyed this book. Very well written and a few laugh out loud moments. Also liked the lay out of the book. Recommend to anyone wanting something a little bit different to read.
Bev
Interesting book, and an intriguing resolution - to do a good deed every day for a year. Not sure I could do it but I admire the author for completing it.
Harriet
Was not a fan. Loved her book, 'Wife in the North' but this one seemed a rather limp sequel. Found her sniping at the Catholic church rather tedious too.
Ange Hampton
Did not finish the book. Found it interesting at times but just didn't get into it and it still sits in my cupboard half read.
Michelle
Thoroughly enjoyable account of the author's attempt to spend a year of her life doing one good deed a day.
Erica Fairs
Ms O'Reilly never disappoints. Beautiful, funny and sometimes so sad. It's not so easy doing good deeds!
Kathryn
Can't read any more of this book - it's too dull.
Sally Duffy
Dull. Didn't get one star as I didn't hate it.
Sabrina  Wee
Sabrina Wee marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014