Start by marking “Dusk” as Want to Read:

Dusk

One December afternoon, boy with dog and grandfather with beard take a walk to watch the sun begin to set over the river. When the sun drops low in the sky, they start home. Buildings grow dimmer. People are rushing. As nature's lights go out, one by one, city's lights turn on, revealing brilliant Hanukkah, Kwanza, and Christmas displays in streets, homes, and stores. A ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dusk

Mary
Oct 04, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but can't really explain why. It was kind of odd, but in a really enjoyable way.
Deanne Hyde boilesen
Jun 12, 2014 Deanne Hyde boilesen rated it liked it
Shelves: multi-cultural
Dusk
Opening Move: During winter, there are many different types of festivals that use lights and candles. Have you seen lights as part of displays, parades, or in peoples’ homes? What might they mean? DO you have lights at your house?

Opening reflection: Lay the ground work for children’s understanding of diverse people and setting.

Text to world: More serious observance has become a little more normal, embracing all winter celebrations. Folks are learning more about older festivals and customs f
Cheri
Nov 07, 2013 Cheri rated it did not like it
I had high hopes!

Crushed.

First, I never got the hang of reading this book--"grandfather with beard", "lady with hat", it just felt off to read it, rather than sounding stylized. Then they added an alien from another planet who looked like just another white guy, but spoke in some language that sounded like a combination of Yiddish and Polish. WTF? We didn't NEED an alien! We definitely didn't NEED to try to read that smashup of nonsense words after the weird way the book was already going. I thi
Drew Graham
Sep 18, 2015 Drew Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
As a short winter day comes to its close, Boy with Dog and Grandfather with Beard watch as the sunlight fades and the city lights come to life.

Uri Shulevitz's Snow became a fast favorite in our house a couple years ago, and although this one was fairly well-received by The Boy (2), it doesn't seem to have the same charm and innocence about it. Most of the art was still really interesting and I liked that the setting took a festive turn (though I have trouble with books that try to cram Kwanzaa i
Bill
Sep 24, 2013 Bill added it
Shelves: pb-narrative
I am not quite sure what to say about this book. Parts of it were beautiful and lyrical, with simple yet completely appropriate language; other parts, like the four profiles in verse of the passersby, seemed oddly out of place. The text-illustration combinations I found compelling on most pages. I am eager to find out about what child readers' reactions and responses to this book are.
Teresa
Apr 09, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it
I adore Uri's art but this really doesn't have the same oomph as "Snow!". There were 4 pages of rhyming shopping poems that seemed really out of placed.
Elaine Pelton
Just loved the enchanting illustrations, Sendak-esque narrative, urban setting, and multicultural themes. A wonderful holiday book! I would have been mesmerized by this story as a child.
Romelle
I like the illustrations and the fact that the city comes to life after dusk. In the evening we find the city lights all lit up revealing a celebration of Christmas, Hannukkah and Kwanzaa.
Tasha
Oct 17, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
On a snowy December evening, a boy, his dog, and grandfather talk a walk. They stop to watch the sun sink over the river and then they head into the city. There people are in a great hurry. There are people shopping for gifts for their children, others heading home to feed their cats, and even an alien speaking its own language. As darkness falls, the lights in the city start to turn on. First just a few, then more, and finally the boy and grandfather are downtown near the large shop windows and ...more
Jill
Dec 21, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Uri Shulevitz is one of my favorite author/illustrators. To me he is sort of a Maurice-Sendak-Lite. His drawings share with Sendak a lot of whimsy and attention to detail, but his stories tend not to focus on the darker aspects of childhood that so often recur as a theme for Sendak.

In Dusk, it is winter, close to the holidays, and a “boy with dog and grandfather with beard go for a walk.” The boy is sad when the sun starts to sink in the sky. The grandfather announces “Dusk.”

They walk back to
Ruth Anne
Aug 10, 2016 Ruth Anne added it
Shelves: 2014
The illustrations portray the glow of the setting sun and then the glow from the city lights. The watercolor and pen and ink drawings use rich colors especially blue, red and yellow. I especially appreciate the final set of nearly wordless pages showing the city coming to life with the colors and lights at night. Even though there are multiple faiths depicted with Christmas trees, Hanukkah menorahs and Kwanzaa kinara candles, I'm missing seeing a multi-cultural population in this city. The ...more
Pam
Dec 07, 2013 Pam rated it did not like it
Dusk-what a wonderful and magical time of day! With that thought, I had high expectations for this book, but the reality of this book dashed those hopes. The story lacks consistency; the beginning is quiet and grammatically awkward, the middle suddenly erupts with strange characters and becomes wordy with a rhyming format, and last few pages have no words at all! The strange characters seemingly appear out of nowhere and apparently were an attempt to fix a story that lacks substance. The ...more
Christine Turner
Jan 08, 2014 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: night
One December afternoon, boy with dog and grandfather with beard take a walk to watch the sun begin to set over the river. When the sun drops low in the sky, they start home. Buildings grow dimmer. People are rushing. As nature's lights go out, one by one, city's lights turn on, revealing brilliant Hanukkah, Kwanza, and Christmas displays in streets, homes, and stores.

This is a nice companion to Uri Shulevitz's book "Snow." It would also pair beautifully with the book "Twilight," by David McPhail
Betsy
Nov 28, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
3 for text and 4 for illustrations. I think Shulevitz's Snow is a stronger (and similar) book.

My favorite part of the illustrations is the way the colors actually grow brighter as night descends. It's a beautiful reminder to look around during a busy holiday season--particularly when night descends earlier than it does other times of the year.

Still, the story itself didn't wow me. I'm not sure what's up with the alien, for example.....
Angie
Jul 08, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A boy with dog and grandfather with beard take a walk at dusk and discover the lights of the town make it just as bright as day. This is a very quirky book that I don't think will appeal to a lot of kids. Some of the language is fun, but others just don't make sense. I'm not sure there is a lot of cohesion to the story either. And the alien was completely unnecessary. I did like the fact that all the winter holidays were represented...made the book more multicultural, but that didn't save the ...more
Diane
Feb 21, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
"It's getting dark," said boy with dog. "How sad, the day is no more." But as he and grandpa continue to walk through the town, he sees that the darkness does not stop people from coming out into the city. As the streetlights come on, people are everywhere, enjoying the evening. "It's as light as day," said the boy.

The illustrations in this book are just gorgeous! A very simple story but a beautiful message.
Chris
Oct 19, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are cool; the day going from sunshine to darkness is illustrated really nicely. We meet a few odd but interesting people, each with his/her own destination. The lights come on slowly - and the reader soon learns that it's not just WINTER, it's the holiday season. Depictions of lights in several cultures are shown. Words are sparse and unexpected - grammatically and syntactically (have I just invented a new word?)
Bree
Feb 16, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
after an author study on Shulevitz this book was one of the kids' least favorites -- they didn't even ask to read it twice (they are not preschoolers though); the alien part made them laugh; this book is patterned after 'Snow' but isn't as magical; the art is beautiful and colorful but the overall feeling for us was blah
Teresa Edmunds
Jan 04, 2015 Teresa Edmunds rated it liked it
“Dusk” follows a boy and his grandfather through the streets of New York City as the sunsets. It is written as a long poem. The watercolor illustrations are nice. The story is nice. But that’s about the best it gets; just nice. It would be a good book for a grandparent to read to his/her grandchildren, but a student reading alone might not find it to be too special.
Barbara
Dec 05, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really like Shulevitz's illustrations. Dusk is lovely and colorful. The story line follows a boy and his grandfather as they traverse the city streets at dusk. They pass shoppers, store fronts and Christmas tree lots until the sky is dark and the city is lit up as bright as day. While the story is sweet, the ending leaves me feeling a little flat.
Barbara
Although dusk brings an end to the bright daylight hours, a boy and his grandfather find plenty of brightness at which to marvel. As lights come on in houses and stores and displays for the winter holidays are turned on, the night becomes almost as bright as day. The illustrations capture the richness of the sometimes garish holiday displays.
Amy
Aug 09, 2016 Amy rated it it was ok
Walking through dusk in a city (possibly in eastern Europe?) while dusk falls. City lights, including holiday lights, brighten the evening as warmly as daylight did. Illustrations are bright, warm and colorful. The text is quirky, with a family, then some city folks, then an alien and then the lights as the focus of the book. Skipping the shoppers and the alien might have helped the text.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Boy, Grandfather and dog take another walk through the city as dusk falls. Richly illustrated, this story focuses on the lengthening shadows of days end, evening activities and commencement of the evening rush to get home all as the lights of the winter holidays (Christmas and Hanukkah) come on to illuminate the night.
Janet
Jul 13, 2014 Janet rated it liked it
While the jacket flap states that this is a companion to Snow by the author, Dusk is not quite as good. The book does convey the change from natural light in a city to the artificial lights that shine. I do especially like the fact that Shulevitz depicts in several of the illustrations, books, book stores, a library and a poster that says to read.
Tracie
Apr 04, 2014 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
While out for a walk, a boy, his grandfather, and a dog witness a busy city's transition from day to night. Illustrations that depict Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa displays add warmth and excitement to the wintry setting. Subtle, unexpected humor ("a visitor from planet Zataplat?") keeps this story light.
Paul
Nov 04, 2014 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Shulevitz's illustrations are easy to process and engaging, as is the narrative arc. The most enjoyable feature of the book is the anticipation created through the title as the day's light recedes and is replaced by city lights, including those that are celebrating the winter holidays.
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 27, 2014 Tim Vandenberg rated it really liked it
After a ho-hum picture-book start, this book transforms in a glorious way as the city lights come out to play. Shulevitz creates a visually stunning work, though it takes half the book to get there.

Recommended.
Margie
Oct 13, 2013 Margie rated it really liked it
After reading this book, you wish you could walk with the boy and his dog along with grandfather. There is such peace in the simple words and colorful art of Uri Shulevitz.

My full review: http://bit.ly/15Qpy3a
Melanie
Award-winning Shulevitz brings readers another beautifully illustrated story of a boy, his dog and his grandfather. The trio are walking through a New-York-style city and watch the sun fall lower in the sky as dusk settles.
Linda
Oct 08, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
What a fun book. I like the way the author, through illustration and speech, contrasts the boy and grandpa as they're quietly at the outskirts of town, and when they're in the bustling city center. The sun goes down, but during this special time in Winter, the city never becomes completely dark.
  • Big Snow
  • One Gorilla
  • Red Knit Cap Girl to the Rescue
  • Come Back, Moon: with audio recording
  • Bluebird
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Papa's Mechanical Fish
  • Ah Ha!
  • The Mighty Lalouche
  • Inside Outside
  • Ding Dong! Gorilla!
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more
More about Uri Shulevitz...