Start by marking “21 Days Closer to Christ” as Want to Read:
21 Days Closer to Christ

21 Days Closer to Christ

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Nestled between the covers of this beautifully illustrated book is an invitation--an invitation to come closer to Christ through a 21-day journey. Each step of the journey introduces a new concept that will help you come to know and recognize the hand of the Lord in your life. With an emphasis on daily scripture study and personal prayer, each chapter concludes with an ass ...more
Published October 10th 2007 by Deseret Book Company

To ask other readers questions about 21 Days Closer to Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 21 Days Closer to Christ

Teri
I really liked this book! The format is great and lends itself to be a perfect book of daily devotionals(or weekly if preferred).

The chapters are short. Each one focuses on a title or role of the Savior. At the end of each chapter is an invitation to do something such as stand, pray, focus, etc. There is also a scriptural assignment.

Also at the end of the chapter is something called The Journey which is a challenge to apply the things learned in that chapter.

Each chapter also contains scriptur
Natalie
This was a beautifully written book. The author has a very gentle way of teaching the LDS Gospel. The thing I found most impressive was her interpretation of scripture stories. She has a unique way of looking at, what I thought, were very common scripture stories. Definitely helped my testimony grow and often brought me to tears. I loved it! I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to bring a little more Light into their lives.
Sally
Mar 31, 2014 Sally rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sally by: Kathy Davis (March 2014 Book Club selection)
Shelves: religion
This beautifully illustrated book is a lovely addition to one's personal journey to get closer to Christ. The sections are short with invitations to personally work on specific characteristics addressed in the book. I appreciated her personal experiences, but even more so, her understanding and interpretation of scripture.
Macy Robison
Beautiful book. I love the way the author views the world through the lens of the Gospel. About to start re-reading it.
Marshall
Nov 28, 2008 Marshall rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Marshall by: Danny Hastings
This is a wonderful book. I have decided to share it with other people, and invite them to a journey of their own, and leave their thoughts on one of the blank pages in the back before returning it back to me. My own thoughts that I left were as follows:
November 28, 2008
This has been a wonderful experience, reading stories each morning and adding this to my personal morning preparedness. I witness that preparing first thing in the morning before leaving into the world, your journey will be easie
Dorothea
I loved this book. I bought it on a whim because while I was looking at it a lady walked by me and said to me:"That's a really great book." So, I went for it. And I was not disappointed. The author breaks the book up into 21 small chapters. Each chapter has a story, most often from her personal life. I loved these stories. They were real and heartfelt and taught me things. She used these stories to illustrate a point from a scripture story from the life of Christ. Then she would give you a daily ...more
Heather Murphy
Sep 24, 2012 Heather Murphy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Heather by: Bookclub through Deseret Book
This book is an excellent avenue to strengthen one’s relationship with Christ. It’s exciting for me to sit down and spend up to an hour pouring over the new day’s chapter insights and scriptural references and writing down my personal thoughts and feelings on the subject matter. I have learned so much in subjects I have studied many times before (the New Testament, etc) by prayerfully personalizing them.

It’s not that this book holds entirely unique/amazing inspirational stories, but that the sto
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
Amazing! I didn't expect any less because I'm such a fan of Emily Freeman! In this book she gives you 21 "challenges" on a topic relating to the Savior that help you come closer to Christ. Loved it and every message made me stretch my learning and made me try to be a better person. And the artwork is gorgeous! This is one of my many favorite parts!

"Think of Moses and the Red Sea, Noah and the flood, or the people of Alma who were in bondage for so many years. History proves the love the Lord has
Rachael
I loved every page of this book. I learned so much about my Savior and about myself. Every chapter contained incredible insights. The only issue that I have (if you even want to call it an issue) is that the book moves very quickly. Taking one chapter a day didn't leave me with enough time to really ponder and understand all that this book has to offer. I am planning on reading it again soon and taking one chapter a week. I can highly recommend this book. It is absolutely fantastic!
Carol
This was an excellent book to help make your day to day focus be on Christ. I am going to use it as "21 Weeks Closer to Christ" so that I can spend more time on each day's goals. This was read for our RS Book Group.
Jodi
Jun 25, 2012 Jodi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Justin and I read this book together. I really wish we could have been able to read it in 21 days, or at least 4 weeks, but sadly, it took us several months. That's not to say the book wasn't good--we just weren't able to get time to read it every day. I really enjoyed it and was really touched by the stories shared and the insights the author had into many scripture stories about Christ. Each chapter also gave us a particular chapter in the scriptures to read that corresponded to the book, alon ...more
Absolutely LOVED this book. I've read it and done the "homework" alongside it about 3 different times now and I always get something out of it. Because it has a personal study part that accompanies it, I think you get out of it what you put into it and because we grow and our lives change, there's always more to understand or at least be reminded of. I would highly recommend this book.
Caryn
Jun 22, 2008 Caryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: G, as well as M for Mature (17+)
Shelves: own-it

This is a hard review to write!

Ms. Freeman did a superb job in writing this book. She took somewhat of a difficult topic and "made it her own" by sharing many personal experiences as well as many scriptural experiences from the Bible and Book of Mormon, and ultimately helps us apply these things into our lives to help US to grow closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

She also has great ideas along our journey to come closer to Christ, by writing each day in our journal, and she even gives us a tad
Laurel
I heard Emily Freeman speak yesterday (amazing) and was reminded that this is one of my favorites. Take the 21 days to read this life-changing book. It just doesn't work the same if it's read straight through and left on the coffee table (beautiful paintings).

I did the daily reading, and took the assignments very seriously. At the end of the 21 days, my connection with the Savior had increase tenfold. I tried to write the notes in the margins of my scriptures as much as possible, which I'm grate
Tanya
While I was uplifted reading this beautifully produced book, it wasn't the life-changing experience I was looking for. I suppose it was naive of me to hope that 21 days could transform my relationship to Christ, but I am always searching for help in bringing me closer to Him. I did all the additional readings and journaling, but I can't say that I pondered and applied all the different principles throughout my days as Freeman instructed; life is so busy and my attention so scattered that it's ha ...more
Jennifer Hughes
It's hard to know with a book like this how much of my experience with it is effort and how much is due to the effectiveness of the writing. I read it for several days and didn't find it really thought-provoking. It was "nice," but I didn't really feel it was making a difference in my life.

A friend in college had me test and edit a manuscript about studying the Bible through meditative writings of prayers and about selected passages. It was a more hands-on, guided treatment of essentially the sa
my husband and i received this book as a wedding gift. i read it a little while ago, just to see what it was like... i haven't taken any of the challenges yet or anything. the book itself, though, is very uplifting, soothing and beautiful. i really enjoyed the author's stories, insights and ideas that she shared. i also very much enjoy the art of simon dewey, (even though deep down, i still think i'm more of a greg olsen fan.) a lovely, lovely book in every sense of the word. highly recommmended ...more
Megan
Not a book to rush through. I taught the first chapter for FHE and it went very well. You really want to take time to ponder and absorb each section.
My 21 Days Closer to Christ turned into more like 100, much to the chagrin of my book loaner, but because she was already so Christlike from her reading, she was completely gracious and lovely about me keeping it so long.
I highly recommend this book to everyone. I thought it was significant and thoughtful and habit changing. I hope to re read it eve
Heidi
I love this author's wisdom and her thoughtful insights and invitations to apply scripture to daily life. I have been touched by her personal experiences and inspired to be a better person as I have acted on her invitations to do better in many areas of my life. I love how she interweaves a scripture into each chapter and asks you to read it yourself and act on the invitation it gives you. Great for daily scripture study/reflection.
Michelle
Enjoyed this book very much. Big surprise. Thoughtful discussion of the Savior coupled with lovely artwork--what's not to love? I did find some of the chapters just OK, but the really good ones more than made up for that. My journal is full of quotes and thoughts. This is a keeper. I did this over 21 WEEKS instead of days, and would definitely recommend that instead of the shorter period, allowed for much more reflection that way. Beautiful book, I might have to periodically repeat this one.
Ashley
Oct 20, 2008 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone wanting to develop a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ
I was drawn to this book at Time Out for Women. I have begun my journey and am loving this book! The pictures are beautiful and the author combines personal stories, scriptures and challenges into a daily walk with Christ. Highly recommend it for personal scripture study.

Finished it and have to say I loved every day of it--I looked forward to studying my scriptures and wish there were more books like this out there...maybe there are, let me know if you have found any good ones :)
Kristin
This book helped me have the desire to gain a more personal relationship with my Savior. There are many things that stood out to me in this book – ways in which I can live my life better and come closer to Christ. I want to continually strengthen my faith in Christ, and the author of this book discusses some really good ways in which we can do that. I love the quotes and scriptures that she added to each day of this 21 day journey. It helped me to dive more into my scriptures.
Lori
I have loved everything that I have read by Emily Freeman. She offers such quiet, yet practical insight into living a Christlike life in today's troubled world. I love the format of this book, reading a chapter a day and then doing the activities that she suggests. There is always a passage of scripture to read and ponder, perhaps a journal entry to write, or something to do.

I am planning on rereading this book during the month of December to help me focus more on our Savior.
Christina
This book is absolutely beautiful - the pages are well laid out and the Simon Dewey paintings are tastefully interspersed.

Each of the '21 days' is a short (2-6 pages or so) spiritual thought along with a challenge. I read the stories and scriptures, although I admit that I did not do the recommended exercises. I think this is a book I need to buy rather than check out from the library because the exercises are well-thought-out and I'd like to do them.
Dee Ann Buys
This book is gives you insight into the life of the Savior. The author shares many personal experiences that help to focus on specific scriptures. She encourages the reader to take journey of self discovery through reading scriptures and writing personal thoughts and feelings. This journey can be done in 21 days as the title implies or in a more slow meditative way. Make it personal and come to know the Lord Jesus Christ in a more personal way.
Wendy
Truly one of the best books I have ever read. I would even say it has changed my life. I wish everyone could not only read but study and ponder on this book. The title implies that the journey through the book takes place in 21 days. However, I spent much more time than that and will continue to read it over and over. Developing a personal relationship with Christ is a life time journey. Very meaningful and inspirational!
Rebecca Young
Wow...I have loved this book. Talk about insight, powerful writing, and poignant questions...she is a talented and gifted writer and student of the scriptures. I will be re-reading this one through the years! I am so glad to own it. I highly recommend it...but I recommend that you read it over many weeks. I couldn't possibly have had the time to ponder and really take it all in if I did a chapter a day.
Danny
This book is written by Emily Freeman. She is coming to speak at our Stake Women's Conference next spring. I was invited by our Stake R.S. Pres., Tresa Leavitt to read it.
This book gives 21 different aspects of how developing a relationship with Christ can bless our homes. It is a thoughtful book that invites the Spirit. It gave me lots to think about each of the last 21 days I took to read it.
Kessie
This book was the one we were supposed to read for my book club, and when I picked it up I thought I had gotten the wrong book because it seemed like a children's book. However, the more I read the more I realized it is not a children's book. It's an absolutely priceless book that helps you stay in perspective of the divine characteristics we are supposed to be striving to acquire.
Shan FamilyBringsJoy
Beautiful illustrations, yet spiritually uplifting book. I highly recommend this book. If you want to learn more about Christ and feel closer to Him, this is your book. Emily bases her writings/devotionals on stories of Christ in the New Testament of the Bible. Emily Freeman is a wonderful author. I have enjoyed many of her books.
  • Simplify: A Guide To Caring For The Soul
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Trusting Jesus
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • When You Can't Do It Alone
  • No One Can Take Your Place
Emily Freeman and Simon Dewey collaborated on the bestselling book The Ten Virgins. For nearly 20 years, Emily has addressed groups of women as a writer, songwrite, and motivational speaker. Her deep love of the scriptures comes from a strong desire to find their application in modern-day life. Emily and her husband, Greg, are the parents of four children and live in Lehi, Utah. Simon Dewey studie ...more
More about Emily Freeman...
A Christ-Centered Christmas: Seven Traditions to Lead Us Closer to the Savior Love Life and See Good Days The Ten Virgins: Ten Women, Ten Stories, Ten Lessons for Our Day The Promise of Enough: Seven Principles of True Abundance God Bless Your Way: A Christmas Journey