Start by marking “The New Kindaichi Files, Vol. 1: Murder at the Hotel Opera” as Want to Read:
The New Kindaichi Files, Vol. 1: Murder at the Hotel Opera

The New Kindaichi Files, Vol. 1: Murder at the Hotel Opera (The Kindaichi Case Files #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The New Kindaichi Files, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Kindaichi Files, Vol. 1

Miriam
Very traditional whodunnit with a dozen characters -- in this case, members of a high school drama club -- trapped on an island with a murderer.

I would have liked a little more character development, particularly of the "detective" slacker boy. His transformation from goomba to bright, confident authority figure seems abrupt and unconvincing without more explanation than first exposure to crime.

Overall it was an entertaining first installment of a mystery series, and I look forward to seeing mo
Mizuki
A manga about a serial murder case, which is based on/pays homage to The Phantom of the Opera! What more can I ask for?

Many years ago The Opera House Murders offered me the first taste from the Kindaichi Case Files series, the chilling murders and the heartbreaking ending of this murder mystery will always stay in my mind.

Although I must admit after re-reading this story, I found some of the plot twists are a bit unrealistic and cliched, and the murderer had relied too heavily on coincidences. P
Melydely
This book was AMAZING! The way the mystery was plotted was excellent, and the pictures inside looked like snapshots from the movie (if they made one). I give praise to Kanari Yozaburo for an excellent plot, and Fumiya Sato for great art. My friend insisted I read this, and this has probably been one of the best pieces of advice I've been given. But like a cigarette, it's addictive. Once my eyes read page one, I couldn't stop.

Hajime Kindachi is well known for being a first class loser. His grades
Mike
The Opera House Murders introduces us to Hajime Kindaichi, deceptively smart grandson of a famous detective and under-achieving best friend of straight-A student Miyuki Nanase. An isolated retreat for a drama club practice already darkened by the recent suicide of the former lead gets even more tragic when guest start dying in a similar manner to the play they're rehearsing - The Phantom of the Opera.

This is a murder mystery with all the classical trimmings. Our cast and the setting is slowly es
Jenna
While the art style is a little dated, the humor is great and the mysteries grip you and you can't stop reading. I also enjoyed the panel layout, in that I didn't feel inundated with enormous speech bubbles and tons of text, and rather it was balanced (unlike Death Note, which is also great but made my head hurt at some points). I'm not too good at figuring out what the culprit did before the detective himself does, but I enjoyed watching it unravel. Must read more!

Read up to volume 5.
Lady Knight
I was really impressed with this one! This being my first foray into mystery à la manga, I really do think that this style of storytelling really fits the subject matter. I'm eager to carry on with the series and see if my opinion changes.

Kindaichi is your typical underachiever, he skips school, never pays attention when he does show up and is something of a class clown. But he would do anything for his best friend. When she begs him to come with her drama class to a secluded island to rehearse
Kathryn Leonard
This manga was brilliant from beginning to end.I was captivated by the classic animation style.Also it's wonderful devotion to a typical detective story.A very thrilling and crisply animated manga.I have no complaints.
This edition of the Kindaichi Case Files is a bilingual version of the story from the Kindaichi Case series "Murder at the Hotel Opera" originally published in Japanese in the first 2 volumes of the Kindaichi Case Files in 1993. In this edition, translated Engish text is used in the main panels of the comic pages with the Japanese text annotated around the panels.

This murder mystery story starts the Kindaichi mystery series and is an entertaining story that plays on the "Phantom of the Opera" as
PeaR L
เล่มแรกที่ได้รู้จักคินดะ
ตั้งแต่นั้นก็ตามอ่านมาตลอด
ชอบมากกว่าโคนันอีก
อิเด็กเปรตนั่นอยู่ ป.1 มายี่สิบกว่าปีแระ
Stephanie
This is one of my more memorable manga series. It goes along with Kindaichi, grand son of a famous detective, as murder seems to follow him at every turn. He's followed by his childhood friend (whom he won't admit he loves) and though he's really lazy, he's also smart, and ends up solving the case. He gets help from the cops too (or rather, they get help from him). It's like a mystery tv show but on paper, which is what I love the most about it. Only one other manga series I know can imitate the ...more
dhani  Machfud
Saya lebih cenderung menyukai manga Detective Kindaichi dibanding Detective conan,..gak ada anak SMA yang menciut menjadi anak SD, gak ada spatu ajaib yg bisa bikin tendangan jadi sakti, gak ada adegan melawan penjahat dengan tendangan bola ala Maradona dan gak ada adegan2 non sense lainnya. Kindaichi jalan ceritanya lebih terkesan thriller,...penyelesaian kasusnya lebih masuk di akal menurutku. Yah,..walaupun konon pernah bermasalah karena mencomot nama Kosuke Kindaichi, Detektif fiksi karya Se ...more
Jeffrey
What can I say? I love Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo. I keep hoping with the advent of digital books that someone will localize the remaining stacks and stacks of Kindaichi stories, but until then, I have to go back and re-read the old stuff after years of not seeing it so that it's somewhat new to me even if I still remember who the killer is.

I wish that more was made of the fact that Kindaichi is a genius, but for some reason doesn't do well in school. It's mentioned here, but it doesn't seem to
Jessi
Wish that my local library had this series. This is a very popular manga mystery series about a teenager who has Holmesian abilities though many of his teachers and classmates assume he's stupid. This book has him joining the drama club as they go out to a desolate island to practice for nationals. However, the drama club has a problem. One of their members committed suicide and now someone is trying to get even. This is framed around the Phantom of the Opera which the drama club is performing.
Kellvea
These books are truly amazing, its about a teenage boy who everyone thinks is dumb, but one teacher knows that he scored the highest on the entrance exam and that, in middle school, he took an IQ test and scored 180. In this book, he is exploring an old house and he's staying there for some time, but people end up being killed because of an old legend. I recommend this to everyone because its very interesting, once you've read one you cant stop.
dhani  Machfud
Baca lagi!! lupa untuk keberapa kalinya...

Manga favoritku,..tokoh detektif favorit ketiga ku selain Holmes dan Poirot. Ceritanya lebih dewasa, lebih rumit dan lebih masuk akal dibanding detektip konan yang gak banget itu.

Ceritanya khas Kindaichi; pembunuhan tertutup. kali ini pembunuhannya berlatar belakang dendam yang terinspirasi dari kisah 'Phantom of the opera'.
Samantha Arias
I loved this book along with the many other volumes in this series. Its got great art, not overly sexual like most manga can get, and it has a great story line. The illustrator did a good job adding the creepiness factor to this horror book. I recommend it to anyone into horror and comics/manga.
Sae-chan
Nice graphics, over the top story. One thing didn't sit well with me, though. Is wearing pants like that the style at the time?

I just knew that at one point Matsujun was playing Kindaichi. I saw the one with Dohmoto-san playing. Dorky enough :-)
Hadi Wijaya
I prefer Kindaichi rather than Conan since it give long detective case in one book (sometime continue to other book) and give detail personality of each character. However, the movie doesn't hit that good.
Teen
Hajime is a teenaged crime solver but even he isn't prepared when his friend Miyuki invites him to a rehearsal for "Phantom of the Opera" and the cast starts dying in ways mimicking events in the play.
Noctourne
It had a few fanservice scenes that I would have been much happier without and I also think that the story was very dark...though understandably so. I think it did things well for a horror book.
Sian
Aku suka buku-buku serial ini. Komik yang sangat menarik. Suasana misterius dan ketegangan tetap bisa terbangun, walaupun tidak sehebat kalau dalam bentuk novel tentunya.
Karaoke OK
[Series Length: 27 volumes / Read: volumes 1-4]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Marchel
Bukan untuk bacaan anak-anak, karena adegan yang ada tidak layak untuk konsumsi anak-anak.

Baca ulang untuk entah yang ke berapa puluh kali >_<
Adinda
opera house negh seri yg kupikir nyeremin deh..emm komik kindaichie negh jauh lebih ekspresif nunjukin aspek kriminalitas drpd conan..
T.
A fun, if not campy read. If you don't mind the "stereotypical mystery" and many cliches, it really is a fun read.
Sinistmer
Fun, engaging storyline! Thought the characters were a little flat, but the story was enjoyable. Great for teens.
Ernest
This was a good murder mystery. This story moved along at a good pace and had at time a scary atmosphere.
Simbahenom
baca manganya sementara doramanya teronggok sejak bertahun-tahun lalu :(
Susan
Fanservice is one thing. Sexualizing the corpses of dead women is another. ICK
Puji Rahayu
Wah, satu kesimpulan buat detektif Kindaichi.
Pembunuhan berantai.
Shounen Manga Boo...: * Kindaichi Case Files Discussion 2 5 Jan 20, 2015 01:25PM
  • Topeng Kaca 1
  • Bloody Monday, Tome 1
  • 名探偵コナン 19 (Detective Conan #19)
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1
  • Whistle!, Vol. 1
Yōzaburō Kanari (金成 陽三郎) is a Japanese manga story writer, best known for creating the Kindaichi Case Files series.

He made his debut in 1991 with manga Chōzunō Silver Wolf (illustrated by Masashi Asaki).
More about Kanari Yozaburo...

The Kindaichi Case Files (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Mummy's Curse
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 8: No Noose is Good Noose
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 9: The Headless Samurai
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 10: Kindaichi The Killer: Part 1
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 11: Kindaichi The Killer: Part 2
The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 4: Smoke and Mirrors The Mummy's Curse The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 5: The Treasure Isle The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 3: Death TV The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 13: House of Wax