Start by marking “The African Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The African Trilogy

The African Trilogy

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Picador 1988, the famous African Trilogy by the recently late Chinua Achebe, 'the man whose writing redefined Colonialism' Achebe was a towering literary figure whose work always repays the reader.
Published October 7th 1988 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about The African Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The African Trilogy

Blood River by Tim ButcherThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieHeart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Africa
96th out of 1,078 books — 1,064 voters

More lists with this book...

William1
Now reading Arrow of God.

Things Fall Apart - Okonkwo is an emotionally stilted African tribesman. He beats his wives, confounds (and beats) his children, has taken human skulls in intertribal warfare. He has what we in the West would call massive gender hangups. Every act of his life is about reaffirming his manliness and shunning womanliness. He has no feminine side. He has no education. He is inarticulate. He is a brute. Achebe gives us a look at a world completely outside the bounds of the re
Nathan
Wonderful stories that are a fascinating insight into the lives and culture of the Igbo people and the changing social, political, and religious landscape in Nigeria throughout a period of British colonial rule. These stories explore both the individual and communal struggles in the face of the turbulence of change.

Achebe's prose is clean and lucid, brought to life by his infusion of traditional language, idioms and song that provides a visceral impact. He builds characters, especially protagoni
Joseph Young
Things Fall Apart I've already reviewed this book, so won't again here, except to say that this is the strongest of the 3 books.

No Longer at Ease: This story talked about the struggle of Obi Okonkwo (Okonkwo's grandson) to assimilate into the new western culture. Although he undergoes much struggle, I can not relate as much with this character. He is misogynistic, and too concerned with status. Ironically, it is Isaac (Nwoye), his father, that is more compelling, as Nwoye as actually paid the pr
Corinne
Things Fall Apart should be required reading everywhere. The book encapsulates the complexities of African colonization, without melodrama or moralizing. The story is so simply told, but Okonkwo and his clan bring to life an important and sad period in Africa's history. The title is perfect as it conveys both Okonkwo's story and Africa's - making the experience both ordinary and personal yet and extraordinary and far-reaching.
No Longer at Ease is a beautifully written, ordinary tragedy. Nothing
Adam O'leary
Chinua Achebe's African Trilogy is a fascinating insight into the process of European colonialism in Africa, from the point of view of the Igbo people of eastern Nigeria.
It begins in the 1890s with Things Fall Apart, an elegant tragedy written in sparse prose laced with proverbs. The novel follows the efforts of one man, Okonkwo, and his village, to hold on to his ancestral beliefs in times of great times, with British rule and Christianity challenging the village's traditional and ancient way o
Lucy
I don't know that I have a coherent review to put together because I just finished the third book today and I am still speechless. I feel like it would be easy to gush about this trilogy, but that seems trite. Achebe's words are masterful, his storytelling incredible. While I am not too familiar with Igbo culture, I see similarities and themes that resonate with my connection to Yoruba-based traditions, and it helped me understand a little more some of the values that have been passed down gener ...more
Emily Padhi
African culture in flux -- from tradition to colonization to modernity -- given from an African perspective. Things Fall Apart is considered the first African novel and I think is a mandatory read in during secondary school in many African countries. Great read. I need to re-visit because I don't think I fully grasped the meaning of each novel.
J.T.
To read Achebe's work is to be given a look at an Africa apart from a western media/historical viewpoint. Things Fall Apart explains tribal Africa in a meaningful way, showing more than just the impact of the West on Africa but also the beauty and ugliness inherent in the culture. In a sense, it is more about all people than just Africans -- the names and customs change, but the feelings and ideas are universal. No Longer At Ease was, if anything, even better as it describes cultural transition ...more
Willow Arune
This book is a printing of Achebe's African Trilogy of three novels. The first chronologically is Arrow of God, which Ihave just started. It is the tale of an African priest confronted with Christian missionaries. The second follows a mmeber of one tribe during collonialism and the last the tale of an african who is sent to England for his education before returning to Nigeria as a civil servant under British rule.
i recent read Wife of the Gods by another African writer.
It is interesting to disc
Rosebud
Planning to read Things Fall Apart, first book of the trilogy, as it is the last book on the Lifetime Reading Plan list. After talking to Matt about this list, I decided to start reading the books from the most recent backwards. Finished the first book, one that straightforwardly confronts your senses with the effects of a culture being "invaded" from the outside by people with different beliefs and more power to control.
Jen Austin
I found these books fascinating. Five stars for Things Fall Apart and Arrow of God. Character development was great, particularly in Things Fall Apart. I would recommend these books to everybody!!!
Michelle Coovert
Certainly made me consider the perspective of the Nigerians during the European colonization. After all, progress is good but we sacrifice tradition and eliminate other cultures.
Sheila
although all these novels deserve a 5-star, my favorite was THINGS FALL APART and my least favorite was ARROWS OF GOD. the reader gets into the minds of the africans and, setting aside culture differences, finds they are just like us.
Deb
just reread these great books- so good!!! and especially interesting to read here at a sudanese university where everyone has an opinion about african literature...wish i hadn't left it quite so long to rediscover them though!!
Marie Bouteille
Three absolutely amazing books with insights into Africa. An arrow of God is the more complex one but all of them are cleverly told and try o analyze the situation without judging anyone or rather judging everybody.
Neeraj
must read for all of us in the 'third world' witnessing developments/ ruptures across generations... and showed me a loving way to 'forgive'... and turn my angst into a more meditative, ability to intervene.
Parveen
Jun 19, 2007 Parveen added it
Recommends it for: friends
The effect of colonialism on the third world
Melissa C
Great set of stories.
Leonard
Leonard marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
John Peter
John Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Joshua Andrews-Egyir
Joshua Andrews-Egyir marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Sinan Öner
Sinan Öner marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Tim Scott
Tim Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Golden pages
Golden pages marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Sheila Mbabazi
Sheila Mbabazi marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
  • The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds
  • Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed
  • The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism
  • Maps
  • The Beggars' Strike (Longman African Writers Series)
  • O. Henry Prize Stories 2008 (Pen/O. Henry Prize Stories)
  • The Palm-Wine Drinkard & My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
  • Zenzele: A Letter for My Daughter
  • Everything Good Will Come
  • God's Bits of Wood
  • The Joys of Motherhood
Chinua Achebe was a novelist, poet, professor at Brown University and critic. He is best known for his first novel, Things Fall Apart (1958), which is the most widely read book in modern African literature.

Raised by Christian parents in the Igbo town of Ogidi in southeastern Nigeria, Achebe excelled at school and won a scholarship for undergraduate studies. He became fascinated with world religion
More about Chinua Achebe...
Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) No Longer at Ease (The African Trilogy, #2) Arrow of God (The African Trilogy #3) A Man of the People Anthills of the Savannah