John Dillinger: The Life and Death of America's First Celebrity Criminal

John Dillinger: The Life and Death of America's First Celebrity Criminal

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  13 reviews
John Dillinger is an adrenaline-fueled narrative that reignites America's fascination with the suave and deadly desperado who became the FBI's first Public Enemy, whose story—until now—has been riddled with rumors and fiction. Dillinger and his bank-robbing gang cut a criminal swath never to be equaled, thrilling a nation in the throes of the Great Depression. When caught,...more
Published May 20th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published April 18th 2004)

Dane Batty
This book is amazing because John Dillinger is now so documented that they literally know his every move almost everyday and every hour he was eluding the newly formed FBI. I didn't know JD was the reason the FBI was created.
This book is well structured, and I give it credit because even though there are so many books on JD this one read like it was new news.
Mallory
I enjoyed the movie “Public Enemies” when I saw it and this biography really gives a full picture of John Dillinger’s life from start to finish. He was so charming that it’s easy to forget he wasn’t afraid to use his machine gun. His escapes are incredible, the fumbling and ineptitude of local law enforcement even more so. It’s amazing that the fledgling FBI survived its many missteps concerning Dillinger and his gangs and lasted past the ‘30s. Dillinger single-handedly wrecked the future career...more
Katie
This book was my introduction to Dillinger, and I've fallen in love. It reads much like I imagine the bandit's life was like - a rollicking, rollercoaster ride with incredible highs and the inevitable lows. Dillinger especially comes across as a really nice guy, always up for a laugh, but sadly a sucker for a pretty face. Many laugh out loud moments, and when I finished the book I had to read more.
Kurt
I loved this book. Matera is charmingly bold in his bias toward the gangsters and possibly unnecessarily harsh in his treatment of law enforcement officers, but the book still rings true. It is a thorough and detailed look at the life and misadventures of Dillinger, and if some sections are bogged down with lists of how much ammunition the gang was carrying in each car, the book on the whole moves with a determined and muscular pace. Matera's descriptions of gun battles and narrow escapes are be...more
Janet
Fascinating, and written in a very readable style. Matera takes pains to show Dillinger as a man as well as the famous crook, telling us he often washed the dishes after supper while his girlfriend relaxed, and he had a special fondness for children. My favorite moment is when Dillinger’s trying to corral his girlfriend’s puppy, and two Chicago cops actually stop and help Dillinger catch the little critter.
Dale Jackson
Well written. The author's descriptive text made for an enjoyable and informative read.
Patrick
This is a solid entry into the Dillinger canon. Highly readable and informative, the author also has a clear bias towards Dillinger, which might rub some readers the wrong way. He also takes to calling Dillinger "The Jackrabbit" throughout the book, which I found really annoying, but that's really the only complaint I have.
Beth/Chuck
Recommended by my Sister. Chronicles John's life & activities. I recognized most of the places where they either robbed the bank, were in Jail, or where they were hiding out at. Visited the Little Bohemia and saw the glass with bullet holes. It's only 20 miles from the Cottage.
Eric
The movies about John Dillinger do the job of entertainment, but the movies don't do justice to the true story of the man in the 1920's and 30's toward his death. Very fun and interesting book. SPOILER ALERT: Too bad he shot a couple of people.
Dana
It's a good non-fiction book, but didn't read as much like a story as I hoped. If you are interested in lots of details about John Dillinger, I recommend it, but if you are mostly a fiction reader, I don't.
A.J.
Reads like a movie, only it's real life. Highly entertaining. Captivating and exciting. You will learn a ton about life during the time and how much he influenced celebrity culture even today.
Susie Doneff
I love this book and found it very exciting. John Dillinger was very charismatic and did love women. He was also real witty and a jackrabbit.
Anne
A treasure trove of information entertainingly written - maybe a little too much so in some cases.
Quese
How do you read these books on here?
Jordan
Jordan added it
Apr 13, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Megan Folse
Megan Folse marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Katariina T
Katariina T marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kelly Foster
Kelly Foster marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Alex Gough
Alex Gough marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Mwalsh
Mwalsh marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Oswin Oswald
Oswin Oswald marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Juvencio Lira
Juvencio Lira marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Are You Lonesome Tonight? The Untold Story of Elvis Presley's One True Love and the Child He Never Knew Cry For Character Strike Midnight Get Me Ellis Rubin!: The Life, Times and Cases of a Maverick Lawyer MacArthur's Children