Start by marking “Stock Investing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Stock Investing for Dummies

Stock Investing for Dummies

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"Stock Investing For Dummies, 2nd Edition" covers all the proven tactics and strategies for picking the right stocks. Packed with savvy tips on today's best investment opportunities, this book provides a down-to-earth, straightforward approach to making money on the market without the fancy lingo. Soon you'll have the power to optimize your returns by: Recognizing and mini ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by For Dummies (first published June 14th 2002)

Jeff Kelleher

Beginner look elsewhere.

The "Dummies" reference in the titles is irritating, but I am a fan of this series. The key to understanding any field of knowledge is "big picture first." That's what most Dummies books give us. Not this one, though. A veteran investor will find it aimless. A beginner will find it overwhelming.

The posture is that of the investment "professional" who is receiving a novice in his office. He is leaning back in his chair, his fingers in a steeple, his tone that of condescen
Patrik
In this book it talks about how you can start off in the stock market and good ways to get rich off of it. This book isn't really a beginner book, but you have to have some background information on stocks to know what's going on. The beginning of the book talks about what a stock is. A stock is a investment in something. Nearly all big companies have a stock. Around the book it talks about how it is a very risky business and how you have to be careful. This book didn't tell me what stock to inv ...more
Mohammad Kotb
Very interesting book, I've learned a lot from it. And it's a kind of book that can be used as a reference and always check. And it's very good to read it all.
Alison
Was this my favorite book? Obviously, no. But it did increase my knowledge on investment terms and stock strategies by about 100%. I think it is great for anyone who like me just wanted to get some basic information. It does contain a lot of information on how to invest if you are approaching retirement, which wasn't really helpful for me, but could be useful to someone else.

I will warn you that the book is liberally peppered with puns and small bits of conservative bias (i.e. high taxes are te
Christiaän
Thought it was a great read, and worth the time of anyone seeking financial independence. Mladjenovic not only teaches the necessary tools for wise stock investment, but financial security and a balanced portfolio at that. I went from knowing nothing about stocks to being a comfortably knowledgable beginning investor. The author doesn't talk over your head, and clearly spells out all concepts and mathematics in a simple and easily understood fashion. I recommend coupling this book with Investope ...more
Eric
Feb 07, 2011 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with the unrestricted use of a time machine.
Unfortunately, I realized, by the second chapter, that I had aggressively invested my liquid working capital in an ill-advised public offering (this book). Although governmental actions compounded this failure, recurring debt was avoided. Both fundamental and technical research indicate that the book value listed exceeds the current market value, partially as a result of our long-term economic downturn. As my interest fluctuated, discipline was exercised (yes, I did read the whole book) and cons ...more
Mohit Shukla
Good book to start with.
Tina
I appreciated the bits of humor in this basic book about stock investing.
melissa
I got a really basic book because I thought I knew nothing. Apparently, I knew a little more than nothing. But if you really need to know the basics so you can have some confidence getting started, this is the book. And, it was published in 2005, and in one of the final chapters, the author all but predicted the credit crash we're having now and explained why it would happen, so clearly, this guy knows what he's talking about.
Michelle
Dummy, derived from old Sanford, meaning "son".
Paul is a value investor who's very comfortable with the subject. He gets five stars for calling the current financial cycle as similar to the late '70s (this he did during the bubble!) characterized by stagflation, dramatically risen oil and commodities prices, especially metals.Then he reaches how to navigate it. Prescient.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember liking it, yet I can't seem to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't bad, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so three stars is probably the fairest rating I can give it.
Drkazmd65
A good basic book - as one would expect - explaining the basics of stock buying for longer-term investing. I figure that I can't do a worse job than the 'professionals' that have been losing my ROTH money for the last couple of years.
Emily Jones
Good book with a lot of good information. Especially helpful if you have a retirement mutual fund and you don't completely understand it! Good source of conservative information for those who are looking to invest not speculate.
Kaloyan K.
Well, I guess I am no dummy since I didn't learned anything new from this book. It's a nice fast read, without getting into too much of details for a lot of the stuff I think are important.
Kaloyan K.
Pete
Lots of good info. It appears this guy predicted the housing crash because he was worried about the bubble when the book was published in 2005.
Radek
Really good book for someone who knows nothing about investing in stocks. For those who already know a little it may be a bit too basic.
Natali
A great fast read for a brush-up on how the market works and some solid investment advice on how to diversify your money wisely.
Partha
a very good intro book for investing...hey,I thought Bulls and Bears were sport team's mascots, not names of markets !
Mac
Will come back later when other goals have been settled, leaving more free time to pursue this endeavor.
Mitch Gage

Good overview. Keeps it simple yet fairly thorough. Tedious cover to cover read, though.
RJ
Oct 30, 2008 RJ added it
Shelves: finance
Stock Investing For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) by Paul Mladjenovic (2006)
Reed Allen
This was a decent book it has good basic level information and investing tips.
Jason
filled in some gaps, but I like the Motley Fool books better overall
Jay
Great way to get a taste of how to invest money in stocks.
Kelly
Not my idea of a fun read, but it was helpful.
George
Good overview of the market
Noah
  • Mormonism for Dummies
  • Piano for Dummies [With Play-Along]
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Speed Reading For Dummies
Precious Metals Investing For Dummies Micro-Entrepreneurship for Dummies Micro-Entrepreneurship For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) Stock Investing For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback)) Stock Investing For Dummies

“market capitalization (or market cap).” 0 likes