Start by marking “Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"” as Want to Read:
Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"

Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"

Are you a people pleaser? Are you addicted to a€œapprovala€? from others, and would do just about anything to get that approval? Biblical counselor Lou Priolo exposes all the prideful manifestations of this problem and, as always, offers solid, systematic Biblical solutions! Even readers who feel that they do not have this problem should read this helpful book, because wha ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Calvary Press (first published January 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pleasing People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pleasing People

Patricia
Dec 09, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing
The desire for man's approval can be a driving, ruthless force in our lives. Before reading this book, I imagined who Lou Priolo calls an approval addict, or a people-pleaser, as a very kind, humble person with perhaps a bit too much of a servant's heart. However, rather than a misguided servant, the people-pleaser is self-centered, conceited, and even dangerous. Self-interest in the people-pleaser's motivation. They will do almost anything to get the approval of others.

The good works a people-
Allen
Jun 05, 2016 Allen rated it it was amazing
The scope of my review includes more than just the book. It includes a lot of personal context at the time of reading - things I have been wrestling with lately, specifically sanctification and assurance. The next paragraph is the most relevant to the book. The later ones are more personal.

Outstanding. The best strength of this book (consistent with another of the author's books that I have read) is the way the author can bring out new or deeper insight into a passage of Scripture that I have re
Edy Gies
Feb 01, 2011 Edy Gies rated it it was amazing
This book was very challenging to read because it hit so close to home. Several times I had to stop and focus on the information and let it absorb for a few days. I appreciated that the author wrote out the scripture he used to back up his statements. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Mar 11, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Not the self-help manual you'd infer from the title, this was helpful if not earth-shatteringly wonderful
Andy Anderson
Mar 16, 2017 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Do you please people at the expense of your own sanity and spiritual walk? This book is great at defining the problem of people pleasing and what to do about it. You will know that being a "God Pleaser" is so much better. Great chapter on what people pleasing looks like and what do about it.
Isaac Chung
Aug 05, 2015 Isaac Chung rated it it was amazing
The book expands upon the dangers of seeking the approval of man rather than the approval of God, which is a personal issue I deal with. Not only does the author address the many problems associated with being a people-pleaser, but he also guides the readers through ways which they can be more focused on God's approval. I was glad to see that the author backs most, if not all, of his points with references to Scripture and writings from other authors. This conveys that the author's thoughts are ...more
Exodus Books
May 31, 2016 Exodus Books added it
Shelves: christian
In Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis identifies pride as the root sin from which all others grow. Lou Priolo seems to affirm this in his book Pleasing People, or at least he would affirm it specifically in relation to the sin of people-pleasing. This sin goes by many names, its most recent being "codependency."

"But isn't codependency a psychological condition rather than a sin?" some will ask. Not according to Priolo, who identifies it as an idolatrous desire for the approval of others. While this
Caleb
Feb 01, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book made me aware of the significance of PRIDE. God hates pride, and it turns out, I'm full of it!

I really liked this book and would recommend to EVERY Christian. It's super convicting and FULL of scripture. Almost every page has verses on it. The author is a psychologist and REALLY knows what he's talking about. He's equally Christian, and equally a psychology expert. The book also provides great strategies, resources, and tests to help you analyze your own problems with people pleasing.

I
Peter Krol
Nov 15, 2007 Peter Krol rated it it was amazing
Way too convicting...
I like it better than "When People are Big and God is Small," in that it is a bit more practical and less clinical. But Welch's book is also excellent for a slightly different purpose.

This was really the best book I've read in a while. I especially appreciated his chapter on "Is it ever right to please people?" He looked at the topic of people-pleasing through a biblical grid and came out being honest that there are times that we should please people (like when we seek to pr
Jeanie
Apr 29, 2011 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
This book will you give the ability to discern the thoughts and motives of YOUR heart (especially when experiencing intense emotion) is an essential skill for the believer. Recognizing thoughts and imaginations of the heart is a prerequisite of bring them captive to the obedience of Christ. Our hearts are deceitful (Jer 17:9) Our hearts our camouflaged by its desires. James 1:12-16) This book is helpful to examine yourself. However, being a people-pleaser, we tend to examine other's motives. WRO ...more
Anna
Dec 18, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the most spiritually convicting books I have ever read. I didn't realize how much I desire to please people until I analyzed some of the thoughts and motives in my heart through the information and the scripture presented in this book. Also inspiring was the author's use of Puritan sermons and his spiritual journal keeping suggestions throughout the chapters. He gave me so much to think about and reflect on that I finally just started journaling right inside the book. Overall ...more
Dane Carr
Mar 29, 2012 Dane Carr rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I didn't think I was a people please until I read this book. The sin of pride is so deeply rooted in us that we often don't recognize it. This book will help you identify the areas of pride in your own life and develop of plan to exchange pride for humility. Very practical - Priolo doesn't just tell you what you ought to do - he also tells you how to do it.
Tina Davis
Nov 16, 2011 Tina Davis rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful to me as a people pleaser (of sorts). It showed me that I was bent on pleasing people rather than God and that rather than wanting to truly please people, I want them to be pleased with me. But there is hope.
Jon Gilbert
May 07, 2015 Jon Gilbert rated it it was amazing
I was unaware of how much pride was in my heart until I read this book. One of the most helpful books for my Christian walk that I have read in a while. If you like Christian living books that are packed with applicable scriptures, this is one for you.
Lance
Apr 19, 2012 Lance rated it it was amazing
I love it for its simplicity, clarity, and faithfulness to Scripture. I was rebuked and instructed by this. The end-of-chapter worksheets were helpful, too.
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 Andy added it
Shelves: owned
Benjamin
Aug 27, 2008 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
This book on dealing with people-pleasing/fear of man is very good and convicting. I like how Lou Priolo constantly goes back to Scripture and makes his arguments from Scripture.
Leila McGrath
Nov 29, 2011 Leila McGrath rated it it was amazing
Needful, beautifully written, easy to understand.
Jessica Cravens
Feb 03, 2014 Jessica Cravens rated it it was amazing
So convicting!!
Charity Rishel
Very challenging!
Stephanie Joy
Stephanie Joy rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Jeff Roberts
Jeff Roberts rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2015
Linda H. Strong
Linda H. Strong rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Tony Bartolucci
Tony Bartolucci rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jelyn Oj
Jelyn Oj rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Regina Esliker
Regina Esliker rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
  • The Hidden Life of Prayer: The Lifeblood of the Christian
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically (MacArthur Pastor's Library)
  • Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • Heaven Taken by Storm: Showing the Holy Violence a Christian is to Put Forth in the Pursuit After Glory (Puritan Writings)
  • Changed Into His Image
  • Competent to Counsel
LOU PRIOLO is the Director of Biblical Counseling at Eastwood Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, Alabama. A graduate of Calvary Bible College and Liberty University, he is the author of The Heart of Anger , and The Complete Husband. Lou is also a Fellow in the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors. He resides in Wetumpka, Alabama with his wife, Kim, and daughters, Sophia and Gabriella.
More about Lou Priolo...