News Junkie
read excerpt

News Junkie

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In News Junkie, the cutthroat worlds of journalism, politics, and high finance are laid bare by Jason Leopold, whose addictive tendencies led him from a life of drug abuse and petty crime to become an award-winning investigative journalist who exposed some of the biggest corporate and political scandals in recent American history.

Leopold broke key stories about the Califor...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Process

Michele
I read this book because I knew Jason Leopold. He crashed my car on the LIE back in the 80's. He took my friend to the Prom. It was interesting to see what happened after he disappeared from our lives. Falling down a slippery slope of drug use and crime, he eventually met a woman and turned his life around. Good for him!! Having an addictive personality, he became addicted to reporting. His relentless quest for stories led him to writing award-winning articles that helped break the Enron Case.
Chung-yi Chang
It kept a dismal, crazy and destructive tone for 3/4. The great enlightenment came after the greatest disappointment in the last few pages which brought the redemption to both the author and the reader. strongly recommend.
m
Jun 21, 2007 m rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: journalists, fans of a good narrative
Jason Leopold's News Junkie is a fascinating memoir that manages to blend cocaine addiction, the Mafia and Enron into an intoxicating stew. You become the rat that keeps pushing the button; page follows page and bam, it's over.

I mentioned the Mafia above, so take that as fair warning that if f-bombs offend you, steer clear; there are plenty in this slender tome.

Is there a high to be gotten from writing on deadline? You bet there is. And sometimes it's a low, when you have to do drudgery-on-deadl...more
Laura Hancock
The book is based on a former cocaine addict's ventures in journalism, especially with Enron. I'm a journalist, so I enjoyed the inside skinny on the L.A. Times, City News Service, Dow Jones Newswires, etc. The author, to be honest, isn't likable, but he's more likable than David Carr, who wrote a similar self-revealatory tell-all "Night of the Gun."
Will Atkinson
Leopold is a fraud but his story is interesting. I bought the book because he recently wrote an alt-media (read: not fact checked) story about Rove being subpoenaed in the Plame investigation. His story is interesting. He did some good work on the Enron scandal, but that's about it.
I'd only recommend this book if you're interested in journalism.
Black Heart
An interesting look at modern journalism ethics--or the lack thereof. Jason Leopold helped break the ENRON story, but was also responsible for sloppy and biased journalism, in addition to publishing many blatantly untrue stories. We watch him struggle with addiction, both to drugs and to getting the next big scoop. Gripping. Recommended!
Audacia Ray
Ok, this book probably merits more than one star, because there are a lot of good things in it. So let's put it this way: I think Leopold's story is really interesting, but the writing was way too scattered. And I do generally appreciate an unsympathetic narrator... but, no. The sexism, the rage... no good.
M.h.
The vast majority of books on journalism are either dry text books or politically charged assaults on mass media. It was refreshing to find something else but this dipshit is not a good guy, not a good journalist and now unemployable due to his own personality flaws.
Al
Aug 14, 2007 Al rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: news, er, junkies
Coke... coke... coke... Coca-cola. Couldn't finish.
No comment on debacles underlying(!) this reporting.

I read this on the overnight shift at CNN.
Then I quit!

Just like Greg Palast said I should! Sorta.
Dante
Great and hilarious! A behind-the-scenes expose of a hack turned investigative reporter. Unbelievable, but true. Fast paced and unrelenting. Loved it.
Jonathan
Not for everyone (due to some harsh language), but honestly a refreshing look inside the mind of an amazingly aggressive news journalist.
Frederic Pierce
A lot of it hit close to home. Thank you Bobby.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Maryam
Maryam marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Peggy Coleman
Peggy Coleman is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Sammi
Sammi marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Dani Kass
Dani Kass marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Mariah Cherem
Mariah Cherem marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm an investigative reporter. I cover counterterrorism, national security, human rights, open government and civil liberties issues. I've been called a “FOIA Terrorist” by federal employees for my aggressive use of the Freedom of Information Act, which has included suing the FBI and forcing the agency to changes its policies. I'm the author of the national bestseller, News Junkie, and my investig...more
More about Jason Leopold...
From Hopeful Immigrant to FBI Informant: The Inside Story of the Other Abu Zubaidah Off The Record: An Investigative Journalist's Inside View Of Dirty Politics, High Finance, And Corporate Scandal