Start by marking “News Junkie” as Want to Read:
News Junkie

Read Excerpt

News Junkie

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In News Junkie, the cutthroat worlds of journalism, politics, and high finance are laid bare by Jason Leopold, whose addictive tendencies led him from a life of drug abuse and petty crime to become an award-winning investigative journalist who exposed some of the biggest corporate and political scandals in recent American history.

Leopold broke key stories about the Califor
Published April 1st 2006 by Process

To ask other readers questions about News Junkie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about News Junkie

Michele
Jun 25, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
I read this book because I knew Jason Leopold. He crashed my car on the LIE back in the 80's. He took my friend to the Prom. It was interesting to see what happened after he disappeared from our lives. Falling down a slippery slope of drug use and crime, he eventually met a woman and turned his life around. Good for him!! Having an addictive personality, he became addicted to reporting. His relentless quest for stories led him to writing award-winning articles that helped break the Enron Case.
Pam Mooney
May 23, 2016 Pam Mooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book with lots of interesting stories right straight from the headlines. The author is brutally honest about his rise and fall as an investigative reporter as well as mistakes along the way. He did a lot of good exposing wrong doing in his career but it seems the price was too high. The pace is fast and the story compelling - I really did double check to see if I was mistaken and this was a fictional story. This is a thought provoking story jam packed with bigger than life truth is stran ...more
mike
Jun 21, 2007 mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: journalists, fans of a good narrative
Jason Leopold's News Junkie is a fascinating memoir that manages to blend cocaine addiction, the Mafia and Enron into an intoxicating stew. You become the rat that keeps pushing the button; page follows page and bam, it's over.

I mentioned the Mafia above, so take that as fair warning that if f-bombs offend you, steer clear; there are plenty in this slender tome.

Is there a high to be gotten from writing on deadline? You bet there is. And sometimes it's a low, when you have to do drudgery-on-deadl
Laura Hancock
Aug 02, 2010 Laura Hancock rated it really liked it
The book is based on a former cocaine addict's ventures in journalism, especially with Enron. I'm a journalist, so I enjoyed the inside skinny on the L.A. Times, City News Service, Dow Jones Newswires, etc. The author, to be honest, isn't likable, but he's more likable than David Carr, who wrote a similar self-revealatory tell-all "Night of the Gun."
Cait Finnigan
Apr 30, 2014 Cait Finnigan rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was the perfect blend of reflection, story telling, and personal discovery. I was not familiar with the author's journalistic work, but was impressed with his passion, courage, and honesty. I highly recommend!
Chung-yi Chang
Jan 17, 2013 Chung-yi Chang rated it really liked it
It kept a dismal, crazy and destructive tone for 3/4. The great enlightenment came after the greatest disappointment in the last few pages which brought the redemption to both the author and the reader. strongly recommend.
Roxanne
May 21, 2016 Roxanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a Goodreads win review. This book is just okay at best. I really did not like the part of how he was addicted to drugs and crime. Then he became in his words a news junkie. Could not finish it.
Jojo
Apr 04, 2016 Jojo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this then woke up to #PanamaPapers. Made me appreciate more what goes on behind the scenes of journalism.
Drew Anderson
Nov 08, 2014 Drew Anderson rated it really liked it
Journalism: Not even once.
Will Atkinson
May 30, 2007 Will Atkinson rated it it was ok
Shelves: journalism
Leopold is a fraud but his story is interesting. I bought the book because he recently wrote an alt-media (read: not fact checked) story about Rove being subpoenaed in the Plame investigation. His story is interesting. He did some good work on the Enron scandal, but that's about it.
I'd only recommend this book if you're interested in journalism.
Black Heart
Feb 02, 2009 Black Heart rated it really liked it
An interesting look at modern journalism ethics--or the lack thereof. Jason Leopold helped break the ENRON story, but was also responsible for sloppy and biased journalism, in addition to publishing many blatantly untrue stories. We watch him struggle with addiction, both to drugs and to getting the next big scoop. Gripping. Recommended!
Audacia Ray
Sep 19, 2011 Audacia Ray rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir, read-in-2011
Ok, this book probably merits more than one star, because there are a lot of good things in it. So let's put it this way: I think Leopold's story is really interesting, but the writing was way too scattered. And I do generally appreciate an unsympathetic narrator... but, no. The sexism, the rage... no good.
M.h.
Mar 04, 2009 M.h. rated it it was ok
The vast majority of books on journalism are either dry text books or politically charged assaults on mass media. It was refreshing to find something else but this dipshit is not a good guy, not a good journalist and now unemployable due to his own personality flaws.
Al Matthews
Aug 14, 2007 Al Matthews rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: news, er, junkies
Coke... coke... coke... Coca-cola. Couldn't finish.
No comment on debacles underlying(!) this reporting.

I read this on the overnight shift at CNN.
Then I quit!

Just like Greg Palast said I should! Sorta.
Dante
Aug 04, 2008 Dante rated it it was amazing
Great and hilarious! A behind-the-scenes expose of a hack turned investigative reporter. Unbelievable, but true. Fast paced and unrelenting. Loved it.
Jonathan
Jun 28, 2008 Jonathan rated it liked it
Not for everyone (due to some harsh language), but honestly a refreshing look inside the mind of an amazingly aggressive news journalist.
Frederic Pierce
Oct 27, 2012 Frederic Pierce rated it liked it
A lot of it hit close to home. Thank you Bobby.
Brittaney Freiheit
Brittaney Freiheit marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Emily Nine
Emily Nine rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Jeevan Patnaik
Jeevan Patnaik marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Eric Olsen
Eric Olsen marked it as to-read
Travis Smith
Travis Smith marked it as to-read
Miki
Miki marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Charity Fortune
Charity Fortune marked it as to-read
Elaine Needelman
Elaine Needelman marked it as to-read
Rosy
Rosy marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Isabella Kayleigh
Isabella Kayleigh marked it as to-read
  • Seeking Wisdom from God: A Quest for Truth
  • Dealing, or The Berkeley-To-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues
  • The Story of Colors/La Historia de los Colores: A Bilingual Folktale from the Jungles of Chiapas
  • Who Are We   And Should It Matter In The 21st Century?
  • The Poetry Lesson
  • The Little Black Book of Social Security Secrets, Couples Ages 62-70: Act Now, Retire Secure Later
  • Mostly True: A Memoir of Family, Food, and Baseball
  • The Red Dragon
  • The Digital Invasion: How Technology Is Shaping You And Your Relationships
  • Prisoner in a Red-Rose Chain
  • Faith Ed: Teaching About Religion in an Age of Intolerance
  • Please Don't Paint Our Planet Pink! (A Story for Children and their Adults!)
  • The Killing of Karen Silkwood: The Story Behind the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case
  • The Global Public Square: Religious Freedom and the Making of a World Safe for Diversity
  • Journey to Heaven: A Road Map for Catholic Men
  • Liberty for All
  • LinkedIn In 30 Minutes (2nd Edition): How to create a rock-solid LinkedIn profile and build connections that matter
  • Why It's Still Kicking Off Everywhere: The New Global Revolutions
I'm an Emmy nominated investigative reporter for VICE News where I cover national security. My aggressive use of the Freedom of Information Act includes suing the FBI and Department of Defense and forcing those agencies to changes its FOIA policies; filing the FOIA that forced the State Department to release all 52,000 pages of Hillary Clinton's emails; forcing the NSA for the first time to releas ...more
More about Jason Leopold...