Start by marking “News Junkie” as Want to Read:
News Junkie

Read Excerpt

News Junkie

In News Junkie, the cutthroat worlds of journalism, politics, and high finance are laid bare by Jason Leopold, whose addictive tendencies led him from a life of drug abuse and petty crime to become an award-winning investigative journalist who exposed some of the biggest corporate and political scandals in recent American history.

Leopold broke key stories about the Califor
Published April 1st 2006 by Process

To ask other readers questions about News Junkie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about News Junkie

Michele
Jun 19, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
I read this book because I knew Jason Leopold. He crashed my car on the LIE back in the 80's. He took my friend to the Prom. It was interesting to see what happened after he disappeared from our lives. Falling down a slippery slope of drug use and crime, he eventually met a woman and turned his life around. Good for him!! Having an addictive personality, he became addicted to reporting. His relentless quest for stories led him to writing award-winning articles that helped break the Enron Case.
mike
Jun 21, 2007 mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: journalists, fans of a good narrative
Jason Leopold's News Junkie is a fascinating memoir that manages to blend cocaine addiction, the Mafia and Enron into an intoxicating stew. You become the rat that keeps pushing the button; page follows page and bam, it's over.

I mentioned the Mafia above, so take that as fair warning that if f-bombs offend you, steer clear; there are plenty in this slender tome.

Is there a high to be gotten from writing on deadline? You bet there is. And sometimes it's a low, when you have to do drudgery-on-deadl
Pam Mooney
May 23, 2016 Pam Mooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book with lots of interesting stories right straight from the headlines. The author is brutally honest about his rise and fall as an investigative reporter as well as mistakes along the way. He did a lot of good exposing wrong doing in his career but it seems the price was too high. The pace is fast and the story compelling - I really did double check to see if I was mistaken and this was a fictional story. This is a thought provoking story jam packed with bigger than life truth is stran ...more
Laura Hancock
Aug 02, 2010 Laura Hancock rated it really liked it
The book is based on a former cocaine addict's ventures in journalism, especially with Enron. I'm a journalist, so I enjoyed the inside skinny on the L.A. Times, City News Service, Dow Jones Newswires, etc. The author, to be honest, isn't likable, but he's more likable than David Carr, who wrote a similar self-revealatory tell-all "Night of the Gun."
Cait Finnigan
Apr 22, 2014 Cait Finnigan rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was the perfect blend of reflection, story telling, and personal discovery. I was not familiar with the author's journalistic work, but was impressed with his passion, courage, and honesty. I highly recommend!
Chung-yi Chang
Jan 17, 2013 Chung-yi Chang rated it really liked it
It kept a dismal, crazy and destructive tone for 3/4. The great enlightenment came after the greatest disappointment in the last few pages which brought the redemption to both the author and the reader. strongly recommend.
Mike DaBears
Mar 07, 2017 Mike DaBears rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
Jenni V.
I received this book for free at a book convention. There was no expectation of a review but since it was a giveaway, I figured better safe than sorry regarding a disclaimer.

He's sleazy but is completely honest about it.

He did such a good job describing his decline and pulling me in that I had to take breaks for my own mental health. It was engrossing but I was so uncomfortable reading it. I had sweaty palms because I was waiting for everything to crumble like I knew it was going to.

Also, while
Will Atkinson
May 29, 2007 Will Atkinson rated it it was ok
Shelves: journalism
Leopold is a fraud but his story is interesting. I bought the book because he recently wrote an alt-media (read: not fact checked) story about Rove being subpoenaed in the Plame investigation. His story is interesting. He did some good work on the Enron scandal, but that's about it.
I'd only recommend this book if you're interested in journalism.
Black Heart
Jun 15, 2008 Black Heart rated it really liked it
An interesting look at modern journalism ethics--or the lack thereof. Jason Leopold helped break the ENRON story, but was also responsible for sloppy and biased journalism, in addition to publishing many blatantly untrue stories. We watch him struggle with addiction, both to drugs and to getting the next big scoop. Gripping. Recommended!
Audacia Ray
Sep 04, 2011 Audacia Ray rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir, read-in-2011
Ok, this book probably merits more than one star, because there are a lot of good things in it. So let's put it this way: I think Leopold's story is really interesting, but the writing was way too scattered. And I do generally appreciate an unsympathetic narrator... but, no. The sexism, the rage... no good.
Roxanne
May 21, 2016 Roxanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a Goodreads win review. This book is just okay at best. I really did not like the part of how he was addicted to drugs and crime. Then he became in his words a news junkie. Could not finish it.
Dani Kass
I wish he just stuck to the journalism. Any parts of this book about Leopold's work were fascinating, and really that's what I came to read about. Anything about his addiction and family were important, but poorly written and developed.
Al Matthews
Aug 14, 2007 Al Matthews rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: news, er, junkies
Coke... coke... coke... Coca-cola. Couldn't finish.
No comment on debacles underlying(!) this reporting.

I read this on the overnight shift at CNN.
Then I quit!

Just like Greg Palast said I should! Sorta.
M.h.
Mar 04, 2009 M.h. rated it it was ok
The vast majority of books on journalism are either dry text books or politically charged assaults on mass media. It was refreshing to find something else but this dipshit is not a good guy, not a good journalist and now unemployable due to his own personality flaws.
Dante
Aug 04, 2008 Dante rated it it was amazing
Great and hilarious! A behind-the-scenes expose of a hack turned investigative reporter. Unbelievable, but true. Fast paced and unrelenting. Loved it.
Jonathan
Jun 21, 2008 Jonathan rated it liked it
Not for everyone (due to some harsh language), but honestly a refreshing look inside the mind of an amazingly aggressive news journalist.
Jojo
Apr 04, 2016 Jojo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this then woke up to #PanamaPapers. Made me appreciate more what goes on behind the scenes of journalism.
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2008
Erik Mitchell
Erik Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Katie Skipper
Katie Skipper rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Polina Anisimova
Polina Anisimova rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2007
Scott Haraburda
Scott Haraburda rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Kyle Reid
Kyle Reid rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Tffany
Tffany rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Angela Brooks
Angela Brooks rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Mike Gonzalez
Mike Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Liberty for All
  • Hiroshima in America
  • Prisoner in a Red-Rose Chain
  • Twitter is Not a Strategy: Rediscovering the Art of Brand Marketing
  • El Monstruo: Dread and Redemption in Mexico City
  • Dealing, or The Berkeley-To-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues
  • Who Are We   And Should It Matter In The 21st Century?
  • Mostly True: A Memoir of Family, Food, and Baseball
  • The Global Public Square: Religious Freedom and the Making of a World Safe for Diversity
  • The Digital Invasion: How Technology Is Shaping You And Your Relationships
  • Journey to Heaven: A Road Map for Catholic Men
  • Remote: Reflections on Life in the Shadow of Celebrity
  • Art: Why I Stuck with a Junkie Jazzman
  • Seeking Wisdom from God: A Quest for Truth
  • Arctic Wings: A Story of Crime and Justice on the Northern Frontier
  • Still Ours to Lead: America, Rising Powers, and the Tension between Rivalry and Restraint
  • To Market, to Market
  • Professor Povey's Perplexing Problems: Pre-university Physics and Maths Puzzles with Solutions
I'm an Emmy nominated investigative reporter for VICE News where I cover national security. My aggressive use of the Freedom of Information Act includes suing the FBI and Department of Defense and forcing those agencies to changes its FOIA policies; filing the FOIA that forced the State Department to release all 52,000 pages of Hillary Clinton's emails; forcing the NSA for the first time to releas ...more
More about Jason Leopold...