Start by marking “Spring Thaw” as Want to Read:
Spring Thaw

Spring Thaw

Lyrical prose and lush illustrations depict the coming of springtime on a farm, from the warm wind that arrives during the night, to melting snow, to newborn lambs curled up in hay warmed by the sun.
Published 2000 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Spring Thaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring Thaw

Manybooks
Apr 30, 2011 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children interested in the four seasons
With a simple text as flowing and caressing as the warm wind that signals the start of spring, Spring Thaw, written by Steven Schnur, with accompanying illustrations by Stacey Schuett, describes in evocative detail (both narratively and visually) the many signs of early spring on the farm, in the woods, in the countryside. There is not much of an actual storyline, and thus, no real narrative tension presented, but Spring Thaw does not really require this. It is simply and beautifully an atmosphe ...more
midnightfaerie
Mar 13, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The kids won't be interested too much in the story, my 5 yr old was a little bit. But what really makes this book special are the paintings. You can actually see the brush strokes on the canvas, and for those of you, like me, who think snow and weather change is beautiful, you will appreciate this book. Also, my husband taps our maple trees for syrup and there is the old fashioned way of doing this in the book. The process was interesting and something my son could relate to. A few bigger words ...more
Kathryn
May 04, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Spring Thaw, the story of the day when the snow begins to melt and spring starts to appear, worked its gentle magic on me. I loved the way the story built, full of subtle expectation then building as more and more elements of spring began to appear. I thought some of the (admittedly few) words were so well-chosen and evocative of the subject, such as the heart-shaped hoof prints left behind by the deer. Lovely! I also really enjoyed the illustrations. (The raccoon is especially adorable!) I espe ...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 18, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: celebrating and teaching about the environment in its changing from winter to spring
This is an incredibly lovely book about the coming of spring, so evocative by using snow & running water, wild & domestic animals, with gorgeous colors and illustrations. This is a very quiet book. There’s no exciting story, no real story of any kind, but its pages will keep kids engrossed and excited. Just beautiful! It was a perfect choice for the Children's Books group Picture Books Club, whose theme for May is spring. I’m glad I got a copy to read before the end of the month.

There’s
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about the beginning of Spring, the time of the year when the snow begins to melt for the last time and the Spring flowers begin to come up. The animals awaken from hibernation and new babies are born. It's a quiet story, with a short narrative and full-page illustrations that are muted, with subtle shades of color. It's a nice story to read aloud (and definitely a good one for bedtime) and we enjoyed reading it together.

This book was chosen as one of the selections for the
Nancy
May 17, 2017 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, children
This is a lovely children's book, showing the emerging sings of spring. The illustrations were beautiful.
Shelli
Dec 26, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely simple story of the first day of spring, told through the point of view of a farmer and his son. I do not live in an area that snows or even gets very cold, but the illustrations and text do a wonderful job of describing how good that first warmer day with sunshine must feel after a long cold snowy winter.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
The pictures are wonderful, providing a sense of atmosphere that runs throughout the book. The prose is nice too, definitely sets the tone. I really enjoyed it, but my son thought it was boring.
Emily
Jul 17, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
really interesting - more about spring and what happens around it - good pictures and interesting information (picture book)
Rachel
May 25, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations. Beautiful verbal imagery. I love the rooted feeling of being tied to the earth and nature and seasons and family.
Lindy
Lindy rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2017
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Denise Ortakales
Denise Ortakales rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
xXRossiya AruXx
xXRossiya AruXx rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2009
Karol
Karol rated it really liked it
May 15, 2011
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Alison
Alison rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2017
Rusty Gregory
Rusty Gregory rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013
Molly
Molly rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Emma Hoyer
Emma Hoyer rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008