Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Arthur can't wait to hand out his birthday party invitations. But it turns out Muffy is having her party on the exact same day! All of his friends are split between the two parties so Arthur and Francine hatch a clever scheme to make sure Arthur and Muffy have the best birthdays yet!
Published April 1st 1991 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1989)

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynNight by Elie WieselTwelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Night and Day
108th out of 348 books — 37 voters
Toot & Puddle by Holly HobbieThe Secret Birthday Message by Eric CarleMax's Birthday by Rosemary WellsMr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte ZolotowTouch and Feel by Anne Millard
Children's Books about Birthdays
53rd out of 90 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Brown, Marc Tolon. Arthur's Birthday. Boston: Joy Street, 1989. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslilbrary.com

Arthur's Birthday is the birthday themed volume in the long running Arthur series. Arthur and Muffy are both holding a birthday party on the same day. This is a problem as their friends do not know whose party to attend. Filled with the same simple story telling of all the volumes in the series.
The Arthur books are well written with simple storie...more
Tobinsfavorite
Max
Another winner in the Arthur series - Marc Brown closes out the 1980s with this entry in the adventures of Arthur. Arthur is looking forward to his birthday; unfortunately, Muffy's birthday party is planned for the same day as Arthur's party. What happens? Read the book to find out.

Much like the artwork in the mid-1980s entry Arthur's Teacher Trouble, Marc Brown really hits his stride. His artwork is solid here, in spite of watercolor being a tricky medium. A trained artist like me is able to di...more
Josiah
It's a bit difficult to approach this book as a mental blank slate after knowing about its surprises from having watched the television episode based on it, but anyway I look at it this is a very good book.

Marc Brown is at or near his best in the creation of this story, both in terms of writing ability and impressive illustrations. The plot is interesting and fun, and features almost all of the characters who aren't seen as often in the books, such as Fern. The inventive solution that Arthur c...more
Paula Hrbacek
May 03, 2011 Paula Hrbacek rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: tutors, parents, big brothers
Recommended to Paula by: library
This review is from: Arthur's Birthday Surprise: An Arthur Adventure (Paperback)
I'm a Big Brother who does school visits, helping my little with his reading skills. He tests at a 2.5 level. We read this book, and he had some problems with the puns. He didn't know that a cow has an udder, so he didn't get the "udderly great" pun.
The book has a board game on the back that makes a fun activity to follow up and practice additional reading skills. All you need is three coins to play the game. This...more
Deanna Donald
I would read this to a student who is celebrating a birthday. We never know what students truly celebrate their birthday at home and I want to make sure that all of my students feel special on their birthday on my classroom. I love the excitement Arthur has about his birthday and I would love to share this with my students on their birthdays. I would love to have enough of this book to give to each srtudent on their birthday so if they do not receive a gift from anyone else, they'll receive one...more
Marina
Mar 01, 2014 Marina added it
its fun to read. i like it
Andd Becker
In this excellent Arthur book, nearly every page has printed words incorporated in the visuals. Look at the pictures of these items: gift-wrapped package, calendar, envelopes, cereal box, cookbook, newspaper, lunch box, book, card, paste jar, pictures on the wall, invitation, letters above the chalkboard, balloon package, store window, flag, tree house, sign, mailbox, letter, apron, tin, poster, birthday cake, and bottle.
Wow! There is so much in this book for a parent or a teacher to discuss w...more
Beth
Picture this; the year is 1991 I remember very distinctly stopping by the "Story Steps" in the library to ask Mrs. Reed our amazing school librarian if the new Arthur book was in.
She led me excitedly over to her desk and produced the latest waxy copy of Arthur's Birthday and allowed me to sign it out at the very first name on the check out card.

Elliott is the smartest 3 yr old ever for loving Arthur so much!
These books rock. Im looking for the box set!
Victoria Laporte
This story is about Arthur and his birthday party. Arthur and Muffy are having their party on the same day. Arthur decides to surprise Muffy by throwing her a birthday party. Releasing Arthur brought back a lot of childhood memories because Arthur helped me learn to read English. This story can be used to teach students about sequencing and style because when you read Arthur you know that they were written and illustrated by Marc Brown.
Ealthafer
Who dosent love Arthur and all his friends? Children will love reading and being read Arthur because they know who he is. This book would work well when talking to children about compromise and how to make things work. The illustrations are also good for predicting because they show things the page before it actually happens. For example we can see Muffy handing out cards when Arthur is so students can guess whats going to happen.
Pam
Love that the kids realize you need boys and girls to make the world go round. Excellent book(s) we have 2 versions! (Just counting one for the project)
Chelsea
I love the Arthur books collection. Each book is easy to relate to situations in kids' every day lives, and they have adorable stories that the children love! When Arthur planned his party the same day as Muffy's, Arthur had to find a way to incorporate both parties so all of their friends could attend! Muffy surprised Muffy with a joint party, teaching kids the morals of sharing and compromise!
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter has developed an Arthur fixation, which is unfortunate, because I really don't like Brown's writing. I find his prose clunky. The stories themselves are choppy with awkward transitions between the pages (or none at all). While I appreciate the lessons he is trying to teach children, I find that the books get tiresome to read because the writing just isn't very good.
Steve
I liked Arthur's problem solving problem. Two birthday parties on the same day. Arthur has a seemingly good solution, except they didn't iron out the wrinkles in the story, and follow through. Muffy hired a clown and something else, and when Arthur has a surprise party at his house, what happened to her stuff? Did they go over to Muffy's party afterwards? They don't say.
Amanda
I read this to my students as we discussed the elements of fiction. It is also a great book to discuss third person, because even though it's all about Arthur, he's not the one telling the story. That threw my kids for a loop, believe it or not :) And, this gets 5 stars - as will pretty much anything from Marc Brown. He's WONDERFUL.
Cindy
During elementary school I was on a mission to read every Arthur book I could get my hands on.

I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Lauren
Arthur and Muffy both have a birthday party planned for the same day. Their friends are turned between whose birthday party to attend. Arthur decides to throw a surprise combined birthday party for the two of them. The book is a fun way to teach coming up with solutions for conflicts.
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
Modboy
Jul 16, 2010 Modboy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Children Who Enjoy Detailed Stories or Suffer from Arthuritus.
Marc Brown has a knack for creating stories with real-life scenarios and ideal solutions. This one is engaging and encourages sharing. I love the illustrations and the little details such as how the maple syrup was brought by Aunt Bonnie all the way from Ohio.
May
Arthur and Muffy have the same set of friends and when their birthday happened to be on the same day.. neither knew who will come to each of their own birthday party. but Arthur on the other hand, has a plan to solve it.

Good read and clever ending.
Christian Padgett
Unselfishness and friendship are the two biggest morals in this story. Although it was Arthur's Birthday, he still allowed for someone else to share the spotlight as well. I would use this in my classroom to teach these two lessons.
Megan Rowland
This is a good book to read to the class when you know that there are students who are having a disagreement. This book is about compromising. Have this book in the classroom for when each student has a birthday, they can read this book.
Christine Turner
PLN Theme: Raise a Reader

Their friends must decide which party to attend when Francine schedules her birthday party for the same day as Arthur's birthday party. www.hcpl.net

Available in Spanish
Theresa
good early reader, using text to relate to the television show many of the stories hae been repeated in the show. arthur has been looking forward to his birthday all day

Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It was Arthur and Muffy's birthday so Arthur had a surprise birthday party for Muffy so all their friends could come celebrate both birthday's together. J.R.
Mama
8 year old playing spin the bottle? Really?
Girls upset that the boys can't come to their party? And the same with the boys? No. Don't like it.
Dolly
Aug 24, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: childrens, 2007, birthday
A cute story from the Arthur series. Two Birthday parties on the same day? What should they do? Our girls enjoyed this one.
Huda
This book was more interesting than the previous Arthur book. I really liked the surprise that Arthur did for Muffy.
Betsy
This would be a great book to read when someone in class has a birthday. A great way to make them feel special!
  • Froggy Goes to Bed
  • Clifford's First Autumn
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • The Berenstain Bears and Baby Makes Five
  • Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)
  • 100th Day Worries
  • Curious George and the Firefighters (Curious George New Adventures)
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs (The Magic School Bus, #6)
  • The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3)
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)