Start by marking “Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series) ” as Want to Read:
Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series) (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur has been picked to direct his school's Thanksgiving play-and cast the roles. But all his friends want to be star, and no one wants to play the Turkey! What will Arthur do?
Published September 30th 1984 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series)

Heather
Nov 23, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
Heather Jo
Nov 19, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Andrea Hussey
Nov 23, 2016 Andrea Hussey rated it it was ok
Ronyell
“Arthur’s Thanksgiving” is another classic holiday story from the creative mind of Marc Brown and this time, Arthur has his hands full when he is the director of the Thanksgiving school play and he must find someone to play the role of the turkey before the day of the play comes. “Arthur’s Thanksgiving” is a lovely book for children who love the “Arthur” series and will remain to be one of the most memorable books out of the “Arthur” series ever created.

Marc Brown’s success on his “Arthur” serie
Emily
Nov 23, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
This was a great thanksgiving book to read to your class. My practicum teacher read it to her first grade class and they absolutely loved it. It allows you to turn the story into an interactive story with the students you are reading it to, giving students the opportunity to make predictions about what is going to happen with the play Arthur is in charge of. This story is very cute and one of my favorites, I loved Arthur growing up and I think it is a great story to share with children and to re ...more
Carmen
Not well developed or as emotionally strong as other Arthur stories, but still a hit with my students who love the series. No one wants to be the turkey in the school's Thanksgiving play, for which Arthur was chosen as the director. ( Why is the turkey such an unpopular role? My students came up with "because he's going to get shot and eaten," but that didn't seem to play a part in this story. Why was Arthur chosen as director? No idea.)He asks and cajoles everyone, but each of his classmates is ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
This is a cute little book that is at the 3rd Grade reading level.

It features the popular characters from the Arthur series and the plot ought to please most children.

The story begins with Mr. Ratburn assigning Arthur the role of director for his class' Thanksgiving Play. Arthur soon finds out that it's not a plum job. The role of narrator goes the quickest, and other duties and roles are picked up... all except for the one that involves wearing the silly turkey costume.

Goofiness follows as var
Jennifer Velez
This book is about a Thanksgiving play where Arthur got choosen by Mr. Ratburn to be the director. Arthur had never been the director of a play, he was in charge of assigning the different parts of the play to the other students. Everyone the next day gave him stuff and told them who they wanted to be in the play. The problem was that nobody wanted to be the most important part of the play, the TURKEY!He asked everyone and nobody wanted to play the role of the turkey, so he had to make a decisio ...more
Annie Zuckerman
Oct 22, 2012 Annie Zuckerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
This is another great Arthur book by Marc Brown. Arthur is assigned to be the director of the school's Thanksgiving play. All of his classmates want specific parts and begin to bribe him with all sorts of goodies. However, there is one part that no one wants to play...the Turkey. Arthur tries his hardest to find someone to play the role, but he just can't find anyone. Eventually there is nothing left to do, but play the part himself.
This book does a great job of including some historical facts
Ms.Kim
Aug 11, 2015 Ms.Kim rated it did not like it
While the conflict of Arthur needing to find someone to play the turkey in the play he is chosen to direct is funny (and the kids and I predicted the resolution to the conflict), where this book fell short--way short, in my opinion--is in its message. Or its non-message, rather. The conclusion of the Thanksgiving play is that turkey is the point of Thanksgiving. That really falls short of the significance and the spirit of Thanksgiving. Issues with the play aside, Arthur doesn't seem to learn an ...more
Michel Butler
My second graders and I recently read this book in class, and it is pretty adorable. After Arthur is asked to be the director of the school Thanksgiving play, he cannot find anyone to play the part of the turkey. After searching and begging for someone to play the part, he takes the part himself. When it comes time for him to walk on stage, he is surprised to see so many of his friends and family on stage dressed as turkeys. This is a really adorable story that highlights how family and friends ...more
Robert
Dec 24, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
While I am no fan of Arthur, this is a better one. Arthur is selected to be the director of the play. Surprise! Everyone bribes Arthur to secure the role he wants. Not a particularly good lesson, eh? Arthur struggles to find a turkey. Yes, it is telegraphed, but Arthur steps up to be the turkey in the end after disastrous rehearsals. He does so after D.W. shares with him, "If you want something done correctly, do it yourself." That old adage is good advice. Of course, the others rally too and th ...more
Tracy Poff
The eighth Arthur book. Arthur is put in charge of the Thanksgiving play. Arthur's friends are extra nice to him, to be sure they get the parts they want. This is nice, until Arthur realizes that nobody wants to play the turkey--and he can't have a play called The Big Turkey Hunt without a turkey! I was expecting a lesson about leadership, or standing up to your friends, or something, but in the end Arthur just plays the turkey himself, and his friends are kind enough to join him in his embarras ...more
Faith Bailey
Dec 07, 2016 Faith Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
It's fall and Arthur has been put in charge of something very important: the thanksgiving play! He learns that it isn't easy to make everyone happy and come out with the perfect project. Worst of all, no one wants to be the turkey. In the end, it is a very spirited play.
I loved this book. It was classic and sweet. There is a lot to learn from these lovable animals and their shenanigans.
I would love to read this aloud to my class closer to thanksgiving. It would help the classroom feel more fes
Gabrielle
Such a cute book for kids that includes historical facts. It's a fun book because Arthur is in charge of the school Thanksgiving play, and no one was the be the turkey. Eventually Arthur has to play the Turkey in the play. It's one of my favorite Arthur books, I remember reading this growing up. It really is a great holiday book that kids will love. It will also introduce them to the rest of the Arthur books which are perfect for young readers. The language is sometimes challenging, but it's an ...more
K.
Nov 20, 2012 K. rated it really liked it
When Arthur is appointed director of his class's Thanksgiving play, he's relieved because he doesn't have to play the turkey. With his classmates all bribing him with goodies to get the lead parts, Arthur soon finds himself with a dilemma. Nobody wants to be the turkey. So, what is Arthur to do? Will he convince one of his classmates in time for the play to be the turkey?

Great read for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Everyone loves Arthur! My Kindergarten students were very interested in this story. Arthur is the director/producer of the school play and has to find someone to play the most important role, the turkey. No one wanted to be the turkey, so Arthur decides to do it. Most of the cast of the play wind up dressing like a turkey with Arthur. This is a great book to show good and bad qualities of friendship.
Sydney Hall
Had to pick another Arthur book because I love them so much. I haven't seen this one yet but it met all my Arthur expectations! Arthur is planning the Thanksgiving play at school and finds out quickly that he has too many people to please regarding who will play the star turkey. To overcome this dilemma, he allows everyone in the play to be the turkey. I think this shows problem-solving and perseverance, which is great for kids to read about!
Meg McGregor
Nov 22, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-reads
Little ones who love Arthur will gobble up this humorous story featuring Arthur's dilemma about who will play the turkey for the Thanksgiving play.

The illustrations are the old Arthur style which might surprise some readers who are used to the modern pictures of Arthur and his friends.

I enjoyed how Arthur's problem of finding someone to play the turkey was resolved.
Holly Letson
I was perusing my father's bookshelves and found this gem. I felt it would be a perfect read for this time of year, very suiting. And, it turns out that I was right.

Arthur found out the hard way that "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.". And, when he did, the play was a major success.
Jessica
Jun 07, 2014 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: isaiah, 1000-books, kids
Thanksgiving provides an opportunity for us to eat good food, spend time with family, and start to speak honestly with the young people in our life about the First Nations. This book misses the opportunity to provide respectful representations of Native Americans. Even though we love Arthur, we won't read it again.
Sam Wojtaszek
Nov 21, 2014 Sam Wojtaszek rated it really liked it
Poor Arthur slowly realizes he'll have to play the embarrassing role of the turkey in the school's Thanksgiving play, since no one else is willing to. But in the end, his classmates don't let him go it alone-- a heart warming read.
Joel
Mar 27, 2014 Joel rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
It's cute enough and our son likes it, but be aware it still uses the term "Indians" a lot so you'll need to be vigilant changing it to "native Americans." Wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't gifted to us.
Simon Wojtaszek
Jan 16, 2015 Simon Wojtaszek rated it really liked it
ABC
Nov 12, 2008 ABC rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kindergarteners
Shelves: younger-kids
Arthur has to find a turkey for the school Thanksgiving play. The story meanders a little, but it has a good ending.

It uses the word "Indians" if that offends you.

The illustrations date way before the PBS cartoon. They are much rougher, but still pretty funny and cute.
Violet
Dec 01, 2012 Violet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I grew up with Arthur and in majority of these books have a message or lessons to be learned. Also, kids are fascinated with interesting animals and an aardvark is one cool creature to talk about. You could read any Arthur book and then be able to tie a lesson in about aardvarks.
Mary
A gently humorous Arthur story. This time the gang is putting on a Thanksgiving play and no one wants to be the turkey. Best line is when Buster has trouble remembering his line: "In 1620," he recited, "we sailed to America on the cauliflower."
Rachelolivia
Jun 01, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
II
Stephen Snyder
A cute Thanksgiving book.

Thank you for the loan Franklin Public Library.
Diana Pettis
Nov 20, 2011 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
Xander told me this is a great book and all the kids in kindergarten class loved it so it was ok to read it to him again.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 6 1 3 Aug 20, 2014 05:12AM
  • One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)

“Arthur’s class was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop.
Mr. Ratburn was about to announce the director for the Thanksgiving play, The Big Turkey Hunt.
Arthur chewed his pencil.
“I hope he picks me,” whispered Francine.
They all held their breath.
“I’ve chosen Arthur to direct the play,” said Mr. Ratburn.
He handed Arthur the script.
“Me? The director?” said Arthur.
“Oh, no,” grumbled Francine. “This is going to be a disaster.”
0 likes
“Arthur thought Francine would make a good turkey.
“Never!” said Francine. “I want to be the narrator. Besides, I have the loudest voice.”
No doubt about that. Francine would be the narrator.

Arthur showed Muffy a drawing of the turkey costume.
“Lots of feathers,” said Arthur. “It’s a very glamorous role.”
“Yuk! Vomitrocious!” squealed Muffy. “I should be the Indian princess. I have real braids.”

“Brain, I’ve saved the most intelligent part for you,” explained Arthur.
“No way will I be the turkey,” answered the Brain. “I’ll be the Indian chief.”

“Buster, you’re my best friend,” began Arthur. “The part is real easy. Only one line, and it’s the best in the play.”
“I want to be Governor Bradford,” said Buster.

Arthur was so desperate that he asked Binky Barnes. “The turkey is a strong and powerful animal,” argued Arthuer.
“Yeah, without saying a word it can make you look like a fool in front of the entire school,” said Binky.
The play was only six days away. Where would Arthur find a turkey?”
0 likes