Start by marking “Arthur Babysits (An Arthur Adventure)” as Want to Read:
Arthur Babysits (An Arthur Adventure)

Arthur Babysits (Arthur Adventure Series)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,570 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
D.W. volunteers Arthur to babysit the terrible Tibble twins, notorious for their mischief. The situation gets out of control, but Arthur comes up with a great idea to get the twins to behave. Text copyright 2004 Lectorum Publications, Inc.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1994 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Babysits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Babysits

Ronyell
Apr 05, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Arthur Babysits” is another one of Marc Brown’s fantastic “Arthur” series about the importance of responsibility. In this story, Arthur has his hands full as he baby-sits a pair of troublesome twins when their mother is out of town. “Arthur Babysits” is truly a cute tale about the trials of babysitting that children will love for many years.

Marc Brown has done it again as he writes a brilliant story about the importance of being responsible when babysitting other people’s children. I love the
Ealthafer
I enjoyed reading this book and seeing what would happen because I really didn't know what the conclusion would be. I think this book would be good to teach students beginning, middle, and end because all the 3 parts can be easily described and pointed out. The beginning arthur offered to babysit. The middle Arthur got nervous and at first did a bad job babysitting. The end he calmed the boys down with a story and was asked to babysit again.
James
Nov 30, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur learns the power of using fear to control others. DW, amused, watches from the shadows.
Tamera Fleming
Dec 04, 2016 Tamera Fleming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary,: Arthur's finally get the opportunity to babysits. Arthur's planned out the whole day for the children but once that time finally came it was not what he expected. The children lept moving around and getting into everything. Finally, Arthur was able to calm the children down by reading to them.

2) Grade level, interest level, lexile: PreK-3rd, ages 4-8, and 350L

3) Appropriate classroom use (subject area): Reading block

4) Individual students who might benefit from reading: Every
Rosa Cline
Mar 13, 2017 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, baby-siblings, 2017
No one wants to babysit the Tibble Twins! Everyone runs and hides from them. Arthur isn't scared though or is he? He goes and tries and although they are a handful he does uses his head and out smarts him (and his little sister) A fun baby sitter book!
Amyfini.thomas
Feb 09, 2017 Amyfini.thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love it

marc brown does not disappoint. arthur has to babysit the tibble twins and dw is full of advice. now to see if arthur can handle double trouble.
Oct 25, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DW volunteers Arthur as a baby sitter for the twins down the street. They are a handful, but Arthur takes control.
Laura Gibbs
Everyone loves Arthur books! This one was about Arthur babysitting someone besides his sisters for the first time: the tibble twins! Before he goes, his sister and all his friends talk to him about how horrible the boys are and Arthur gets really nervous! As soon as he gets there, they go wild and start doing things like knocking things over while playing cowboys/Indians, throwing cards, and tying Arthur up to a chair in the game of cowboys and Indians. All through this, D.W. is calling and chec ...more
Jennifer Johnson
Dec 05, 2014 Jennifer Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Babysits written by Marc Brown is about Arthur’s experience babysitting the Tribble twins. One day, Arthur and his sister were walking pat the Tribble house, when their grandma walked out and told them she was looking for a babysitter. DW volunteered Arthur to watch the twins, who were known for misbehaving, The book continues as Arthur experiences his first babysitting job and the Tribble house.

The illustrations in this book are very whimsical throughout. On the front cover for example,
Morgan
Arthur is on another adventure, this time he's babysitting. This is a very relate-able book for this age group because many children may be starting to babysit at his age for their sibling. Arthur's books are always great transitional books for young middle grade readers to start with.
Haley Herman
Sep 11, 2014 Haley Herman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
The Arthur series never disappoints, but the reason I gave this particular title three stars is because the twins get away with absolutely everything they did to poor Arthur completely scot-free, just because they happen to be behaving when grandma gets home. And the only reason they were behaving is because Arthur lied to them and told them that phony story.
Perhaps children could get the idea that a) It is okay to lie to scare someone into behaving and b) You should only behave when your parent
Krysta Jenkins
"Arthur Babysits" is about Arthur's worries about babysitting. The illustrations help to enhance what the text on the page tell the reader. Dark colors make up the background of the twin's home in the beginning of the story to express the dread all the adults feel for the roudy twin boys. But, bright colors surround the rest of the characters in the book. Full bleed pages are most common in the book, but a few illustrations have boarders around them and multiple pictures are shown on one page in ...more
Cana
Sep 17, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: OK, we didn't read the board book for Pete's sake, but that's the only choice Goodreads gave me. Anyway, Cana picked this one out because she loves Arthur books and has discovered the Arthur section of the library. I suspect we'll be reading a lot more Arthur and D.W. in the coming weeks. Anyhoo, this is a tale about Arthur babysitting two hellions and how he tricks them into behaving. Wish he could come to my house!
Cory Schulz
Judging by the cover, it looks like Arthur has to babysit some twins wearing cowboy hats and lassos. Like any kids in this first time experience, Arthur is really nervous about all of this responsibilities when taking care of someone that is not his family. It was not until he talked to his parents when he felt comfortable with the situation because this parents reassured him. I could see this as another lesson on responsibility and not freaking out over the little things.
Olivia
Dec 26, 2015 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This might be my least favorite book in the Arthur series. First of all, the family he babysits for are human...in a world full of anthropomorphic animals. Second, he gets the kids in line by scaring them which is a lazy way to get a child to behave and can lead to trust issues latter on. It's not a bad story though, so don't let me discourage you from buying it.
Sidney
This book is a classic as I loved watching Arthur as a kid and reading it. This book shows the danger of babysitting and how sometimes you have to play a game with the kids in order to get them to listen to you. D.W puts Arthur up to this task, but he proves her wrong and makes her help the next time because the Tibble twins aren't always very easy.
Aubree Cash
Sep 02, 2014 Aubree Cash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Arthur babysits because I used to love the show as a kid. Arthur always has smart plans and this shows his great thinking skills. Very mature. I would read this book to 1st or 2nd grade to show intelligence and responsibility.
Sharon
Another Arthur adventure classic. I especially love the theme music associated with the television series for Arthur which rings in my head as I read another Arthur selection. Great book for young beginning readers and children who love Arthur and the television series associated with it!
Sharon
Aug 16, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, dan, tom
This book has suddenly come into heavy rotation. Tommy likes that one of the lively twins shares his name. I think Danny envisions himself as a future babysitter, but he definitely enjoys the depictions of babysitting gone awry (poop and barf, among other things).
April Smith
Arthur takes his responsibilities seriously while babysitting. He teaches children how to take responsibility and following through with what you have committed to. Arthur sets a very good example of how to handle tough situations and teaches children not to give up.
Rebekah
I'm not the Arthur fan S is but this story is a good one. He keeps hos promises, learns how to gain the respect of some youngins (the only humans I've ever seen in an Arthur book), and accepts help from his sister.
Alexis Munk
I was not a fan of this book. I've never been a fan of Arthur. I do not like the illustrations at all. I did like how even though everyone said the twins he was to babysit were awful, he still watched them. He also learned that they weren't so bad after all.
Shacoria
Dec 24, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok
In this book Arthur is asked to babysit the Tibble twins, who are known for being terrible. When he goes to babysit them they tie him up and do other naughty things, but eventually he finds a way to tame them. This book was pretty funny.
Ashlyn Barker
Loved these books as a child and after reading them again, I still think they're great! Children who have watched the show will find this series of books to be somewhat predictable - which is helpful for interesting and engaging newer readers.
Ashley
Aug 14, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of children can relate to the difficulities of babysitting with this book. Would be great for children to read on their own.
Denise Weldon-siviy
If you're appalled at toy guns, pass on this one

The combination of toy guns and bratty behavior really days this one there are much better Arthur books. Pass on this one.
Shana Karnes
Aug 16, 2016 Shana Karnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-ruthie
This book was so entertaining, especially since I'm leaving Ruthie with my brother for a while as I travel. It cracks me up to think about him quasi-panicking when she does something unexpected. :)
Nicole
Jan 10, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute kids book

A cute kids book, my daughter enjoyed it. I would recommend for small kids. Good like the other Arthur stories.

Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
good early reader, using text to relate to the television show many of the stories hae been repeated in the show.
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
from sameera 1 2 Apr 02, 2012 07:06AM
  • Clifford's Family
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit
  • Curious George in the Big City
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
  • Franklin Is Bossy
  • Curious George and the Rocket
  • Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten
  • Just Me and My Little Brother (Little Critter)
  • Martha Speaks
  • Snowmen at Work
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • The Magic School Bus Going Batty: A Book About Bats
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)