Start by marking “Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)” as Want to Read:
Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  3,889 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Arthur is overjoyed when he brings home his new puppy, Pal. But when Arthur forgets to close Pal's gate, the puppy goes wild! It's a good thing Arthur has some training tricks up his sleeve!
Published September 1st 1995 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's New Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's New Puppy

Doc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
32nd out of 206 books — 98 voters
Marley & Me by John GroganDewey by Vicki MyronThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussHomer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper
It's Raining Cats & Dogs!
34th out of 217 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Cory Schulz
This Arthur book is about Arthur getting a new puppy, hence the title. Arthur finally convinces his parents that he is responsible enough to get a pet and he wants to get a puppy. The puppy turns out to cause a lot of problems within the house. This book can be a teaching point for responsibility. I can see my self using this book for getting a new class pet or having the kids take responsibility for getting homework done or working on a group project. This book was very special to me because my...more
David
Arthur's New Puppy: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series) by Marc Brown is about Arthur's new puppy, Pal. Will Arthur get Pal under control, or will Pal be sent away to a farm?

When his new puppy, Pal, tears the living room apart, wets on everything, and refuses to wear his leash, Arthur gets worried. His parents are unhappy with Pal's behavior and everyone wants to banish the boisterous puppy to the garage. What if Arthur can't control Pal, and he gets sent away to live on a farm? With...more
Ronyell
Apr 06, 2010 Ronyell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children ages 5 and up
Marc Brown has done a great job at creating a story about the responsibilities of taking care of a pet. I enjoy the way that Marc Brown brings reality to Arthur’s situation in taking care of a puppy as Arthur soon finds it hard to take care of a puppy the first time, which is normal for people who have never took care of a pet before. I also like the way that Arthur takes full responsibility for training and taking care of Pal because it shows how mature he is during this situation and most chil...more
Barbara
I love Arthur! These books were always my favorite, I would always watch the TV show on PBS as well. They are great stories about all kinds of animals that have families and personalities and tons of fun. These books are great for any little kids. I still love looking at the show or books now for great memories! They teach children great lessons about family and friends! Excellent reads! This particular Arthur books is about Arthur and his family getting his puppy named "Pal" I always loved this...more
Sarah Sammis
I used to watch the Arthur cartoons on PBS when I was babysitting the neighbors. This was long before I had kids of my own. Neither of my two seem to like the Arthur series much; I like it more than they do. So it surprised me when Harriet decided to check out Arthur's New Puppy by Marc Brown.

If watched any of the episodes or read any of the books, you know that Arthur has a dog named Pal. Arthur's New Puppy tries to tell the story of how Pal came to be Arthur's puppy. It also tries to teach chi...more
Michelle Henry
This book by Marc Brown tells a story of Arthur, who gets a new puppy Pal. Pal is a "naughty puppy" and gets into a lot of trouble. Pal destroys the living room, is not potty trained, hides items behind rose bushes, and causes Arthur a lot of headaches. With diligent work and determination, Arthur finally proves that Pal is a good puppy by training him to lean different tricks. Arthur's family sees how much Pal has changed and decided to keep him in the house from then on.
Ashley
Book Title: Arthur's New Puppy
Description: Arthur gets a new puppy who is destructive and Arthur has to find a way to make him behave before he loses him.
Informational: In this story, Arthur has a puppy but has to learn how to train him so that he can keep him.
Teach: This story is wonderful for teaching children responsibility. It is an example that it takes a lot of work and effort to get to keep a puppy. It is also a way to make children brainstorm and connect to a story.
CCSS: This book can...more
Rosa Cline
In this book, Arthur has gotten his new puppy Pal. He and his family along with Pal has to adjust to training the puppy. Him getting into stuff and damaging stuff as all puppies do. But Arthur's love for Pal endures to the end. This book helps teach children a pet isn't all just fluffy and cute it's a lot of hard HARD work and dedication.
Mandy Blackburn
So i always thought I liked Arthur, I enjoyed the cartoon on PBS and I have always recommended his books to elementary school students that I have worked with and I probably still. I always thought D.W., Arthur's younger sister was annoying and a bit of a brat, but after reading this book I have to question Marc Brown's thinking in having a character like that and parents who allow their child to be so disrespectful to not only her older brother, but her paretns and many other individuals in the...more
Holly Chapman
In this book, Arthur has to train his new puppy Pal. Pal is a real handful and causes a lot of trouble and a big mess. Arthur is responsible for training Pal and if he doesn't start to listen Pal will have to live in the garage. Arthur gets a puppy training book to train Pal and soon Pal starts to behave. Not all students are going to be able to relate to having a pet making a big mess or having to train a new pet. But, all students will probably be able to relate to making a big mess and having...more
Jeremiah
Apr 26, 2014 Jeremiah marked it as to-read
Destiny Dawn Long
I have realized that while the Arthur cartoons on PBS are pretty fun, in terms of books, Marc Brown's writing is terrible. They are so tedious to read! So, of course, my daughter loves them.

This one is about Arthur trying to train his new puppy not to tear apart the house. Unsurprisingly, he succeeds by the end, despite his parents not offering any guidance. Meanwhile, his little sister makes lots of snarky remarks.

So, yeah, typical Arthur story line.
Cindy
Pal is probably the very first puppy I ever loved.
I don't like that they started making him and Kate talk on the Arthur show now...

During elementary school I was on a mission to read every Arthur book I could get my hands on.

I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Amy Prigmore
I have always enjoyed reading Arthur books. I think this particular book is a good book to teach kids about responsibility, especially the responsibility of having a pet. Sometimes children do not understand how big of a responsibility having a pet is so this book can be a good tool for teaching how important responsibility is. It is also a good book to show how much hard work having a pet could be.
Kayla Quinn
Arthur gets a new puppy that needs to be trained. he really wanted to keep the puppy so he did everything he could. The puppy finally had listened to Arthur and was a joy to have in the family. This book would be essential for my classroom because the children can learn what it takes to be responsible. They can also interact with other students by sharing about their pets.
Angela Rowland
This book is about Arthur, his family and friends; and what happens when Arthur gets a new puppy. Although the thing is adorable the situation becomes stressful when Arthur has to take care of a new puppy. I loved this book as a kid and again as an adult. It tells about real life situations that children can relate to and learn from.
Sophia Martin
Arthur gets a new puppy, Pal. But Pal is a destructive new puppy. He tears up everyone's things and urinates on the floors. Pal also whines at night keeping everyone up. Just when everyone had given up on Pal and was ready to move him outside, Arthur began to try really hard to train him. This book shows discipline and responsibility.
Amy
Arthur gets a new puppy he names Pal. Arthur learns the hard way how much work a new puppy really entails. The kids loved the scenes with pee and poop, but I loved the message: just because something takes a little effort doesn't mean it should be abandoned. A sweet story about a first pet.
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
Dolly
Jan 03, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets
Our girls enjoy the "Arthur" series of books and this book came with an audiocassette (yes, my car still has a tape player!) that they enjoyed listening to a couple of times while riding in the car. It's a fairly standard Arthur story, and they loved the cute little puppy.
Kelly
Read for my Children's Literature class. Great book to show show kids what realistically happens when you bring home a new puppy. I used it as a read aloud for 1st grade during the week they were learning about pets and taking care of them. It fit perfectly.
Lauren
This book is great to use with students because Arthur is a common character in a series. This book highlights when Arthur gets his first new puppy. This is a good book to use with students because a lot of students can connect with what Arthur is going through.
Rowe Northwestern
I liked the book because Arthur's new puppy was so cute.My favrite part of the book was when arthur's new saw the leash he would aways run away and hide.The book is realistic fiction.I did not like the book alot because it was to easy.-alondra
Megan Zimmerman
The adventures of Arthur and his new puppy, who seems to be causing only trouble. This book would be great for teaching responsibility and love. Arthur loves this new puppy, but he has to learn to be responsible and to take care of him.
Katie Roberts
Arthur is beyond excited when he gets to bring home his new puppy, Pal. But he is in for a surprise when he sees just how wild and energetic Pal is. Luckily, he has some ideas ready to use in order to train him.
Heather
20 months - picked up a perfect hardcover first edition copy of this book at the Thrift store for $1 AND it was signed. The story's not bad either, it's about a dog, what's not to love?
Liz Todd
Problem/Solution.. Pal chews things up and makes a mess, Arthur trains him and Pal gets better.

Infer: How did Arthur feel when he heard that other naughty puppies get sent away?
Laneika Cason
PB30. This was a good book for children who are getting a new pet.It teaches them to be responsible for there pet. The pictures were nicely detailed and went well with the text.
Natalie
Used this book in a Marc Brown author study. Authro finally obtains a pet and now he has to raise his pet. Very cute and entertaining story. My 2nd graders loved it.
Miri
May 10, 2014 Miri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arthur
Arthur's new puppy is destroying the house, peeing on the floor and causing trouble all over! Can Arthur get his puppy trained before his parents get fed up!
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Clifford The Firehouse Dog
  • Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)
  • Franklin Is Bossy
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Curious George Makes Pancakes
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)