Start by marking “A Fair Bear Share” as Want to Read:
A Fair Bear Share

A Fair Bear Share (MathStart Level 2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Blue Ribbon Blueberry Pie. If the bear cubs gather enough nuts, seeds and blueberries, Mama Bear has agreed to make her special, lip-smacking-good pie.

Each time they fill their baskets, the cubs count berries, seeds and nuts by putting them in groups of tens and ones to see if they have enough for pie.

Everyday activities such as sharing a meal, sorting socks and getting re
Published December 17th 1997 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about A Fair Bear Share, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fair Bear Share

Heather
We all really enjoyed this book. It teaches sorting by groups of 10 and 1 and then regrouping as well. It ALSO teaches the importance of working together and doing your 'fair share' of the work. Sort of like the Little Red Hen.

The story was fun, the pictures were excellent in illustrating the math concepts and I loved the moral. My kids asked if they could practice grouping things around the house after reading it. Um, okay. Love the math books that inspire!

Best used when you're learning place v
Julia B
Jun 24, 2011 Julia B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-books
This book is great for 1st and 2nd grade concepts of regrouping in addition. It would also be useful in 3rd grade as a hands-on review of how to regroup. I would use the book as a ReadAloud and then students would work in groups or partners to count out items in bags at their tables. Then the students would practice regrouping as described in the book (putting items into groups of 10 and then creating more groups of 10 with the left-overs). This book could also serve well as a remedial center fo ...more
Joe
Feb 11, 2011 Joe rated it liked it
Great book to use when discussing the reality of regrouping when adding numbers. Helps reinforce ideas of place value. Also hits upon community building and teamwork as everybody needs to do their "fair share"...great way to add literacy to math.
Vanessa Peavy
Feb 23, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it it was ok
Shelves: ece-3601, math
Four bear cubs collect ingredients for a blueberry pie, counting and recounting them as their supply grows.
This book reminds me of baking muffins with me children. Instead of picking them we'll go to the farmers market where they can choose their fruit and then we'll go home and bake blueberry muffins, banana muffins, and cranberry muffins.
To use this book as an activity, I would:
I would have the students retell the story and as a class keep track of how many nuts, berries, and seeds the cubs ha
Samantha Hagler
Apr 10, 2013 Samantha Hagler rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This story involves four bear cubs going out and gathering diffrent ingredients to make Mama Bear's blueberry pie. As they gather the ingredietns they begin placing them into groups and counting the items by using tens and ones. This book can be used to introduce a lesson on grouping and place value. The book shows grouping diagrams to where the students can visually see how the bears equally grouped their items and counted them and showed their place values. An extension activity that I could d ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
I read this to children who were learning about regrouping and felt that it was a little more than they could comprehend, however, I could see this as an excellent book to reinforce the concept once it has been mastered or pretty close to being mastered. I liked that the book also incorporated doing your fair share.
Amie Anderson
Oct 01, 2013 Amie Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: eng261
A Fair Bear Share is a cute picture book about four bear siblings who want their mother to make blueberry pie, so she asks them to help her pick ingredients for the pie. The three oldest siblings do this diligently, but the youngest sister gets easily distracted and doesn't pick her share of ingredients. The book also teaches kids math, as they group the ingredients they pick into 10's to count them more easily. The genre would be math/numbers and an obvious theme would be the importance of help ...more
Amber Lewis
Apr 13, 2013 Amber Lewis rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
This was a cute story about four cubs whose mother needed them to go out and gather the ingredients necessary for her to make her delicious blueberry pie. The bears gather the ingredients and place them in piles of tens and ones as they count. When they add their totals together, the bears realize there are times when they can make additional groups of tens. This story is a nice way to help children practice with regrouping as well as place value. As you read the story, children can add the berr ...more
Dolly
Oct 07, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun story in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. We like these books; they incorporate math principles into the story and show how math is fun and necessary for everyday life.

This book depicts a fun way to practice adding larger numbers. The tale is entertaining and the illustrations are colorful The math is simple, and the story provides enough repetition and practice to allow children to master the concept. Our oldest read this book aloud to me today during reading time
Jackie
For the littlest of readers and mathematicians, A Fair Bear Share teaches very simple concepts about adding and regrouping. Math introduced in a very relate-able story.
John Jones
Jul 08, 2012 John Jones rated it it was amazing
This was cool book. I love the was the literature connected Witt the strategies we want our students to receive in understanding place value. It focused on creating sets of 10 and recognizing remainders as ones. It asks connected with the teaching of addition. As the bears collected the berries, nuts, and seed they would then add their total to get a grand total. This book did an awesome job with demonstrating the meaning of place value. I would use this book to really show what place value mean ...more
Esther
Lucero Hernandez
The bears are making a pie. To make the pie they are using a recipe. They have collected berries and group them in groups of 10. This book will be useful for regrouping and place value. Students may also be encouraged to create a recipe (as a group, individually, with their parents, etc.) and present it to the class. As a class, the students can create a recipe and actually use it to make delicious snacks for the class.
Michelle
Mar 15, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, animals, math
Four little bears need to help momma collect ingredients for her blueberry pie, but one of the bears is not doing their fair share.
This book can be used to talk about regrouping. After each item is collected, it shows how the bears group ten together and count the remaining ones to get their totals. While reading this story, the teacher can give the students their own items to count and follow along with the story.
Katie O'toole
Jul 15, 2012 Katie O'toole rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
I would use place value mats with this book. We would pick a color of unifix cubes to represent an item in the book (brown unifix cubes to represent nuts, red unifix cubes to represent berries,) and stack number of unifix cubes according to number of food items in book. Once a grouping reached 10, the stack of unifix cubes would move to the tens side of the place value mat.
Japonika Finch
Nov 12, 2012 Japonika Finch rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, place-value
This book is a great read that discusses place value. The running theme is mathematical grouping with a family of bears. I love that there is also a moral to this story. I would use this book to explain the regrouping process in addition of 2 & 3 digit numbers because I've notice that student really struggle with this concept. It can also be helpful in explaining division.
Seth Lebaron
Nov 30, 2012 Seth Lebaron added it
Shelves: math
Great little story. The book can be used to help students learn to group objects together into groups of 10 some they can count fast and accurately. The lesson learned in the story is about counting objects, and not just numbers or tic marks. I would use this book along side of teaching grouping and regrouping.
Jennifer Borduin
This is a great storybook that teaches the importance of doing your share and the ease of counting by tens. I love the illustrations that show how the bears group the different nuts and berries by tens and what to do with what's leftover. I would definitely use this in the classroom.
Sade
Jul 17, 2012 Sade added it
This is a book made for students struggling with the concept of place value. The illustrations are great and the concept is taught well. I would definitely use this in the classroom as way to assist students who are really not grasping place value or as a way to introduce place value.
Attwa
Jul 05, 2012 Attwa rated it really liked it
This book is a great read. The theme is mathematical grouping with a family of bears. I love that there is also a moral to this story. I would use this book to explain the grouping process in addition of 2 & 3 digit numbers. It can also be helpful in explaining division.
Maleigha
Apr 24, 2013 Maleigha rated it it was amazing
Great for sharing. And for the older grades for division practice and such. This can be used as a read-aloud in a classroom, or even as a group activity. The performance task in the back of the book support students with their learning even further into details.
Katie Plumley
Mar 19, 2013 Katie Plumley rated it really liked it
~Great for division work. Mama Bear combines all ingredients and then divides the portions so that each bear gets the same amount
~Understanding that you must do the work to reap the benefits
~Community building read aloud, everyone must do their part!
~K-2
Christina Camp
Oct 04, 2012 Christina Camp rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is a great book for a first grade lesson. It is about regrouping. It is good for first grade because they are learning about grouping tens and ones and about counting by tens. This is also a good book because it shows that hard work pays off.
Amber Adams
Feb 22, 2013 Amber Adams rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This narrative tells about Four bear cubs who go out to collect ingredients for a blueberry pie. As they collect ingredients they recount and regroup the ingredients. This book can help my students better understand how to regroup and place values.
Gina Starling
Feb 08, 2012 Gina Starling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece3601, math
Everyday activities such as sharing a meal, sorting socks and getting ready for school can be part of learning math. This book has it all as the bears pick berries, and nuts for their pies. Grades PK-3 Fractions, addition
Denesha Allen
Dec 03, 2012 Denesha Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book helps with learning place value, division, and regrouping. I really like this book because of the story. I would use this book with first and second grade and follow up with engaging activities on sharing.
Tierra Garr
Apr 24, 2012 Tierra Garr rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on regrouping. I just read it for the first time, but plan on using it with my 2nd graders soon. It even gives you activities to work on in class and things the kids can do at home!
Elizabeth
Apr 22, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I used this book to address addition with multiple addends with a second grade class. They were engaged and this book helped to clarify any misunderstanding they had about addition with multiple addends.
Eugene Magee
I enjoyed this book. You can use it to teach the students about adding and regrouping numbers. You can also use it to teach students about personal responsibility.
Molly Darr
Apr 11, 2011 Molly Darr added it
Shelves: math
This book is great to use in the classroom when connecting literature with math. This short read a loud introduces the concept of regrouping in math.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 2 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Get Up and Go!
  • Elevator Magic (MathStart Level 2)
  • The Best Vacation Ever
  • Animals on Board
  • Super Sand Castle Saturday
  • Spunky Monkeys on Parade
  • Probably Pistachio (MathStart Level 2)
  • Let's Fly a Kite