Start by marking “Vögelein: Old Ghosts (Vögelein, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vögelein: Old Ghosts (Vögelein, #2)

Vögelein: Old Ghosts (Vögelein #2)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Though three hundred years have passed since Alexi's death, Vogelein finds herself still haunted by the unkept promise she made to her first Guardian. Now the clockwork faerie must confront her past with the help of Mason, an itinerant musician whose spirit bears a striking resemblance to the one she desperately wants to lay to rest. As she struggles to find peace for both ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Fiery Studios

To ask other readers questions about Vögelein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vögelein

Ian Wood

Leslie
If you pick up the second volume before the first, as I had, the introduction will reassure you that you’ll do just fine. It catches you up where needed and recommends reading the first for key references, but one might dive right in since the volume is in hand. This is true. Vögelein, the clockwork faerie, is dealing with old ghosts in this volume and the historical context is provided as well as her current situation. Jane Irwin settles the reader into the story and the immersion is quick.

Vöge
Melissa
I had the same problems with the art as the first volume (oddly drawn people who aren't always quite proportionate, weird correspondence and scale issues between characters with the backgrounds and to each other, and that horrible typed lettering). Also, I was pretty squicked by the fact that Irwin makes a tribute character out of her friend who had passed away that looks exactly like him, does exactly the same things that he did, and has the same personality... the only difference is that she m ...more
Gphatty
I love her art; I really like her storytelling. I'm afraid I'm a little biased in reviewing this book, as I recognize that while the story itself was slight, I still really enjoyed re-visiting the world of Vogelein.

The detail in Irwin's stories is impressive. There were references to places in Ennis (Ireland) that I've been to; historical touch-points for Romany/Gypsy culture; and lots of fine details in facial expressions, clothing; etc. I hope she continues to develop more stories.

Great graph
Amal El-Mohtar
I picked this up immediately afte #1 because I loved Vogelein's character and the friends she was making so much. This narrative had less urgency, and the threat felt a little anti-climactic in its resolution, but I have the feeling it's a dropped thread that will be picked up again elsewhere.

I think what I especially love about these books is that I was left smiling when I put them down. That hasn't happened in ages.
Yune
I found this less persuasive than the previous volume. When Vogelein confesses a need to know Romani customs, of course one of her friends volunteers:

"When I was a kid, my mom and I lived upstairs from this old woman who was Romani. We got to be pretty close. If she's still alive, she's probably living in the same apartment. We start driving now, we could be there by morning."
Ilana Waters
So good to get back to Vogelein and her friends--some old, some new. Love the character of Mason, who was crucial to the story. Sweet, devoted . . . sigh. What every guy should be like! Although I do wish the stakes had been raised a bit in this volume (they were quite high in the first one), it was still great fun to go off on another bittersweet adventure with our Vogelein.
Kirsten
This was still pretty good - but felt somewhat more self-indulgent than the first, and all the subplots didn't flow into each other as neatly as they could have.
Cindy
This was a short and sweet elegy for a young friend with some lovely drawings. Oh yes, and a clockwork faerie.
Cindywho
Sharon
Good. Sweet. A little fragmented, but the characters were pleasant. Reminded me a lot of Charles de Lint.
Melle
Jul 27, 2008 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: neo-pagan posers, wicca chicks, emo/goth preteens and teens
The storyline was all over the map, literally and figuratively. Pretty but forgettable.
Nfnt-robin
I really liked this. A lot of the tendencies of "first indie comic publication"
Kristi
Dec 11, 2007 Kristi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens, adults
Shelves: teen
if you like fairies, gypsies, hippie musicians, and graphic novels...
Nicole
Dec 24, 2007 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Not quite as good as the first, but still a fantastic read.
Kelly
story just kinda ended, well guess there is another one
Traci
AWESOME illustrations!
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1) Clockwork Game: The Illustrious Career of A Chess-Playing Automaton Old Canadian Cemeteries: Places of Memory He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #7) Sewerelf