Start by marking “Vögelein: Old Ghosts (Vögelein, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vögelein: Old Ghosts (Vögelein, #2)

Vögelein: Old Ghosts (Vögelein #2)

Though three hundred years have passed since Alexi's death, VOgelein finds herself still haunted by the unkept promise she made to her first Guardian. Now the clockwork faerie must confront her past with the help of Mason, an itinerant musician whose spirit bears a striking resemblance to the one she desperately wants to lay to rest. As she struggles to find peace for both ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Fiery Studios

To ask other readers questions about Vögelein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vögelein

Leslie
If you pick up the second volume before the first, as I had, the introduction will reassure you that you’ll do just fine. It catches you up where needed and recommends reading the first for key references, but one might dive right in since the volume is in hand. This is true. Vögelein, the clockwork faerie, is dealing with old ghosts in this volume and the historical context is provided as well as her current situation. Jane Irwin settles the reader into the story and the immersion is quick.

Vöge
Ian Wood
Nov 17, 2014 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Melissa
Apr 09, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok
I had the same problems with the art as the first volume (oddly drawn people who aren't always quite proportionate, weird correspondence and scale issues between characters with the backgrounds and to each other, and that horrible typed lettering). Also, I was pretty squicked by the fact that Irwin makes a tribute character out of her friend who had passed away that looks exactly like him, does exactly the same things that he did, and has the same personality... the only difference is that she m ...more
Gphatty
Mar 11, 2008 Gphatty rated it really liked it
I love her art; I really like her storytelling. I'm afraid I'm a little biased in reviewing this book, as I recognize that while the story itself was slight, I still really enjoyed re-visiting the world of Vogelein.

The detail in Irwin's stories is impressive. There were references to places in Ennis (Ireland) that I've been to; historical touch-points for Romany/Gypsy culture; and lots of fine details in facial expressions, clothing; etc. I hope she continues to develop more stories.

Great graph
Amal El-Mohtar
Jul 15, 2011 Amal El-Mohtar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up immediately afte #1 because I loved Vogelein's character and the friends she was making so much. This narrative had less urgency, and the threat felt a little anti-climactic in its resolution, but I have the feeling it's a dropped thread that will be picked up again elsewhere.

I think what I especially love about these books is that I was left smiling when I put them down. That hasn't happened in ages.
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Excellent second adventure for Vogelein as she struggles to find a way to memorialize her old Guardian, Alexi. Again, the endnotes about Rom culture are glorious and this features more than one Irish traditional music session with bios of the musicians at the back. How did it take me ten years to read these again?
Ilana Waters
Dec 24, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it really liked it
So good to get back to Vogelein and her friends--some old, some new. Love the character of Mason, who was crucial to the story. Sweet, devoted . . . sigh. What every guy should be like! Although I do wish the stakes had been raised a bit in this volume (they were quite high in the first one), it was still great fun to go off on another bittersweet adventure with our Vogelein.
Yune
I found this less persuasive than the previous volume. When Vogelein confesses a need to know Romani customs, of course one of her friends volunteers:

"When I was a kid, my mom and I lived upstairs from this old woman who was Romani. We got to be pretty close. If she's still alive, she's probably living in the same apartment. We start driving now, we could be there by morning."
()AARON()
it was really good. it was well drawn, well written, and overall, a great book. apparently, it is the second book in a series, so i did not read the first on accident, and i will do that and review it.
Kirsten
Jun 07, 2009 Kirsten rated it liked it
This was still pretty good - but felt somewhat more self-indulgent than the first, and all the subplots didn't flow into each other as neatly as they could have.
Nfnt-robin
Dec 17, 2007 Nfnt-robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: ggnft
I really liked this. A lot of the tendencies of "first indie comic publication"
Traci
Feb 11, 2009 Traci rated it really liked it
AWESOME illustrations!
Jenny Clark
Nov 17, 2016 Jenny Clark rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series, it is quite imaginative. The concept is cool, a small clockwork fairy. I liked the timid neighbor, she was an interesting character.
Nicole
Dec 24, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Not quite as good as the first, but still a fantastic read.
Cindywho
May 15, 2008 Cindywho rated it really liked it
This was a short and sweet elegy for a young friend with some lovely drawings. Oh yes, and a clockwork faerie.
Sharon
Jan 23, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Good. Sweet. A little fragmented, but the characters were pleasant. Reminded me a lot of Charles de Lint.
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2008
Nick Rennis
Nick Rennis rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2008
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2017
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Sandy D.
Sandy D. rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Anne rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Vögelein (2 books)
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)