Mugabe: Power, Plunder, and the Struggle for Zimbabwe's Future

Mugabe: Power, Plunder, and the Struggle for Zimbabwe's Future

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Robert Mugabe came to power in Zimbabwe in 1980 after a long civil war in Rhodesia. The white minority government had become an international outcast in refusing to give in to the inevitability of black majority rule. Finally the defiant white prime minister Ian Smith was forced to step down and Mugabe was elected president. Initially he promised reconciliation between whi...more
Published September 25th 2007 by PublicAffairs (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mugabe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mugabe

Mark Desrosiers
I'll admit it: I used to like Mugabe. Back in the 80s, he was one of the loudest and most articulate African leaders busting the balls of South African apartheid, and in the dewy idealism of my youth I had a knee-jerk fondness for humorless straight-edge Catholic Marxists.

But after reading this book, I'm convinced Mugabe is the absolute worst socialist head of state ever. Not in terms of body count of course (Stalin's got that record down), but in his ability to efficiently marshal the sloppies...more
Brian
Incredibly biased. Not to downplay Mugabe's crimes, but the book posits him as coming from nowhere, as opposed to the hideous white racism of British colonialism or the homegrown variety in Rhodesia.
Trey
A great book about a horrible man. He does a good job portraying the excitement around Mugabe's election as well as the heart break when Mugabe turned out to be a feckless thug.
Michael Connolly
Robert Mugabe received his early education from Jesuits. Mugabe studied Marxism at Fort Hare University College in South Africa in 1949-1952. He was also exposed to Marxism when he visited Ghana in the late 1950s. Originally, he planned to become a teacher.
But he became politicized upon his return to Rhodesia in 1960. Mugabe was one of the leaders of a long military struggle against white rule. The white Rhodesian Front leader, Ian Smith, put Robert Mugabe in prison in 1964. Mugabe spent eleven...more
Michalyn
Apr 16, 2008 Michalyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in Africa, current events, development
Shelves: non-fiction, 2008
I knew very little about Zimbabwe until recently and then it was as the country experiencing one of the highest recorded inflation rates in the world (estimates are at about 130,000%). I wanted to know what kind of government would so recklessly impoverish its people and I found my answer in Mugabe: Power, Plunder, and the Struggle for Zimbabwe's Future.

Meredith traces Zimbabwe's struggle for independence and with it, the rise of Robert Mugabe. How a man once viewed as a visionary and liberator...more
Larry
God bless Africa, guard her Children, guide her Rulers & give her peace.

The words to the prayer appear to have fallen on deaf ears before & after independence in Zimbabwe. Thank God Hitler didn't have a role model like Mugabe in the late 20s.

Meredith portrays a well educated man broken by the pre-independence system into wanting revenge. He's main aim to gain the ballot at the barrel of a gun. This never happened with the Lancaster House accord. The rest is history I guess.

I enjoyed t...more
Debra J.
Gives an historical account of what happened since the victory of Robert Mugabe and ZANU, although it's short on the analysis of why things happened as they did. As someone who cheered the vistory at the time, it provided one piece to my understanding of what when wrong.
Silvia Iskandar
His name was on the news all the time that I decided I wanted to know who he is. This book is written dryly, thus, unbiased, of Mugabe, the ruthless despot. It gives you full information how he turned from a promising leader to a paranoid dictator.
Andrew
Jan 02, 2008 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone Interested in African History or Politics
This book is a great look at what Robert Mugabe has done to the once beautiful Zimbabwe. It follows his rise to power, and then details quite well what he did to keep that power, all at the expense of his people and his country.
Kenghis Khan
Easily one of the more compelling political biographies I've read in a long time. I think a few more on how Mugabe himself degenerated from an idealistic revolutionary to the current clown would have been nice.
Nathan Kavumbura
A concise, well narrated history of modern day Zimbabwe unfortunately it just stops short of when things really got interesting. Maybe this would be a good place to start for the sequel.
Cyanne
Jul 06, 2008 Cyanne marked it as to-read
Martin Meredith is great. This is a good one for getting an intro to Zim. Well researched and an easy and enjoyable read.
Amanda Coton
I really enjoyed this as I didnt know anything about this man before I visited Zimbabwe. He's an odd but intelligent guy.
Linsea Waugh
Never has a book manifested physical anger in me as much as this book did.
Bradley Thomas
Bradley Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Johan
Johan added it
Sep 07, 2014
Alison
Alison added it
Sep 03, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Haji
Haji marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sarah Deed
Sarah Deed marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nduta
Nduta marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Fate of Africa: A History of Fifty Years of Independence Diamonds, Gold, and War: The Making of South Africa Born in Africa: The Quest for the Origins of Human Life Nelson Mandela: A Biography Our Votes, Our Guns: Robert Mugabe and the Tragedy of Zimbabwe