Start by marking “8: a Memoir” as Want to Read:
8: a Memoir

8: a Memoir

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The Mania of Early Motherhood, the intimacy of marriage, and the quest for healing are raw materials from which critically acclaimed writer Amy Fusselman has wrought her latest work--a daring exploration of the perversities of time. The same idiosyncratic and inimitable form Fusselman created in the astonishingly original The Pharmacist's Mate--short, staccato paragraphs, ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Counterpoint Press

To ask other readers questions about 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 8

Julie Franki
I love Amy Fusselman. Do I want to marry her? Maybe. Maybe not. I do want to read everything she ever writes. I love her voice, which is the voice in my head if it were braver, wiser, and funnier. Which is to say: I relate to whatever she is doing or thinking about, which is usually the mundane task of getting through life as a mother, wife and artist. These are all high-difficulty when performed alone, but of course they overlap, messily. For example one cannot read novels, she points out, whil ...more
Jul 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pri
Shelves: stories, biography
I loved this quirky book. A random library find, I took it with me today and ended up starting & finishing it. Not only is it not a long book, it's a short read. The author gives short narrative stories on parts of her life ranging from childhood to adulthood, her relationship with her mother, with her therapists, and with her healers.

The author hooked me right away with her descriptions on time. From the first line, "Events in time are not -- boom -- over. they have tentacles, and they wra
Kate
I devoured this book like I would a package of Double Stuff Oreos. I might eat too many before I look up to see if anyone noticed and then forget what I was doing and go back for more.

That is a crappy review for this book.

I am glad that I bought this short little book so that I can pick it up and play page roulette whenever I want.

I will never attempt to describe this book to anyone as words will fail me.

If you read it and hate it, don't tell me. If you love it, let's be best friends.
Pia
Jul 25, 2007 Pia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I'd follow Amy Fusselman anywhere, through anything. She wrote an amazing essay cutdown from this book for the NYT Magazine a while back - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/mag...
Christina G
A tapestry of a memoir weaving together her thoughts on monster trucks, surviving sexual abuse, celebrity sightings, figure skating, sleep training, craniosacral therapy, energy healing, and motherhood. At first it felt a little contrived, but then I started stumbling upon passages that I really loved. I loved the scene of sleep training her oldest boy, I love the phrasing "I had a pedophile," I loved her description of her relationship to her body. Interesting and quick read.
Powells.com
I am not usually interested in memoirs. They normally tend towards narcissism and inflated self-importance; however, Amy Fusselman's was written with careful attention to the beautiful, collective experiences of which life is composed. She also touches on a childhood trauma that she has since overcome (though still affects her), yet it is never the focal point of the memoir. Rather, it serves to emphasize universal feelings and fears we all have realized at some point. She also integrates themes ...more
Owen
i loved this. her brain works in a way that i can really understand. it reminds me a little of miranda july's brain (as seen through her short stories and her audio recordings) in that it radically free associates and has an awesome command of metaphor and oddness.

it feels a bit like reading a blog, but that doesn't take away from the reading experience. the new form is actually kind of nice.

from monster trucks to the beastie boys to surviving sexual abuse, she shows you a whole new world in the
Venessa
quite interesting: written as little vignettes, Fusselman confronts many topics, mostly revolving around her getting over the trauma of having a pedophile when she was younger. She calls him just that: "My Pedophile." She also writes about an encounter with Adam H from the Beastie Boys, her moments with her sons....her adventures learning how to ride a motorcycle. I liked her technique, choppy paragraphs, which loosely linked everything but also served to keep them separate when need be, as well ...more
Jamie Felton
This is one of the best biographies I have ever read. Though, admittedly, I am not a biography fan. It is written as a series of vignettes that tie together a myriad of themes including but not exclusively, abuse, childhood, motorcycles and how they symbolize freedom and renewal, family, etc etc. She takes really small, insignificant moments or experiences, blows them up, and then examines what they really mean or how really lovely life is if you can look at those things in a critical way.
Alyson
Feb 25, 2008 Alyson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alyson by: Review in Portland Mercury
I read this book here and there, and there's parts of it where you wonder where she's going, but other parts where you must look up from the book and out the window for a minute just to let that overwhelming, glorious feeling of understanding and wonder pour over you. This also happens to me with some of Borges' short stories.
Meghan
A series of prose poems in loosely related paragraphs. Covers the idea of time, memory, Beastie Boys, motorcycles, motherhood, energy healing, childhood abuse. Fusselman is affiliated with McSweeney's, I loved her other book The Pharmacist's Mate, which is similar but more centered on the death of her father.
Kyla
A book length essay, the "new" non-fiction, a muse on life and motorcycles and children - well-written but I'm not sure it's "book worthy", without some added striking design or illustrations or something. Like a real-life zine that made it to hardcover which isn't bad - just mysterious.
Brian
Amy Fusselman wanted to include the lyrics to a Beastie Boys song in this memoir but the publisher wouldn't pay the permissions fee. Instead, she paraphrases the lyrics to the entire song. This is an exemplary moment in a brilliant book.
Alan
Possibly the weirdest memoir I've read recently. She somehow ties monster trucks, motorcycles, craniosacral therapy, pedophiles, the Beastie Boys and ice skating into one cohesive tale about raising kids and being a kid. I dig it.
Hannah
A really lovely memoir about energy healing and touch and time and motorcycle riding and being a parent but overall about joy, and possibility. It's also one of the most beautifully designed books I've ever seen.
Cherie
A Another gem from Amy Fusselman; she deals with being molested as a child by her babysitter, learning how to ride a motorcycle, and life. I love her simple and fantastic way of writing; highly enjoyable.
Nancy
It's like inhaling the scent of mud in spring. Sweet (not too sweet), real, and a comfort because it reminds you of what you forgot you knew -- and adds to that the optimism you didn't have yet.
Eoin
4.4 Another impossible book in Fusselman's indescribable style. I am not equipped to review this book beyond recommending it universally. Worth it for the discussion of Gravedigger.
Carrie
hmm. i liked it. read it in one day. parts of it i loved. parts of it warranted skimming. i expected more from the last page. after pharmacist's mate, i expected more.
Beth
Couple of sections didn't do much for me but the bottom of p. 62 to the bottom of page 63 is like wow, oh wow, bingo, worth the whole book right there.
Julian
short but sweet, very meandering memoir about being a mom, non-traditional healing/medicine, child abuse, and learning to ride a motorcycle.
Jeffrey
A great little memoir, I love the form of short paragraphs in literature. Like a collection of short prose poems. Fusselman is thoughtful and funny.
Kori
a touch self-indulgent (okay, i know it's a memoir, but really), but generally of interest, and a quick read at that.
Lori
I love her style...almost like we are talking...or I should say she is talking to me and I am listening
Rosie
Apr 12, 2008 Rosie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rosie by: found it randomly in the Lancaster Library
After I read it I told a friend: I think this is the kind of book I would write if I wrote a book.
Anne Kadet
Animal? Vegetable? Breakfast? Lunch? Linner? WHAT?
Rachel  Cassandra
incredible memoir. one of my favorite books.
Biba
Biba marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Karyl Anne
Karyl Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Famous Fathers and Other Stories
  • Vanishing Point: Not a Memoir
  • Normally Special
  • Sylvia
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • Shopping in Jail: Ideas, Essays and Stories for an Increasingly Real Twenty-First Century
  • Das Muschelessen
  • The Party after You Left
  • Spiral Jetta: A Road Trip through the Land Art of the American West
  • Hunger
  • Why Did I Ever
The Pharmacist's Mate Savage Park: A Meditation on Play, Space, and Risk for Americans Who Are Nervous, Distracted, and Afraid to Die The Pharmacist's Mate and 8 As Smart as We Are