Start by marking “Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs” as Want to Read:
Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs

Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  430 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The show that has taught over 70 million of us to count is turning 30! To help celebrate this milestone, Hyperion presents the ultimate insider's tribute to "Sesame Street"--a one-of-a-kind volume that lets readers relive all the classic memories, games shows, animation, and parodies through actual scripts, rare photos, celebrity flashbacks, and hilarious anecdotes. 400 co ...more
Published November 16th 1998 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Sesame Street Unpaved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sesame Street Unpaved

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffThe Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall SmithCannery Row by John SteinbeckThe Cater Street Hangman by Anne PerryBrick Lane by Monica Ali
City Streets
145th out of 212 books — 43 voters
The President Is a Sick Man by Matthew AlgeoGrover Takes Care Of Baby by Emily ThompsonSesame Street Unpaved by David BorgenichtThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Grover
3rd out of 4 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Mallory
Jun 29, 2009 Mallory rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the show who like coffee table books
Recommended to Mallory by: the guy at B&N, Amazon.com
I got this book after I read Street Gang because I'd wanted more info about the show than the creators, and felt a little disappointed by Street Gang's behind-the-scenes focus. I really wanted a book where the show itself--episodes, characters, songs--was front and center. I saw this suggested on Amazon and ordered it. It's out of print. I was so excited when it came, but when I opened the package, this is basically a coffee table book. There are a few factoids, some song lyric and some cute pic ...more
Lindsay
This book is totally awesome. Good for nostalgic moments, but fascinating to consider the depth of the show's educational impact.
Marcia
Sep 02, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing
What's not to love about going to the "street"? I think we all can say that we wanted to live here even if only in our imaginations...one of the best children's shows of all times..next to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood of course.

I bought this when if first came out and have read it many times since then...I even let my son look through it with me...he loves watching it on PBS when a have a day off or a snow day (I even secretly like watching it with him). Once I started getting to old to watch it, I
Doree Burt
Aug 11, 2011 Doree Burt rated it it was amazing
This was such a delight to read. It's written for grown-ups, but I don't know if it's meant to make grown-ups long to live on Sesame Street. I must admit that is the desire it brought out in me. When my kids were little we watched Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street and little else. So I was already a fan. But reading about the progressive principles behind the characters and concepts was inspiring to me. The brains and hearts responsible for this program are absolute heroes in my book! I chuckled a fe ...more
Ella
This book was OK; when it said in the title that it was 'unpaved', I was ever hopeful that there would be more stuff about behind the scenes. However, the stuff that was mentioned was OK and the excerpts of script were great.
Emily Von pfahl
Mar 07, 2016 Emily Von pfahl rated it really liked it
Having grown up with Sesame Street this book was a delight to read. I learned so much about the origins of the show and the performers, including that Carroll Spinney is man. He also has an autobiography that I have been searching for but haven't found yet. He intrigues me because he does the sweet innocent Big Bird AND the curmudgeon Oscar the Grouch. A must read for fans of the show, or parents with kids who are fans of the show.
Abby
Nov 04, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: PBS
Published in 1998, this looks back at the first 30 years of Sesame Street and the cast and crew. So fun, like a bite of childhood, I only wish it had an update for the last 15 years!
Stephanie
Apr 22, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's not a history but rather a collection of songs, skits, photos and profiles on muppets, the human characters and muppeteers. It has a bunch of cool trivia and also a section on how muppets are made. The skits and character profiles brought back fond memories...I had forgotten about Don Music! (The muppet who sat at the piano composing songs and would bang his head on the piano out of frustration when he couldn't get the right tune. He was later cut from the show after some ...more
Jamie Sigal
Jul 29, 2011 Jamie Sigal rated it it was amazing
A great and amazing walk down memory lane and tons of fun to read and sing out loud while you go. If you were ever a kid then this book is for you. And if you ever weren't a kid then I don't think I want you reading this review or having anything else to do with me, unless of course you're from Ork or that new Brad Pitt movie, though I'd prefer it if you were from Ork because Mork was cool. In fact, they should come out with a book called 'Mork and Mindy: Unhatched' or something like that becaus ...more
Bree
Oct 05, 2010 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was published as a 30th anniversary tribute to the inconic educational children's show, Sesame Street. The book itself is done in the style of those annual Guinness Book of World Records - a photo book of Sesame Street trivia and nostalgia, with an interspersing of the educational and historical implications of the show.

Not something you'd read all the way through, but a fun "yearbook" style of nostalgia, great to sample when you have kids enjoying their stay on Sesame Street.

I pulled
Bill
Oct 08, 2007 Bill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tv-and-movies
Pretty much everything you could ever want and/or need to know about Sesame Street (the good years, just before Elmo, Zoe, Baby Bear, and their other little thugs completely took over) in one handy volume - the show's pre-history and beginnings, character sketches, profiles on the people and puppets, scripts of famous moments (even just reading the script from when they talk about Mr. Hooper's death makes me cry!), and even a look at some long-forgotten characters (I still say Roosevelt Franklin ...more
May 05, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
This was definitely an improvement over the 1st Sesame Street book I read, though many of the anecdotes were the same from each. There was also way too much of the actual scripts from the shows in here. I guess what I really wanted was a tell-all book where we could find out what Maria really thought about Luis, but I don't think that book exists with any credibility yet. I really loved that it showed the puppeteers actually working the Muppets, which I've been dying to see. I can now say I've l ...more
Micah
Oct 07, 2013 Micah rated it really liked it
I've had this book for ages, and I absolutely adore it. The illustrations and photographs are gorgeous, and the jokes and scripts amusing as ever, even though it's now been all but trumped by Sesame Street A Celebration 40 Years of Life on the Street With DVD and my copy is now falling to pieces.
Monica
Aug 16, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when I was 16 years old. This is one of my favorite books, if you grew up watching sesame street every day like I did.....afraid to miss your favorite characters when you had to use the bathroom so bad you couldn't stand it...yep, that was me.....this book tells south about the characters. New, and old. This book brings back a lot of fond memories for me. And yes, I still own the book and still read it from time to time:)
C
Jun 11, 2014 C rated it it was amazing
Fun facts! Only problem is sometimes I felt like I had ADD because of how the pages were set up. One page had a dark background with dark print. Tough.
Karetchko
I once had a very funny conversation about this book. My friend Shawn and I hadn't seen each other in a while, and somehow we got talking about Sesame Street. I went, "Oh, there's this book! It's great! I'm wondering if you've heard of it!" and pulled it off the bookshelf. He was all, "come on, for me, this is like going, "Oh, there's this newspaper, maybe you've heard of it, The New York Times?"
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Sesame Street
My nephew had a copy of this book and when I went over to my sister's house, I would spend as much time reading it as I could. I was very pleased when my sister a gave me my own copy for my birthday.

The color photos are fabulous and I really like all the behind the scenes gossip and tidbits of information.

Anyone who is now or who has ever been fascintated by Sesame Street needs this book.
Al
Feb 17, 2009 Al rated it it was amazing
I was born in '71, I love Sesame St, what else can I say?? I'll say this!- enjoyed learning about the charachters, how they were developed, how they grew and changed, why certain charachters were added or removed. SS really tried hard to stay ahead of the times and promote empowerment to children, and especially inner-city children and girls. Go Sesame St!
Tiff
Apr 28, 2016 Tiff rated it really liked it
I found it interesting that certain characters had to be removed as times went on because of political correctness. I had forgot that for years no one seen snuffy and they thought big bird was making him up. I liked reading about Snuffy, grover and the count. It was neat to see where the ideas came from.
Christy
Jun 28, 2009 Christy rated it it was amazing
I loved this and my kids did, too!

Easy to pick up and put down - it's not a novel, but a lot of snips, pics and paragraphs. I love Sesame Street - probably more than the average parent - and always have. It was great to read a bit more into the background of the best show for kids (and grown-ups, too)!
Benjamin
May 13, 2010 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Re-live your childhood days of watching Sesame Street with this delightful book about the people and muppets who made it such a magical place. Equal parts biography, reminiscences, and favorite skits from the show. I wish there was a little more "meat" to it, but was definitely a trip down memory lane.
Melanie
Oct 12, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
A bit PC. Blurby and heavily illustrated. Not big blocks of text but still a worthwhile read. Totally glossed over issues like the early deaths of many of the contributors (Richard Hunt, Jon Stone, Joe Raposo, etc) and what actually happened to Northern Calloway.
Jesse
Oct 16, 2008 Jesse rated it it was amazing
come on you know you watched the street. this is such a great behind the scenes guide, and brings back those scenes and characters you forgot about or wondered what ever happened to
Faith
Jan 05, 2009 Faith rated it it was amazing
does nerdiness get any better than this? a full book of trivia, lyrics, character profiles and skit scripts from everyone's favorite street! yeah perpetual childhood!
Erin O.
Jul 08, 2011 Erin O. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Anyone who loves Sesame Street (or just a casual fan) will LOVE this book! Stories, illustrations, a detailed scrapbook of this great phenomenon.
P
Sep 05, 2012 P rated it it was amazing
Great Sesame Street nostalgia for Generation Xers who grew up watching the classic sketches. Good emphasis on the "Pre-Elmo" years!
Maddie
Sep 09, 2008 Maddie rated it it was amazing
I had this book when I was a kid and I LOVED it. Has scripts, songs, and sooooooooo much more from the show in it. Very cool!
Dec 04, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Sesame Street was such an awesome part of my childhood. Who didn't want to live there? I know I did. Probably still do. ;)
Christina
Jun 03, 2007 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: before-2003, own
Being a Sesame Street fan growing up I was excited to see the ins and outs of the series. Highly recommended it to anyone!
Anna Meining
Jun 17, 2013 Anna Meining rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I love Sesame Street and this book is perfect for anyone who wants to find the backstage secrets and scripts.five stars for sure
  • Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street
  • Jim Henson: The Works: The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
  • Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • No Strings Attached: The Inside Story of Jim Henson's Creature Shop
  • Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal
  • It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams: Inspiration for Living Life Outside the Lines
  • Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art
  • Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets
  • Ace of Cakes: Inside the World of Charm City Cakes
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future