Start by marking “Summer of Fear” as Want to Read:
Summer of Fear

Summer of Fear

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When reporter/crime writer Russell Monroe finds his former lover brutally slain in an apparently ritual style, he suspects a connection to other recent murders in the county. Somehow, the case never appears on the police blotter - although Russell saw his former colleague, homicide chief Marty Parish, leaving the scene of the crime - and soon all evidence of the death disa ...more
Published June 15th 1994 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Fear

Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainOliver Twist by Charles DickensMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Gilmore Girls: Season 2
45th out of 54 books — 20 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Winter's Tale by William ShakespeareUncle Fred in the Springtime by P.G. WodehouseSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Four Seasons
144th out of 228 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

David Carr
I missed this when it came out in 1993, at a time when the serial killer novel was fresh and satisfying to a good boy like me -- as well as a great lesson in manners. And as a product of its time all the basic elements are here, probably more than needed. In fact, it is an overstuffed work, and one star less in quality than Parker's best work, like Silent Joe, Red Light, and Black Water. (However, it is not as preposterous as his most recent books in the Charlie Hood series, as that is a difficu ...more
Jill
I've been foraging around for Jefferson Parker books ever since I read California Girl, Silent Joe and The Fallen. After discovering and devouring those 3 novels, I felt I'd stumbled onto a not so well known writer of excellent thriller/mystery books, and yippee - he's written so many of them!

And admittedly, Summer of Fear was written before those 3 excellent novels, so perhaps the author was still finding his feet when writing Summer of Fear. All the ingredients are there -- ex-cop turned write
Valerie
I have been trying to read the books I have missed by this author, T. Jefferson Parker, since I enjoy his writing immensely. This particular novel has a complicated plot, a lot of action, interesting characters and also philosophical points to ponder.

It takes place in Orange County, CA, mostly in Laguna Beach, and the time span covers the summer months in a year sometime in the 1990s. At this particular point in time, the area is being plagued by a series of horrific murders which the law enforc
Debbie
this was vacation reading ...it was ok but I just felt there wasn't one believable character in the story and that the story itself was just over the top. Honestly, Marty doesn't go to jail for what he does? And Russ is constantly having his own pity party - don't get me wrong - what's going on with is wife is horrible but why is that even in the story- He could be a happily married guy and that plot wouldn't change - he could be single and only the very end would need adjustment.

and the dialog
Joyce
This was different from Parker's other novels that I've read. Although it is a mystery it is much more metaphysical than the usual in the genre. Characters are complex. The plot is well defined and has many twists and turns. It is not a quick read, but the reader will stay up late trying to learn what happens next.
David
I remember seeing this book on my mother's bookshelf when I was growing up, so when I stumbled across it in the library, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I was vaguely aware with T. Jefferson Parker as an author, but I'd never read any of his books. I must say that, as an introduction, Summer of Fear is a really quite good. If the rest of his books are as well-written as this, I'm very interested in reading more of his work.

Summer of Fear reads more like a thriller than a mystery, but the mystery
Kelly
This was my first book by Parker, and I was impressed enough that I will definitely be reading more of him. He has several that I can't wait to get my hands on!

Summer of Fear - If I had known beforehand that the main character's wife had terminal brain cancer, I never would have picked this book up; I typically avoid reading anything to do with scary diseases at all costs. I'm really glad that I gave the book a chance, though. Russ's undying love for his wife was a beautiful thing (definitely c
Kelly
I got this book by accident, as I was going to get Summer Of Fear by Lois Duncan to donate to a kid's book drive. I had no knowledge of the author when I received the book. Overall, I enjoyed it, a mystery thriller with twists and turns. The gore was a bit much for my taste, but the setup was handled very well. I was unable to suspend my disbelief in only one major area- that cops covering up a murder would only get a handslap when found out. I will look for other Parker books to enjoy.
Christa
If there was ever a book of a dog chasing his tail, this is it. Fast paced, scary, intimidating, ever making you question what you think is the answer, this one keeps you on your toes. At some point, I even thought the serial killer was going to be a continued saga in a series because it seemed the personal story of the main character was taking over. Wrong again! Very good writing, I'm going to have to try another of Parker's work.
Andrea
Crime writer Ross Monroe lives in a house on stilts in Laguna Canyon. His wife is suffering from a malignant brain tumor and Monroe's health insurance has stopped paying her claims. On July 3 the night the story begins, there is a hot wind blowing up the canyon and Ross is sitting in his car outside of the house of a long-ago girlfriend, Amber Mae Wilson, the mother of Ross's only child, Grace. A man leaves the house, a handkerchief in his hand wiping prints away as he leaves.

In Orange County, C
Gimena Reche
Este es uno de esos libros que sabés que amaste cuando lo terminaste de leer y después de tantos años seguís amando, aún cuando no puedes recordar de qué demonios se trataba, jaja. Me gustan los libros que tratan sobre crímenes y que tienen suspenso; este se encuentra en mi lista de favoritos.
Gizzard
This is a fairly dated mystery but available from the kindle lending library. This might have been groundbreaking when it was written, but now, it seems kind of same old same old. The hard edge just seems dated.
Mamma23
Love me some T Jeff, and I can't believe I missed this one until now.

It is, as usual, a suspenseful, gory, intense summer read. I love how his books take place in S. Cal, this one is Laguna. It is very graphic....and the second plot line about the brain-cancer stricken wife is heartbreaking. The main character Monroe's soul-searching in the face of adversity and mahem completes the richness of the tapestry T.Jeff weaves.

Good plot twists and believable, fallible characters make it interesting.

Hig
Michelle
Finally finished it after the drive for Mother's Day weekend (10 audio discs). It had quite the twist at the end that I wasn't expecting and I liked the way it resolved everything in the end. I could have done without the language and both my husband and I became confused when the author went off on back stories and then out of no where came right back to the story. But overall, a good murder mystery read (or in our case "listen").
Marti
What a strange book. When I began this book, I expected it to be as good as the last T. Jefferso Paarket book I read, but it wasn't. For a story about a serial killer, it seemed dull. Even the other killing--by mistake--the sister instead of the mother, or ex wife, was somewhat dreary. Along with that, there were parts that were confusing. Maybe this should have been the next to last draft.
Jackie
I am a bit disappointed with this book from one of my favorite authors. It is a stand alone, and the violence to children, animals and adults was just too graphic for me. He did a good job of building suspense and the twist at the end wasn't predictable. I'm just glad this wasn't the first book of his I read! I love his stuff normally.
Lisa
Parker's "Summer of Fear" is a thriller to say the least. From the first page, Parker pulls you into the main character life thus thrusting you on a roller coaster ride which keeps you fasten to your seat until the end. I'm sure it was one of, if not the scariest book I've ever read...and I loved every minute of it.
Lenore
I got this book in error for a different book by the same title. The characters did not grab me, nor did the plot until I was about halfway through. I wonder why I kept reading, except that there were some wonderful lyrical passages in which the main character was musing on the meaning of life.
Susan
This is my second T. Jefferson Parker. Although I did not enjoy it as much as my first, it won't be my last. Crime writer, Russ Monroe is drawn into the case of a vicious serial killer in a hot California summer while his own wife battles her own war with brain cancer.
Mary
Another good book by T. Jefferson Parker, will get the next in line next time I go to the Library. Am reading his old books to catch up to where I am today. These early books each have different characters, not a series like the others later on, but still good books.
Diane Fanning
I must confess that part of the attraction of this book for me was the fact that the protagonist was a true crime writer. But all in all, it is up to T. Jefferson Parker's high standards of suspense with enough twists and turns for several books.
Bill
I think Pelacanos fans would like this thriller. It's not as character-driven as George, but the characters are very interesting. More so than the actual plot. It's a really enjoyable read.
Pat
Mix of serial killer and cop copycat killer with a twist.
Wife with cancer.
Good ending with serial killer in the home of Russ Monroe, crime writer.
Suspenseful.
Dave
The first T. Jefferson Parker I ever read. Went back and read it a few years later and liked it even more.
Sheldon Lehman
This book jumps around too much. He's trying to create suspense, but it gets too annoying.
Hrn1947
good who dunit.early on in his writing career. very california feel.
Pamela
I liked this book. And I want to read more of his work.
Kelly
Way better than I anticipated!
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • Newspaper Days, 1899-1906 : Volume 2 of Mencken's Autobiography
  • Taken Hostage: The Iran Hostage Crisis and America's First Encounter with Radical Islam
  • Firewall: The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-up
  • Fountain of Age
  • Michael Brother of Jerry
  • Cress Delahanty
  • The Diary, Vol. 4: 1931-1935
  • P.G. Wodehouse : Five Complete Novels (The Return of Jeeves, Bertie Wooster Sees It Through, Spring Fever, The Butler Did It, The Old Reliable)
  • Henry VI (Parts I, II and III)
  • Saving the Queen
  • James Joyce's Ulysses
  • The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000
  • Lilac And Flag
  • The Little Locksmith
  • Valfierno
  • The Wild Duck Chase
  • The Persian Puzzle: The Conflict Between Iran and America
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California
More about T. Jefferson Parker...
L.A. Outlaws (Charlie Hood, #1) Silent Joe California Girl The Blue Hour The Fallen