Start by marking “Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose

Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose

From nonsense to lessons learned, these 45 rhymes include the very well known (Itsy Bitsy Spider) and the somewhat familiar (Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen). The truly fantastic pictures speak more than a thousand words as artist Scott Gustafson riffs in paint on themes present and imagined in each verse.

Nursery rhymes are classic, and so are some of the artist's interpre
Published September 1st 2007 by Artisan

Daniel
Oct 05, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
Publisher: Greenwich Workshop Press, 100 pp, 2007
Format: Picture Book (Mother Goose)
Intended Audience: Children, ages 4 to 8
Description:
Enjoy a collection of 45 of your favorite nursery rhymes from Mother Goose. From Humpty Dumpty to Three Blind Mice, all of your favorites are brought to life with vivid illustrations by Scott Gustafson.
Personal Review:
I have to be honest that I’m only familiar with about half of the nursery
Homegrown Reader
Nov 06, 2016 Homegrown Reader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
About six months ago, I realized we didn’t have a book of nursery rhymes. I remember fondly of sitting and flipping through a book of nursery rhymes as a child, gazing at the pictures and pondering the odd turns of phrase that were used. I wanted to give that to Bug, a building block for his love of literature. I wanted to give him a story that he didn’t need me to read for him, as he would know the words from verses. I wanted him to have something that he could think of fondly for when he had c ...more
Breanna Lechase
Oct 27, 2016 Breanna Lechase rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
1. Awards: Independent Publisher Book Award for Best Children’s Picture Book and a Chesly Award for Best Interior Artwork
2. Grade Level: Pre-K – Kindergarten
3. Summary: With about 47 different rhymes, this anthology truly celebrates the illustrator’s interpretation of each classic nursery rhyme. Each rhyme is paired with a full page picture that is meant to symbolize the rhyme and that is filled with imagination and warmth. All 47 rhymes are relatively short with varying font sizes.
4. Review:
Susan Soohoo
Oct 11, 2016 Susan Soohoo rated it liked it
My Review:
1. This book has received no rewards.
2. This book is suitable for preschoolers and kindergarteners.
3. This book is a collection of many well known nursery rhymes. Some include Jack Be Nimble, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Jack and Jill. Each nursery rhyme also has a vivid illustration that corresponds with each rhyme.
4. I do not highly enjoy this book, however, I do not hate it either. I think that the illustrations for each nursery rhyme does an excellent job of creating a visual
Alissa Parker
Feb 15, 2016 Alissa Parker rated it it was amazing
Genre: Nursery Rhymes and Mother Goose
Theme(s): Rhyme schemes, individual themes vary between stories
Opening line/sentence: Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
Brief Book Summary: This Mother Goose story is full of classic nursery rhymes that adults and children alike will both enjoy. Jack and Jill, Peter Piper, Humpty Dumpty, and the Three Blind Mice are just a few of the favorite nursery rhymes depicted in this story. The brig
Bridget Allebach
Genre: Nursery Rhymes
Theme(s): Poetry, Rhymes, Humor
Opening line/sentence:
“Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep,
And doesn’t know where to find them.
Leave them alone, and they’ll come home,
Bringing their tails behind them.”
Brief Book Summary: These forty-five nursery rhymes range from well known to familiar at best, hitting all the classics, and pairing them with amazing illustrations.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: G
Kimberly
The children's librarian at our library personally recommended this book and said it was her favorite nursery rhymes book, and I see why, it is beautiful. It has big beautiful illustrations and classic nursery rhymes that we grew up with. I love it and so do my kids.
Jodysegal
May 13, 2008 Jodysegal rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddler-1st grade
Scott Gustafson's detailed illustrations bring something new to the simple verse of Mother Goose. Some illustrations will delight young children with their humor: his Jack and Jill tumbling down the hill are a pair of well-dressed pigs, while his King of Hearts is very comically unhappy when that naughty Knave steals his tarts. Other illustrations are reminiscent of the aesthetic sensibilities of Arthur Rackham ( a delicately detailed and more realistic Under a Hill) and N. C. Wyeth or Audrey Wo ...more
Erika Stauch
Oct 11, 2016 Erika Stauch added it
Shelves: nursery
This book is good for ages PreK-2. There are 2 awards Independent Publisher Book Award for Best Children’s Picture Book and a Chesly Award for Best Interior Artwork. This book has 45 different rhymes and poems. It has all the classics such as, itsy bitsy spider. The Itsy Bitsy Spider, about a spider who would climb up the water spout and would get washed out by the rain. These many different poems and rhymes are great for young children. Even though it's a higher level for reading it interacts c ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
I work in the youth department of my library, and Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes are a staple of our storytimes with toddlers and preschoolers. The library carries more than a few collections of Mother Goose rhymes, illustrated by a good many artists, but to my mind, this one stands out because of Scott Gustafson's magnificent illustrations. Not only are they colorful and wonderfully well crafted, but they are also imaginative and fun. For instance, in the picture for "Simple Simon," the pieman is ...more
Katherine
Oct 10, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing
1. Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose by Scott Gustafson
Awards: Independent Publisher Book Award for Best Children’s Picture Book and a Chesly Award for Best Interior Artwork.
Age Range: 2-5 years
Mother Goose is a collection of various nursery rhymes. Including (but are not limited to) Jack- Be Nimble, The Isty-Bitsy-Spider, and Peter Piper.
One of the best things about Mother Goose are the different beautiful painting that are found in the book. The paintings are interesting because they
Pedro C
Mar 07, 2016 Pedro C rated it it was amazing
Gustafson, Scott. Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose (2007). This book brought back amazing memories from my childhood. It has all the classic nursery rhymes I remembered and more. The book is a compilation of classic children's rhymes such as Jack and Jill; Humpty Dumpty; Three Blind Mice; and Wee Willy Winkie; to Little Jack Horner, Peter Piper; Old King Cole; and Little Boy Blue. I was very impressed with the way the rhymes were illustrated and the quality of the printing. Great artwor ...more
Christy Bennett
Oct 27, 2016 Christy Bennett rated it really liked it
1. No awards
2. B-2
3. This version of the classic Mother Goose nursery rhymes is particularly beautiful and interesting. This collection captures the classics with a creative unique twist. It includes children of all races, as well as many different animals represented with each poem.
4. Gustafson's beautiful illustrations made revisiting Mother Goose's nursery rhymes such a pleasure. His collection had a more amount of nursery rhymes compared to others, but I appreciated its conciseness. I loved
Jul 13, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidbooks
Very rarely do I come across a book of nursery rhymes that I actually like. Since I first learned most of them through the spoken word and not a book, I have a certain image cemented in my head of EXACTLY how that nursery rhyme should look. This almost always leads to disappointment, because I want everything to have that enchanted quality that's going on in my head, and it hardly every happens.

This book comes pretty close to perfect for me. I love the large, classical illustrations and the mix
Anne
May 18, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mother-goose, 2008
CIP:none
Summary: A collection of 45 Mother Goose rhymes.

Review: The bright, colorful illustrations in this collection of Mother Goose rhymes will delight any child - and many adults as well. The anthology includes many familiar rhymes as well as some that were completely unfamiliar to me. There were also a few verses of songs such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" that I had never heard before. Take a whimsical voyage with this lovely tome.

SLJ says: "This selection of 45 mostly well-known rhymes
Nicole Voerg
Oct 02, 2016 Nicole Voerg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery
1. No awards
2. Pre-k - 1st
3. Filled with 45 nursery rhymes. The illustrations are huge, and colorful. The rhymes are rhymes that most children will know, like the Itsy Bitsy Spider.
4. I love the illustrations in this book. They are huge and colorful. They are all unique and not like other pictures in the stories that go along with the nursery rhymes.
5. This can be used to teach new hand movements to the nursery rhymes. This will help the children
with word identification. The pictures and colo
Alunafowler
Sep 16, 2012 Alunafowler rated it it was amazing
This book is a very large book that has every ones favorite nursery rhyme. I could not believe how many rhymes were remembered once I read this book. The book brought back old memories and made me think how significant those fhymes and songs were. Some text was read slow and some sound better read fast. The book illustration was vere diversed and full of fiction characters. The paintings were very intriguing and full of folk art. I loved reading this book to my children.
Janet
Apr 06, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
These 45 rhymes contain some of my favorite Mother Goose. One rhyme is illustrated on a two page spread giving direct focused attention for young children. It will take an adult to hold this oversized title, but afterall isn't that the point, a child feeling safe and secure in loving arms and being read to. Mother Goose is somewhat out of fashion, but is highly instructive in all types of sounds and rhymes that a child needs to hear to prepare to read.
Renee
May 24, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PreK-1st
This collection of 45 Mother Goose rhymes includes an index organized by the first line in the rhyme. With large pages, both the words and illustrations are easy for young children to see. Beautiful acrylic paint illustrations bring the rhymes to life and make this book (though maybe not at all once) perfect for a read aloud.

Positively reviewed in SLJ, No other reviews found

Rebecca
Aug 26, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Just as gorgeous as Jenn said! This is a sumptuous oversize book, with thick paper, bright colors, and full-page paintings featuring animals (Yankee Doodle is a chipmunk!) and children of various ethnicities. Definitely warrants further study, especially as Scott Gustafson lists influences such as N.C. Wyeth, Arthur Rackham, Norman Rockwell, and Maxfield Parrish (favorites of mine, too!).
Alice & Andrew
Jan 14, 2011 Alice & Andrew rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful! We originally checked it out from the library, but then Santa brought it to Andrew for Christmas because we loved it so much. The illustrations are just gorgeous on the huge pages. We can sit through a whole reading of this book, which is quite a feat of attention span for an 18-month-old.
Jaime
May 17, 2009 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
WONDERFUL illustrations. I absolutely loved reading these to my little girl and she loved the pictures. Not only did it bring me up to speed on all the nursery rhymes I didn't know, but the illustrations will stay with me forever. This is on my list of books to buy.
Tiffany Tilton
Sep 02, 2008 Tiffany Tilton rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, although it was just a review of nursery rhymes that I remenber from childhood. It is a great book to use when teaching students about poetry anf rhymes; and also good for bedtime stories. The artwork in this book was amazing!
Laila514
Oct 12, 2011 Laila514 rated it really liked it
I am very fond of this book as my mum read it to me as a bed time story, i also like the ugly duckling,she also read this to my brother as well. I guess thats why i have such a fondnness for ducks and geese.
Elizabeth
Nov 25, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Love, love, love these illustrations.
Danica Midlil
Absolutely love his illustrations!
Savannah
Jul 12, 2012 Savannah rated it it was amazing
I LOVED the illustrations in this book! I'm totally going to purchase this ASAP and add it to our collection. It was fun to read the poems to see which ones my boys would recognize.
Lindsay
Simply glorious full-page illustrations of classic nursery rhymes. Little ones could spend a long time poring over these images.
May 27, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
Once again we love Scott Gustafson! His artwork is beautiful. My children love this book and want to look at the pictures all the time.
Elisa
Aug 20, 2014 Elisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This book has such enchanting illustrations to go along with these classic nursery rhymes, I enjoy it as much, if not more, than my baby girl.
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • The Christmas Magic
  • A Few Blocks
  • Voyage of the Basset
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
Scott Gustafson has had the opportunity to illustrate a number of archetypal children’s books such as Peter Pan, Nutcracker, Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose, and Classic Fairy Tales, the last two titles published by Artisan. In 2011, he tried his hand at writing and illustrating, and his first novel, Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe, was published by Simon & Schuster Books fo ...more
More about Scott Gustafson...