Start by marking “Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose

Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  29 reviews
From nonsense to lessons learned, these 45 rhymes include the very well known (Itsy Bitsy Spider) and the somewhat familiar (Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen). The truly fantastic pictures speak more than a thousand words as artist Scott Gustafson riffs in paint on themes present and imagined in each verse.

Nursery rhymes are classic, and so are some of the artist's interpre
Published September 1st 2007 by The Greenwich Workshop Press

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
308th out of 373 books — 67 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Birds on a cover
206th out of 262 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
Title: Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose
Author: Scott Gustafson
Publisher: Greenwich Workshop Press, 100 pp, 2007
Format: Picture Book (Mother Goose)
Intended Audience: Children, ages 4 to 8
Description:
Enjoy a collection of 45 of your favorite nursery rhymes from Mother Goose. From Humpty Dumpty to Three Blind Mice, all of your favorites are brought to life with vivid illustrations by Scott Gustafson.
Personal Review:
I have to be honest that I’m only familiar with about half of the nursery
Jodysegal
May 13, 2008 Jodysegal rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler-1st grade
Scott Gustafson's detailed illustrations bring something new to the simple verse of Mother Goose. Some illustrations will delight young children with their humor: his Jack and Jill tumbling down the hill are a pair of well-dressed pigs, while his King of Hearts is very comically unhappy when that naughty Knave steals his tarts. Other illustrations are reminiscent of the aesthetic sensibilities of Arthur Rackham ( a delicately detailed and more realistic Under a Hill) and N. C. Wyeth or Audrey Wo ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
I work in the youth department of my library, and Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes are a staple of our storytimes with toddlers and preschoolers. The library carries more than a few collections of Mother Goose rhymes, illustrated by a good many artists, but to my mind, this one stands out because of Scott Gustafson's magnificent illustrations. Not only are they colorful and wonderfully well crafted, but they are also imaginative and fun. For instance, in the picture for "Simple Simon," the pieman is ...more
Anne
CIP:none
Summary: A collection of 45 Mother Goose rhymes.

Review: The bright, colorful illustrations in this collection of Mother Goose rhymes will delight any child - and many adults as well. The anthology includes many familiar rhymes as well as some that were completely unfamiliar to me. There were also a few verses of songs such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" that I had never heard before. Take a whimsical voyage with this lovely tome.

SLJ says: "This selection of 45 mostly well-known rhymes
Elisa
This book has such enchanting illustrations to go along with these classic nursery rhymes, I enjoy it as much, if not more, than my baby girl.
Very rarely do I come across a book of nursery rhymes that I actually like. Since I first learned most of them through the spoken word and not a book, I have a certain image cemented in my head of EXACTLY how that nursery rhyme should look. This almost always leads to disappointment, because I want everything to have that enchanted quality that's going on in my head, and it hardly every happens.

This book comes pretty close to perfect for me. I love the large, classical illustrations and the mix
Elizabeth
Love, love, love these illustrations.
Alunafowler
This book is a very large book that has every ones favorite nursery rhyme. I could not believe how many rhymes were remembered once I read this book. The book brought back old memories and made me think how significant those fhymes and songs were. Some text was read slow and some sound better read fast. The book illustration was vere diversed and full of fiction characters. The paintings were very intriguing and full of folk art. I loved reading this book to my children.
Janet
These 45 rhymes contain some of my favorite Mother Goose. One rhyme is illustrated on a two page spread giving direct focused attention for young children. It will take an adult to hold this oversized title, but afterall isn't that the point, a child feeling safe and secure in loving arms and being read to. Mother Goose is somewhat out of fashion, but is highly instructive in all types of sounds and rhymes that a child needs to hear to prepare to read.
Rebecca
Just as gorgeous as Jenn said! This is a sumptuous oversize book, with thick paper, bright colors, and full-page paintings featuring animals (Yankee Doodle is a chipmunk!) and children of various ethnicities. Definitely warrants further study, especially as Scott Gustafson lists influences such as N.C. Wyeth, Arthur Rackham, Norman Rockwell, and Maxfield Parrish (favorites of mine, too!).
Renee
May 27, 2008 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-1st
This collection of 45 Mother Goose rhymes includes an index organized by the first line in the rhyme. With large pages, both the words and illustrations are easy for young children to see. Beautiful acrylic paint illustrations bring the rhymes to life and make this book (though maybe not at all once) perfect for a read aloud.

Positively reviewed in SLJ, No other reviews found

Alice & Andrew
This book is beautiful! We originally checked it out from the library, but then Santa brought it to Andrew for Christmas because we loved it so much. The illustrations are just gorgeous on the huge pages. We can sit through a whole reading of this book, which is quite a feat of attention span for an 18-month-old.
Jaime
WONDERFUL illustrations. I absolutely loved reading these to my little girl and she loved the pictures. Not only did it bring me up to speed on all the nursery rhymes I didn't know, but the illustrations will stay with me forever. This is on my list of books to buy.
Tiffany Tilton
I really enjoyed this book, although it was just a review of nursery rhymes that I remenber from childhood. It is a great book to use when teaching students about poetry anf rhymes; and also good for bedtime stories. The artwork in this book was amazing!
Laila514
I am very fond of this book as my mum read it to me as a bed time story, i also like the ugly duckling,she also read this to my brother as well. I guess thats why i have such a fondnness for ducks and geese.
Savannah
I LOVED the illustrations in this book! I'm totally going to purchase this ASAP and add it to our collection. It was fun to read the poems to see which ones my boys would recognize.
JaNeal
Georgeous illustrations of classic nursery rhymes. Everyone needs a book of the traditional rhymes--in my opinion the illustrator tips the scale to this one.
Jaime Contreras
This is a handsome collection of MG Nursery Rhymes but they are a bit dry. Still, children will like to hear them. Hint, a bit of acting helps liven them up.
Mommy Farris
I love every picture Scott Gustafson has ever done. I love nursery rhymes. I love children's books. It is no surprise then that I LOVE this book.
Once again we love Scott Gustafson! His artwork is beautiful. My children love this book and want to look at the pictures all the time.
Lindsay
Simply glorious full-page illustrations of classic nursery rhymes. Little ones could spend a long time poring over these images.
Jessica
Gustafson's art work is incredible--detailed and prosaic. I had to get this version.
Lindsay
This is the best nursery rhyme book ever! The illustrations are incredible.
Megan
This edition of Mother Goose has the best illustrations I've seen!
Kristin
Currently one of my favorite Mother Goose books ever!
Gail
Scott Gustafson's art is so vivid. I love it.
Christine Turner
Large illustrations - great for storytime!
Melissa
Mother Goose rymes with beautiful illistrations!
Laurel
  • A Few Blocks
  • A You're Adorable
  • Lots of Dots
  • Chicks and Salsa
Scott Gustafson has had the opportunity to illustrate a number of archetypal children’s books such as Peter Pan, Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose, Nutcracker, and Classic Fairy Tales (The Greenwich Workshop Press). Recently, he has tried his hand at writing and illustrating, and his first novel, Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe, was published by Simon & Schuster Books for Youn ...more
More about Scott Gustafson...
Classic Fairy Tales Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe Alphabet Soup: A Feast of Letters Animal Orchestra: A Counting Book Nutcracker