Start by marking “Cryptozoic!” as Want to Read:
Cryptozoic!

Cryptozoic!

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  15 reviews
He roamed through the dim reaches of the remote past and like a phantom, the Dark Woman haunted him at every turn. Was she a hallucination produced by the stresses of his bizarre existence? Or was she a ghost from a future more distant than his own?

Bush had been called into a totalitarian world, trained to kill, and then sent back in time - as an assassin. And still the D

Published March 28th 1977 by Avon (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Cryptozoic!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cryptozoic!

Dmadden
Sequoyah

I had high hopes for this novel. Actually, I had never anticipated reading any book as much as this one, for some strange reason (Most likely the description that other reviewers had). Also, I have never been more let down by any novel.

This novel is completely unintelligible, and there are many parts that annoy me completely.
The main character has the record for mind traveling the closest to any human age, but still hasn't reached humans yet. Yet, after he goes back to do his "assigned job" he
Bill FromPA
At the end of the twenty first century, a “moderately expensive” drug allows humans to “mind-travel”, to transport themselves to some past era where they can see but not hear, smell, taste or touch their surroundings and not be seen or sensed by the residents of the past. One flaw in the novel is that it isn’t very clear where exactly the bodies of these mind travelers are while they are in the past. They go into a room in the 2090s, take the drug and leave behind a living sample of their tissue ...more
M.P. Johnson
Could Use More Dinosaurs, But...

Aldiss is one of the more underrated sci-fi authors out there. His stuff is consistently smart and entertaining. But I mainly picked this one up because it has dinosaurs on the cover. There are not many dinosaurs in it. That's okay, because it's still a pretty rad tale of time travel via mind power that turns into this weird governmental/art conspiracy to take down the very concept of time.

Page 26 in the paperback has a line about a sweet hole that is my favorite
John

Eddie Bush is an artist and an employee of the Wenlock Institute, founded by the psychologist who realized, around 2090, that the only thing constraining us within the flow of time is our mind -- more accurately, our perception. It seems we have an undermind that's usually under complete control of our overmind, which governs such things as our perceptions of the reality around us. By use of various mental disciplines (effectively, a mantra) and a magic potion, people can prise their undermind f
Alan
Having just read The Interpreter, I found Cryptozoic much better. The style seems more mature. The dialogue is more authentic with some differentiation between individuals, though with occasional lapses into preaching and narrative exposition by the characterse towards the end.

Cryptozoic is very much a book of its time - (c) 1967. Advertised as a 'psychosexual thriller', that designation would raise eyebrows today. Its focus is on the character of Edward Bush, a mind-traveller wandering through
Tony Atkins
After reading the flawed but compelling "Against a Dark Background", it was refreshing to read an older work, with a straightforward central premise. In "Cryptozoic", humans have discovered that they can (through the aid of drugs and mental discipline) project their consciousness back to visit the distant past. They can observe but not interact with the past, thus avoiding any number of paradoxes. The main character is an artist, who intends to exploit the past as inspiration to express the spir ...more
Guru
"Cryptozoic" is probably the most psychedelic sci-fi book I have ever read. It is a mixed bag actually, Aldiss's writing style swinging wildly between the very crisply intellectual to the most juvenile.
Set in the 2090s, when humankind have figured out that time is actually more of mental construct than a physical one and time travel can actually be equated to mind travel. Mind-Travel becomes a rage, especially in the western world, where the economy is already fragile.
The chief protagonist, Te
Otis Campbell
Now the evenin' breeze is blowin'
I hear your voice most everywhere
Your cold, black eyes
They are dancin' in the starlight
Manny
As everyone knows, there are two main families of time-travel stories. There are the ones like Back to the Future, where it's possible to change the past, and there are ones like Hitchhiker's Guide, where everything fits together like a jigsaw.

And then there's Cryptozoic, which doesn't slot into any normal classification. I won't even try to explain how it works, but it's different all right. The book has an interesting, haunted atmosphere, though it doesn't make much sense.
Daniela
For my taste a little bit too much complicated. There were things I even was not able to imagine, what it actually could be and my imagination is actually very wild. Well, the idea of turning our perception of time upside down was interesting but my overall feeling about this story is a little bit frustrating.

I released this book in wild in the reception of the hotel Belitsa, Primorsko, Bulgaria if someone is interested.

A Czech translation of Cryptozoic! by the way.
Alessandra
Jan 22, 2008 Alessandra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a decent quick read
Recommended to Alessandra by: the $2 bin
Decent enough - though the end felt very thrown together, and stops abruptly, in my opinion. Beautiful prose, though. Enjoyed the theory concerning time that is offered, but wish it had been fleshed out a bit more.
doug bowman
An interesting concept: we are travelling backwards in time instead of forward.
Peter
I enjoyed this at the time but haven't re-read it
Gabriel Gasparolo
Gabriel Gasparolo marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Meza Costel-cristian
Meza Costel-cristian is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Milan
Milan added it
Dec 03, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Nov 24, 2014
Jalapa
Jalapa marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Javi
Javi added it
Oct 31, 2014
Deathmetalroze
Deathmetalroze marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • ඉර හඳ තරු මැද
  • Vermilion Sands
  • Man-Kzin Wars 6 (Man-Kzin Wars, #6)
  • The Ultimate Egoist (Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon #1)
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • Bug Jack Barron
  • Riverworld and other stories
  • Timemaster
  • The Computer Connection
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • The Enemy Stars
  • Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)
  • Battle for Proxima (Star Crusades Uprising, #4)
  • The Eternal Savage: Nu of the Neocene
  • The Tower
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Reunions Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #7)
Pseudonyms: Jael Cracken, Peter Pica, John Runciman, C.C. Shackleton, Arch Mendicant, & "Doc" Peristyle.

Brian Wilson Aldiss is one of the most important voices in science fiction writing today. He wrote his first novel while working as a bookseller in Oxford. Shortly afterwards he wrote his first work of science fiction and soon gained international recognition. Adored for his innovative liter
More about Brian W. Aldiss...
Non-Stop Helliconia Spring (Helliconia, #1) Hothouse Helliconia Winter (Helliconia, #3) Helliconia Summer (Helliconia, #2)