Start by marking “Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever” as Want to Read:

Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners by Matt Fitzgerald offers runners up-to-date nutrition advice based on the latest science

Runners have different nutrition and recovery needs than other endurance athletes. Yet until now, they've had no nutritional resource specifically addressing their concerns.

This comprehensive guide distills the newest thinking in the sci
Published December 27th 2005 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners

Christy
May 07, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
This was like reading Michael Pollan while sipping Gatorade or slurping up gu.

The Message
His basic message is eat all natural + a little science on the side during a run. When, how & what is sprinkled in there including a typical day, pre-run, recovery & race day ideas. But he does suggest we play around with what we do in order to figure out what works best for us. Argh - can't I just have a recipe! No. It doesn't work in life, so why would it work here. But his suggestions are helpful
Tomherndon
Jan 04, 2014 Tomherndon rated it really liked it
I've been reading about running for while and running a bit longer. I think I've been exposed to most of the content via other books, periodicals, and web reading. The parts that stand out to me are the discussions on timing of pre run and post run nutrition/supplies. I would like to have access to a bibliography as I'm at a point that I would like to see the studies referenced in the passages. It's not that I don't trust the author/editor, I would like to see the rest of the study findings and ...more
Turi
Mar 07, 2009 Turi rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
This was MUCH more what I was looking for than The Runner's Diet (also put out by Runner's World.) Where it was focused on someone who was getting into running specifically to lose weight, Performance Nutrition for Runners was written for established runners looking to fuel correctly to improve their running. I really appreciated all the info on fueling and hydrating while running, pre-race, and recovery eating. I was hoping for a little more on everyday eating - maybe some general meal plans an ...more
Enni Gregas
Jan 24, 2015 Enni Gregas rated it liked it
#25 on my 52 in 52 Quest: Another informative read from the Easy Striders circulating library---kiitos (thank you), Donna.

The author, Matt Fitzgerald, is a runner and coach as well as a professional writer. Solid, common sense, practical advice presented in a readable style, while grounded in extensive knowledge of nutrition and athletic performance.

I especially appreciate the discussion on sports drinks which clarified ingredients and purpose---I've always been confused by this aspect of the
cory
Apr 29, 2011 cory rated it liked it
the term "sports drink" is used 73 times in this book, or once every 3.342 pages. gatorade is the only brand mentioned, 9 times.
this means that every 3-5 minutes sports drinks will be suggested, and every 30-45 minutes or so gatorade will be suggested as the chosen brand. in other words, reading this feels like a pr campaign/ad for gatorade. being more interested in natural optimizations, all this sport drink talk seems excessive.

there are some reasonable tips mixed in with a lot of common sens
Stephanie
May 05, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is a good, easy to follow guide to both sports nutrition and general nutrition. While the author is not a nutrition specialist and thus lacks some expertise, he has picked up a lot of information from years of coaching and consulting with nutritionists. I wish this book had citations for the studies he describes, but overall it was a worthwhile read. It breaks down a lot of misconceptions about nutrition that are prominent in our society.
Carina Cuellar
Feb 21, 2012 Carina Cuellar rated it really liked it
A very good book to prepare you for those long runs. I knock it one star as there are not enough examples on how to eat each day. This book will teach you how to eat right before and right after those long runs, but it only generally teaches you your target goals day in and day out. I am still looking for that everyday book - a real gap in the market.
Megan
Jun 12, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Really great information on nutrition and hydration needs for running. I've increased my mileage this year and needed to learn about fueling myself so I don't get sick or injured. Fitzgerald has a lot of great information for runners.
C
Nov 21, 2014 C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running-books
Finally reading this, and it is putting much in layman's terms. Now, of course, I want to buy it...

Edit...yeah, so I bought it. Another one to go on the shelf of books I've bought but forget to read! Hopefully I'll highlight the heck out of it when I finally do!
K
May 14, 2010 K rated it really liked it
This was perfect for what I was looking for. It's hard to find details on running nutrition especially when you're not someone who runs 40 miles a week. This book breaks down running nutrition for all levels of runners.
PL
Jun 24, 2007 PL rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: runners
A great read, especially for those who are concerned about what supplements and foods to eat and how to utilize nutrition to maximize your training and competition. This is important for those who plan to do marathons.
Sherry
Feb 05, 2008 Sherry rated it it was ok
o.k. book. Pretty common sense material as far as nutrition and eating whole foods. Some good information on drinking energy drinks during training and postrun nutrition.
Eli Nicole
Jul 28, 2010 Eli Nicole rated it it was amazing
Much more than I expected! Great book & very helpful full of useful information!
Angel
Aug 26, 2011 Angel rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice on nutrition for runners of all levels.
Maria Tsilimidou
Dec 30, 2011 Maria Tsilimidou rated it it was amazing
This is the best performance nutrition book I have ever read.
It has taken my training to a higher level.
Amanda
Mar 03, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Learnin' how to eat FOR SPEED and so I don't get dehydrated, disoriented, and puke after my next marathon.
Sharon Watkins
Feb 15, 2013 Sharon Watkins rated it really liked it
Solid, easy to use information for optimal runners' nutrition. Not really anticipating my "best race times ever," but maybe I'll feel a little bit better when the race is over?
Carl
Aug 21, 2007 Carl rated it liked it
A lot of useful information, a good deal of nutritional jargon, and some information most people would know already.
Alison
Jan 05, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
Some good information on aspects of nutrition for runners.
Tasha
Jul 01, 2010 Tasha rated it liked it
Jim Young
Had some usefull information, especially about post workout nutrition and intake before and during races.
Denim
Apr 05, 2011 Denim is currently reading it
Running Nutrition. So far very helpful.
Danielle
Jan 11, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Lots of good information. Although at times it is more technical than needed. Guess that's what a nutrition book is going to be aobut. Made me think though.
Joe Miller
Mar 28, 2008 Joe Miller rated it liked it
This one was so so. Some good info about anti-inflammatory diet. Otherwise, not a lot of new info, at least not for me. Not a real life changer.
Renee
Aug 21, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read for Running... got my time to 10 minutes because of it. I should add I was only able to do this a handfull of times so far.
Karla
Dec 28, 2012 Karla rated it liked it
Good info about nutrition for runners. Very in depth and a tad too scientific for me.
Blake Weishaar
Blake Weishaar rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Run Your Butt Off!: A Breakthrough Plan to Shed Pounds and Start Running (No Experience Necessary!)
  • Runner's World The Runner's Diet: The Ultimate Eating Plan That Will Make Every Runner (and Walker) Leaner, Faster, & Fitter
  • Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • The Complete Book of Running For Women
  • 14 Minutes: A Running Legend's Life and Death and Life
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • Children of Kali: Through India in Search of Bandits, the Thug Cult, and the British Raj

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »