Start by marking “Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners by Matt Fitzgerald offers runners up-to-date nutrition advice based on the latest science

Runners have different nutrition and recovery needs than other endurance athletes. Yet until now, they’ve had no nutritional resource specifically addressing their concerns.

This comprehensive guide distills the newest thinking in the sci
Published December 27th 2005 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners

Enni Gregas
#25 on my 52 in 52 Quest: Another informative read from the Easy Striders circulating library---kiitos (thank you), Donna.

The author, Matt Fitzgerald, is a runner and coach as well as a professional writer. Solid, common sense, practical advice presented in a readable style, while grounded in extensive knowledge of nutrition and athletic performance.

I especially appreciate the discussion on sports drinks which clarified ingredients and purpose---I've always been confused by this aspect of the
Tomherndon
I've been reading about running for while and running a bit longer. I think I've been exposed to most of the content via other books, periodicals, and web reading. The parts that stand out to me are the discussions on timing of pre run and post run nutrition/supplies. I would like to have access to a bibliography as I'm at a point that I would like to see the studies referenced in the passages. It's not that I don't trust the author/editor, I would like to see the rest of the study findings and ...more
Christy
This was like reading Michael Pollan while sipping Gatorade or slurping up gu.

The Message
His basic message is eat all natural + a little science on the side during a run. When, how & what is sprinkled in there including a typical day, pre-run, recovery & race day ideas. But he does suggest we play around with what we do in order to figure out what works best for us. Argh - can't I just have a recipe! No. It doesn't work in life, so why would it work here. But his suggestions are helpful
Turi
This was MUCH more what I was looking for than The Runner's Diet (also put out by Runner's World.) Where it was focused on someone who was getting into running specifically to lose weight, Performance Nutrition for Runners was written for established runners looking to fuel correctly to improve their running. I really appreciated all the info on fueling and hydrating while running, pre-race, and recovery eating. I was hoping for a little more on everyday eating - maybe some general meal plans an ...more
cory
the term "sports drink" is used 73 times in this book, or once every 3.342 pages. gatorade is the only brand mentioned, 9 times.
this means that every 3-5 minutes sports drinks will be suggested, and every 30-45 minutes or so gatorade will be suggested as the chosen brand. in other words, reading this feels like a pr campaign/ad for gatorade. being more interested in natural optimizations, all this sport drink talk seems excessive.

there are some reasonable tips mixed in with a lot of common sens
Stephanie
This is a good, easy to follow guide to both sports nutrition and general nutrition. While the author is not a nutrition specialist and thus lacks some expertise, he has picked up a lot of information from years of coaching and consulting with nutritionists. I wish this book had citations for the studies he describes, but overall it was a worthwhile read. It breaks down a lot of misconceptions about nutrition that are prominent in our society.
C
Finally reading this, and it is putting much in layman's terms. Now, of course, I want to buy it...

Edit...yeah, so I bought it. Another one to go on the shelf of books I've bought but forget to read! Hopefully I'll highlight the heck out of it when I finally do!
Carina Cuellar
A very good book to prepare you for those long runs. I knock it one star as there are not enough examples on how to eat each day. This book will teach you how to eat right before and right after those long runs, but it only generally teaches you your target goals day in and day out. I am still looking for that everyday book - a real gap in the market.
Megan
Really great information on nutrition and hydration needs for running. I've increased my mileage this year and needed to learn about fueling myself so I don't get sick or injured. Fitzgerald has a lot of great information for runners.
K
This was perfect for what I was looking for. It's hard to find details on running nutrition especially when you're not someone who runs 40 miles a week. This book breaks down running nutrition for all levels of runners.
PL
Nov 17, 2008 PL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: runners
A great read, especially for those who are concerned about what supplements and foods to eat and how to utilize nutrition to maximize your training and competition. This is important for those who plan to do marathons.
Sharon Watkins
Solid, easy to use information for optimal runners' nutrition. Not really anticipating my "best race times ever," but maybe I'll feel a little bit better when the race is over?
Sherry
o.k. book. Pretty common sense material as far as nutrition and eating whole foods. Some good information on drinking energy drinks during training and postrun nutrition.
Danielle
Lots of good information. Although at times it is more technical than needed. Guess that's what a nutrition book is going to be aobut. Made me think though.
Renee
One of the best books I have read for Running... got my time to 10 minutes because of it. I should add I was only able to do this a handfull of times so far.
Joe Miller
This one was so so. Some good info about anti-inflammatory diet. Otherwise, not a lot of new info, at least not for me. Not a real life changer.
Tasha
Carl
A lot of useful information, a good deal of nutritional jargon, and some information most people would know already.
Jim Young
Had some usefull information, especially about post workout nutrition and intake before and during races.
Maria Tsilimidou
This is the best performance nutrition book I have ever read.
It has taken my training to a higher level.
Amanda
Learnin' how to eat FOR SPEED and so I don't get dehydrated, disoriented, and puke after my next marathon.
Karla
Good info about nutrition for runners. Very in depth and a tad too scientific for me.
Eli Nicole
Much more than I expected! Great book & very helpful full of useful information!
Angel
Excellent advice on nutrition for runners of all levels.
Alison
Some good information on aspects of nutrition for runners.
Denim
Apr 05, 2011 Denim is currently reading it
Running Nutrition. So far very helpful.
Kelly Williams
Kelly Williams is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Anastasia Sidorova
Anastasia Sidorova marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • Run Your Butt Off!: A Breakthrough Plan to Shed Pounds and Start Running (No Experience Necessary!)
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Runner's World The Runner's Diet: The Ultimate Eating Plan That Will Make Every Runner (and Walker) Leaner, Faster, & Fitter
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster
  • 14 Minutes: A Running Legend's Life and Death and Life
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners
  • The Runner's Field Manual: A Tactical (and Practical) Survival Guide
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results Diet Cults: The Surprising Fallacy at the Core of Nutrition Fads and a Guide to Healthy Eating for the Rest of Us The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "the Wall"