Start by marking “David and the Phoenix” as Want to Read:
David and the Phoenix

David and the Phoenix

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  73 reviews
David has no greater wish than to explore the mountains behind his new home in North Carolina and as he does he finds a wonder never dreamed of, the Phoenix. The Phoenix introduces David to an endless list of his friends from mythology and in the process opens David s eyes to the wide world both the unseen world and seen world. In the unseen world David and the Phoenix sha ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Start Publishing LLC (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about David and the Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David and the Phoenix

Monica!
As a child, this book was one of a handful that could leave me a sobbing wreck on the floor, while my mother rolled her eyes and said things like, "Why do you read it if it upsets you so much?"

Oh Mom.

You just don't get it.

You just can't understand a friendship like the one held by David and the Phoenix.

And the part? The part at the end? The part where after all their adventures, and all their scary moments, and all the close calls and rescues, David has (view spoiler)
Erik Graff
Oct 16, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids in need
Recommended to Erik by: it was on the library cart in elementary school
Shelves: literature
Other than Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat, this may have been the first book I ever read on my own. It left an indelible impression and would occasionally mentioned in conversations about reading and childhood over the years. Unlike the Seuss, it was what kids nowadays call "a chapter book"--no pictures except at the head of chapters.

The plot, as I've recalled it over the years, is basically about a lonely little boy who moves to the country, and, having no alternatives and having natural curiosity,
Margo Berendsen
This is one of my childhood favorites and now I'm reading it to my kids. My copy is seriously old - I think 1960's - and I was THRILLED to discover that it's not only on Goodreads, but there is a sort of small cult following for it!

Do you know the difference between a gryffin, gryffon and a gryffen? Where sea monsters like to sleep? How a banshee can be quite helpful for repelling Scientists? How to out-race a witch on a new broomstick?

This book is a treasure trove of little adventures, but the
Erin
I am so glad that "David and the Phoenix" has been republished because my family has fought over our tattered, yellow copy for years. It is a FANTASTIC book. Well-written fantasy. Wonderful imagery. Highly recommended.
Ron
You know, I think I've read this book before . . . a long, long time ago (though in the local galaxy).

Even as a child's read-aloud book, it wouldn't be so highly rated today, but for a young reader struggling with sounding out the words the style and repetition is a great learning tool. The pomposity of the Phoenix was just enough for someone eight or so years old to get the joke and feel inside.

This Gutenberg edition includes Joan Rayso's enjoyable pen-and-ink illustrations.

A very good read for
Ivan
Truly delightful and inspired fantasy adventure. If I had read this as a boy I'm sure it would have been my favorite book. I especially enjoyed the last two chapters.
Aelvana
David is thrilled to move into his new house, because he's got a mountain just beyond his backyard that begs to be explored. And the mountain has plenty of secrets---including one very extraordinary bird, the Phoenix! Summer vacation has seldom been more interesting.

The short, simple story wastes no time getting right to the glory within: a legendary bird, an innocent young boy, and an unusual friendship for both. The Phoenix, with its near-500 years of knowledge and wisdom, pontificating person
Josie
This was one of my absolute favourite books as a kid. It hasn't been around the house for years but I have deeply fond memories of it, and remember a good deal of the detail - even the use of the word "debris" which I had never heard of before! I was always fascinated by the crazy, idiosyncratic creatures David and the phoenix visited, and the suspense of their secret adventures. The phoenix was ever-so-slightly annoying but a strong and interesting character, and the ending had a bittersweet ki ...more
Christy
With a tremendous surge of its wings, the Phoenix managed to seize a branch. David's legs slipped from the bird's back, and he dangled over the abyss.
Thus ends the near-disaster of their first flight together. But don't underestimate the Phoenix! Failure only makes David's new-found friend determinded to get into shape so that David's education for Life can proceed.
And...more With a tremendous surge of its wings, the Phoenix managed to seize a branch. David's legs slipped from the bird's back,
Preston Lee
Yes, I realize this is in the "childrens" category. And yes, I'm a 29-year-old male. But I do periodically like to venture out of my comfort zone in semi-random directions in hopes of stumbling upon little-known treasure.

From purely an adult perspective, David and the Phoenix is a straightforward adventure story between a boy and a bird that is both a quick and easy read. I have to dock several points, unfortunately, as:

(1) The Kindle 3G version, at least, does NOT contain the illustrations. Ill
Elentarien
Quite enjoyed this one. Read the 'Gutenberg' version on my Ereader. Its a child's book, so a very quick and easy read for an adult. The story is light and rather humourous. The Phoenix is a bit of a dope, but amusingly so. His boastfulness and pride more a cover, without overshadowing the child character. (Although for a creature of 500 years old, he doesn't seem to know much). They get into some amusing adventures and out again.

My only 'real' complaint about the book is the VERY abrupt ending.
Mimi
Oh yes, what Margo said.....It is truly one of my favorite children's books. Long before Harry Potter, David was on the scene, befriending and caring about the Phoenix and having someone make his world magical. Highly recommend but no, you can't have my beloved well thumbed ancient copy! Silly good reads. The date I finished the book the first time? or the last 20 or so dates I've gone back to enjoy this story?

Alison Levie
This book was recommended to me by a student. David discovers a phoenix living on the mountain behind his new house. The phoenix takes him on a host of adventures to learn about other creatures (all of them mythical creatures like unicorns, a faun, a leprechaun). How will David get away from his family to pursue his adventures? Will the scientist who is tracking the bird manage to shoot his so he can study him? Where will the phoenix take David next? There's lots of suspense and a fair amount of ...more
Cori
So it might be sentimental from enjoying this book as a youth, but I just read it again and what can I say? It's dear to my heart. The Phoenix is a memorable, lovable character and David is an innocent, inquisitive young boy looking for adventure. I told my five-year-old daughter a few stories from within the book and she keeps asking for more. I will read it aloud to her someday soon. What's not to love about traveling to distant lands with a large, exotic, talking bird to meet mythical creatur ...more
Phoebe
I found a dusty old book on my dad's bookshelf when I was a child, and it was amazing. It was an old childhood copy of David and the Phoenix, the 1957 hardcover edition. It was my favorite book for a long time.
Terri
I absolutely loved this book as a kid. I'd definitely have given this book 5 stars then. My dad still has his old hardback version from the Children's Weekly Reader club. It is a fun fantasy about a young boy who meets and has fantastic adventures with a phoenix.

As an adult, I found this book to be less fun than I recalled. The phoenix is self absorbed and stuffy, and their adventures are a little crazy and certainly on the dangerous side. (but that is after all, part of the fun to a child, rig
Relyn
Jul 06, 2009 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens & their teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: Loganberry Books
My favorite book website is Loganberry Books. http://www.logan.com/harriett/default...

She is a children's book expert with a vast knowledge of the genre. One of my favorite things she does is solve mysteries. Anyway, one day I was poking around and found this book listed in the most requested books section. People are passionate about this out of print book. If you doubt me, do a search on ABE and check out the prices.

Libraries are a marvelous invention, though. Through inter-library loan, I ch
James Rosh
Another fave from when I was a kid. I liked the Banshee Scream in the jar, that could be opened later. That was cool stuff when I was a little kid!
Lindsey
A cute book to read to your children before bedtime.
Ann
One of my favorite books when I was in elementary school.
Adam
I, like many reviewers here, was smitten with this book in the late 1950's at a very young age. I've browsed the Amazon reviewers and now the reviewers here and for sure there is a "brotherhood and sisterhood" of 1950's youngsters who got old, found themselves in the 21st century, but NEVER forgot David and the one and only Phoenix. For us, David and the Phoenix is a very special book. It imprinted itself in our heads and our hearts. And after all these years we still get a bit "emotional" at th ...more
Christy
I joined the Weekly Reader Childrens Book Club in 1957 just so I could have this book. Everybody was reading it, and everybody loved it. Except that I didn't love it. I didn't even "get" it. The Phoenix was always tossing off allusions to classical literature, and taking David to meet mythological creatures that I'd never even heard of. Plus, a funeral pyre? It's not kids' stuff. But now that I'm a grown up I read it often, and I love it.
Nathan
While growing up, I was fortunate enough to have my father read this book to me and my two brothers. Probably several times. Now that I'm a father, I have kept that tradition with my children and they can't get enough of this book. They laugh as the Phoenix trips over his words and feel the story come alive. Turn off the TV and read this one to your kids. You won't regret it.
Logan
Reviews said that before there was Harry Potter, there was David and The Phoenix. Written in 1958, it looked charming. I found an audio production done by a full cast, with the author as the narrator and Logan loved it! He listened to it several times on a long overseas trip. I heard bits and pieces and thought it seemed well-paced for him and not too scary.
LJ
DAVID AND THE PHOENIX – VG
Ormondroyd, Edward – YA – Stand Alone
Not a mystery, but a book which has stayed with me since hearing it read aloud when I was in 3rd grade. It’s a wonderful story of a young boy who befriends a Phoenix and the adventures they share. Ormondroyd never talks down to his audience. Highly recommended for young adults—of all ages.
Cody VC
Picked this up because the title was evocative and the cover was pretty much blank - the book was a first edition, belonging to my grand-uncle - and was briefly disappointed upon discovering it was a childrens' book but read it anyway. I'm glad I did - it's really quite good for what it is. A fun read, and the illustrations are terrific.
Caseyazalea
This is one of three Weekly Reader books that belonged to my older sister, which I still have in the original Weekly Reader hardcover, the other two being Half Magic and No Children, No Pets. I still read each of them every once in a while, in fact I think I'm due for another read of this one soon.
Betsy
Jun 16, 2011 Betsy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children (age 7-12)
Recommended to Betsy by: David Weber
A charming fantasy adventure for children (ages 7-12?). David and his family move to a new house, with a mountain behind it. On the mountain, David discovers a phoenix that befriends him. Together they have several adventures, while trying to protect the phoenix from the scientist that hunts it.
Christine Brodien-Jones
A charming old-fashioned fantasy which is back in print, featuring David, a young boy who meets a professorial-type phoenix on the mountain behind his house. The phoenix takes David 'under his wing,' so to speak, and the two take off on many marvelous adventures. Terrific read for 8-12s.
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • No Children, No Pets
  • The Pink Motel
  • The Wonderful O
  • Jennie
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • The Mousewife
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • The Little Book Room
  • Sisters, Long Ago
  • The Children on the Top Floor
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Golden Twine
  • When We Were Heroes
  • Eleven Kids, One Summer
  • Kokopelli's Flute
Edward Ormondroyd grew up in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, and Ann Arbor, Michigan. During WWII he served onboard a destroyer escort, participating in the invasions of Okinawa and Iwo Jima.

After the war he attended the University of California at Berkeley, where he received a bachelor's degree in English. Later he went back for a master's degree in library science.

He lived in Berkeley for 25 years, wo
More about Edward Ormondroyd...
Time at the Top All in Good Time Theodore: The Adventures of a Smudgy Bear Castaways on Long Ago Time at the Top and All in Good Time: Two Novels