Start by marking “The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture

The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture

Permaculture is an important but often misunderstood method of growing food and building homes in a manner that works with nature, rather than against it, to create beautiful, healthy, and useful gardens. Blending ecology, organic agriculture, green home design, appropriate technology, and biology can be confusing and overwhelming, but The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture si ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture

A better title for this book might have been, "An Overview of Common Strategies and Techniques Used by Temperate-Climate Landowners in Their Permaculture Designs." Though I am loath to give a book that purports to be about permaculture such a poor review, I feel that this book is a dud compared to the great body of literature already out there on the subject.

After one scanty chapter at the beginning that tries to encompass the whole of Bill Mollison and David Holmgren's original permaculture cur
Marie
Jan 06, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way the author makes some of the peramculture principles more obvious that other books Ive read, which seem to give advice on ways to set up a permaculture farm but aren't as specific as I would like, eg you like in a temperate climate and are facing increasing impacts of drought and climate change, so what to do, for this reason I wish the book focussed on the future a little more.
They did incorporate aspects of we are currently doing on our small permaculturish property eg rabbits,
Guy
May 13, 2015 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read for anyone interested in permaculture, regenerative agriculture, homesteading, agroforestry and sustainable animal husbandry. It's accessible, practical and informative. Topics are covered at a high level, and then buttressed with greater detail. Recommendations are not just offered, but supported with a reason why, which I so often find lacking in these kinds of books. This really helped my comprehension of the subject matter.
April Franklin
Nov 23, 2012 April Franklin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've skimmed through several permaculture books lately; I've become fascinated with the ideas and practices behind permaculture. I've been a backyard gardener for years but I am just now realizing how much farther some people take it. This book was by far the most approachable permaculture book I picked up. Highly recommended!
Diana Par-due
Jun 04, 2014 Diana Par-due rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good guide but doesn't have a lot of practical examples. I really found the planting guide super helpful because it listed good companion plants for each variety and mentioned the bugs they repel and attract.

The pictures are beautiful as well.
Amy
My thoughts are identical to this review:
including the recommendation to read these 2 books instead:
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture and Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
Anna
May 29, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ultimate Guide to Permaculture is a simple, mainstream sum up of permaculture philosophy, which would make it a good gift for your neighbor or mother who look at your crazy projects with a skeptical eye.
Cindy Deister
Sep 16, 2014 Cindy Deister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Very informative, but more for people who own large plots of land. Not for suburban life or backyard design, but interesting if you are looking for information on permaculture.
Tygh Walters
Super superficial; paradoxically good, as a dumbed-down overview.
Chrissy Hoefgen
Chrissy Hoefgen rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Alyska
Alyska rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Benubenuyamenu
Benubenuyamenu rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
DawnBorealis
DawnBorealis rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Darryl Tonks
Darryl Tonks rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2013
Jules
Jules rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Elizabeth Hills
Elizabeth Hills rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2013
Renato Caliari
Renato Caliari rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Lauren Fulner
Lauren Fulner rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Amanda L
Amanda L rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Scourgebrew
Scourgebrew rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Bonnie Rose
Bonnie Rose rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Julien
Julien rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Josh Van
Josh Van rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Santos
Santos rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Page number discrepancy 2 22 Feb 15, 2013 10:51AM

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »