Start by marking “How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships

How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The best-selling author of Boundaries (over 2 million copies sold) helps readers break through relationship barriers and reveals the eight vital skills necessary for building long-term, rewarding friendships. Includes study guide for individuals and groups.
Published January 1st 2012 by Worthy Publishing (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Best Friend Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Best Friend Forever

Crystal
Jan 20, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I was intrigued by the title of this book when it was offered to me for review, so I decided to take it on during this blog tour. The concepts and guidance provided in the book can be interesting at times, and I can absolutely see them being useful for people, especially people in a slightly older generation who may have trouble with their close relationships. Personally, I fit more into the demographic the author describes as a group that is very connected to their friends, so I didn’t feel the ...more
Mona
Jun 24, 2016 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I pick this book because it covered the category of How To Book, in my 30 book NF challenge. While I find self-help and relationship books to be a bit tedious it seemed an easier choice than trying to listen to How To home repair. And hey who can't use more friends. Since I had mainly picked this book due to the title and the cute penguins on the cover I did not realize this therapist had a religious orientation. While I didn't find that element particularly useful I didn't find it a negative el ...more
Robin
Aug 20, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Be a Best Friend Forever
Dr. John Townsend

Book Summary: Our world has diluted the meaning of friendship, but the reality is, there’s nothing like the sustaining strength of true-blue, forever friends. Still, many people are convinced that they’ll never find such lifelong connections—or that they don’t need them. In this encouraging book, best-selling author and psychologist John Townsend delivers hope and help for making these relationships a reality—and for making them even better if you’
Pat W. Kirk (author name Patricia Annalee Kirk)
How to be a Best Friend Forever delves into becoming more than surface friends from the perspective of a Christian psychologist. The tone is easy to understand rather than professional, although occasionally, he describes ways of talking to your friends in doctor-ese. However, readers who want to deepen their dearest friendships will find useful information here.

Dr. Townsend discusses the importance of a best friend in crisis. You won’t find information on getting these friends. He says that it
Curtis
May 30, 2012 Curtis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of great information and helpful advice about starting and building friend relationships. We all need friends in our lives, not just those acquintances that we often see. Friends enrich our lives and those healthy relationships are just what we need for our tough times. Townsend teaches his readers about friendship in a down-to-earth way; not too fluffy and cleary understandable by the average reader. He shows what these healthy relationships can look like as we share our time, ...more
Pathway Midland
Debi
Oct 08, 2011 Debi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The formatting of the book was messed up; perhaps not set up to be downloaded to Kindle. However, moving past the formatting, this was a great, quick read on friendships and the importance of having a best friend (BF). Defining what a best friend is, the book then talks about the qualities that are needed for having a best friendship. The importance of honesty stood out to me. Too many times people are afraid of speaking the truth to those closest to them.

Also mentioned in this book is the impor
Sandie
Apr 21, 2012 Sandie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is a friend and how can someone bring friends into their lives? That is the premise of Dr. John Townsend's book, How To Be A Best Friend Forever. His position is that friends are our second family, those who after we are nurtured in our birth families, help us to finish growing outside that protective environment. They bring needed diversity of opinion. Of course, to have a friend, one must be a friend and Townsend covers what makes a great friend and what one must do to have them.

Best frie
May 02, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, great stories and examples, biblically-based. This book made me think through the relationships/friendships in my life (especially the closest ones) in a healthy and challenging way, and I think it is one that most people would really benefit from reading...including me!
Michelle Bodle
May 09, 2014 Michelle Bodle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
It seems in this culture that we throw around the word friend rather casually without thinking what it does or could mean. Townsend helps open up the depth of friendships in this work
Peter Harrington
Mar 20, 2014 Peter Harrington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read. Not too long but full of great advise. Most advise is common sense but its always a good slap in the face to hear it from another.
Afton Rorvik
Jan 14, 2015 Afton Rorvik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading a book about friendship written by a man who values friendship. So refreshing. Nice to remember that men need and thrive on friendships too. I found myself nodding my head often as I read.

Favorite quotations:

"However, one of the best things you can do to make your marriage greater is for each of you to have best friends" (page 40).

"If you are a a Christian, I hope you have close friends who are not Christians" (page 84).
Gina
May 15, 2015 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He makes some good points on a very important relationship that often goes by the wayside. The relationship of best friends are truly one of the most valuable that a person has. The only problem I had with this book was that the thoughts weren't fleshed out enough and he coordinated it with the Bible a little...if he was going to go that direction, I really wish he would have developed that more as well.
Gordon Alley
Sep 09, 2014 Gordon Alley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Interesting book that caused me to think of the importance of having friends. Did not necessarily agree with the author in concerning that it is of benefit to have best friends of the opposite gender. I am under the personal belief that my wife should be my best and closest friend.
Adam Scheidegger
In short, a very helpful resource for evaluating what friendships vs acquaintances are. Helpful for looking at yourself in the best friendship lens. And lastly, helpful for evaluating what kinds of friends you choose (or don't if you are not close to anyone outside of family).
Chrissy
Jan 17, 2012 Chrissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book has some great advice on how to deepen relationships as well as build on newer friendships. I don't know that I would take every piece of advice, I don't think that some of my friendships need 'help' but overall, really great book.
Lana
Dec 12, 2014 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
This is a short and insightful book. I enjoyed the stories that were shared and learned a lot that I can apply to my own personal friendships.
Sundi
May 25, 2012 Sundi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Gave some great insight. Love the study guide questions at the end that make you did a little deeper.
Emily Bullock
Emily Bullock marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Christin
Christin marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Ana
Ana rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Kerry Lofton
Kerry Lofton rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2016
Tuğbâ McCage
Tuğbâ McCage rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Janis Thurman
Janis Thurman marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
  • A Woman's Heart for God: Drawing Closer to the Lover of Your Soul
  • Be Rebellious: Fight Back Against A Culture That Doesn't Care About You
  • Should I Stay or Should I Go?: A Guide to Knowing if Your Relationship Can--and Should--be Saved
  • The Emotionally Sensitive Person: Finding Peace When Your Emotions Overwhelm You
  • Love. Period.: Loving Those Who are Not Like You
  • Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God
  • The Devil Has No Mother: Why He's Worse Than You Think- But God is Greater
  • Power of the Prophetic Blessing, The: An Astonishing Revelation for a New Generation
  • The Squeaky Wheel: Complaining the Right Way to Get Results, Improve Your Relationships, and Enhance Self-Esteem
  • Idol Lies: Facing the Truth About Our Deepest Desires
  • Killing Jesus: The Hidden Drama Behind the World's Most Famous Execution
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Soul Without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge Within
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • There Is No App for Happiness: How to Avoid a Near-Life Experience
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps

“Always remember that while grace and truth come together, grace comes before truth.” 0 likes
“Do all you can to befriend those in your family who will be the kind of friends described in this book. And as the apostle Paul reminds us, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone” (Romans 12:18). You are only half of the equation. You can't force this with those who are not interested.” 0 likes