Start by marking “The Very Tiny Baby” as Want to Read:
The Very Tiny Baby

The Very Tiny Baby

Jacob learns that adults can be scared, too, when his new sibling is born prematurely. While Jacob has his grandma and his faithful teddy bear, Bob, with him at home while his parents are at the hospital, he still feels alone. The book portrays the range of emotions older siblings often have about a new baby, including fear, anger, and resentment, along with the added ...more
Published March 25th 2014 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Tiny Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Tiny Baby

Jessi
Apr 24, 2014 Jessi rated it liked it
With a few minor changes, I think that this book would be worth 5 stars. It was really informative, presented from a child's point of view, and was easy to understand. The book is intended for kids who not only have a preemie brother or sister, but are dealing with some of the feelings of resentment that can come along with gaining a sibling- especially one that is special needs or has other health considerations that take up a lot of mom and dad's attention. I recognize that it's important to ...more
Tricia
Jul 24, 2014 Tricia rated it it was ok
I would recommend you read this book carefully before reading it aloud to your child. It is geared towards preparing a child for the addition of a premature sibling and not just a new baby. Some of the content may not be something your child relates to such as the sibling saying "I wish the baby would die" or the detailed explanation of breast pump operation (my son lost interest at that point).
Barbara
When Jacob learns that a new baby will be arriving soon at his house, he has mixed feelings about this new addition. Those feelings become even more complicated When the baby is born prematurely. As his family members worry about the baby's health, the narrator resents all the attention the baby is getting from his parents and the time being taken away from him. The picture book does a good job of describing his conflicted emotions and then his affection for the very tiny baby once it arrives ...more
Mary
This is a good book for an older sibling who is working on accepting a baby into their life. Especially a premie. It talks about the feelings that a child has and the fears about no longer being the only child in a family. It's written from the perspective of a child, as well, so that helps connect children to the story. As an FYI, there is discussion of nursing and breast pumps (with hand-drawn pictures) in case anyone is sensitive to that.
Mari
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to any and all families expecting a new baby. This family has had a premature baby, so not only is the big brother not so sure about this whole thing, everyone is worried and scared. It will be super-useful to some families, and may be interesting to read for other families, but I can totally see an anxiety prone future big sibling getting scared by this one.
Pamela
Mar 26, 2014 Pamela rated it it was ok
Although it had some good information in it, I felt disturbed by some statements made by the three year old. The "I wish the baby would die" page is disturbing and I wonder if a 3 year old could even comprehend that concept. Also, suggesting to the child that the baby could die gives them more to worry about.

Jasmine Olivia
Mar 09, 2016 Jasmine Olivia rated it it was ok
Jasmine told me to give this book ZERO STARS, but I thought I would be generous and give it two stars. This book is horrible! Horrible illustrations, and it's too graphic for children. I don't think the little boy wishing his baby brother would die is appropriate for children, though some might say it, my child was shocked to see those words on the page. Eek!
Rebecca
Sep 22, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
This is not an ideal book for a read aloud. Small pictures and serious subject matter about a preemie baby. But, a definite reader's advisory for parents looking about discussing this subject with their new siblings.
Amy Carr
Feb 17, 2015 Amy Carr rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
If you or someone you knows has a premie baby, then this is a great book to help an older child come to an understanding of what is occurring and how to deal with it. I think my favorite illustration is the mother using the breast pump...there is a picture of a breast albeit a benign cartoon one.
Esther
Aug 20, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it
A good concept book to talk about preemies, and their more stressful arrival into a family. An older brother talks about his feelings, waiting for this baby, and walks the reader / listener through the process.
Kristen
Bibliotherapy is easy to get wrong. This book will work well for little kids in this situation. I wouldn't read it aloud for a generic storytime, but it does what it sets out to do nicely.
Laurel
Laurel rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2016
Damera Blincoe
Damera Blincoe rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Leo and Ian
Leo and Ian rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2015
Jenn C
Jenn C rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Cassie
Apr 15, 2014 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Great book talking about preemies and how their siblings cope.
Erin
Jun 06, 2016 Erin rated it liked it
Preemies. New sibling.
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2014
Inkandfeathers
Inkandfeathers rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Michelle Gray
Michelle Gray rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Jj
Jj rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Sarah Payne
Sarah Payne rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was ok
May 27, 2014
Sarah Easton Miller
Sarah Easton Miller rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
Nancy Kotkin
Nancy Kotkin rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2015