Start by marking “The Christmas Tin” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Tin

The Christmas Tin (Christmas Tin #1)

Jesse Maclean is concerned that the commercialism of the holidays has distracted his daughter from the real reason why Christmas is celebrated. He determines to tell his daughter a Christmas story—one that conveys the true meaning of the holiday. And he knows just the story.

The year is 1968 and Jesse's father is serving a tour in Vietnam. Jesse and his mother are strugglin
Published November 28th 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Tin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Tin

Cindy
May 26, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
I won this book through Goodreads Firstreads. Thank you! It's a wonderful and beautiful story that could be read any time of the year and not just Christmas. Jesse Maclean fears that his young daughter has lost the true meaning of Christmas so he tells her the story of the Christmas Tin which has been placed on the windowsill for the holidays. Souvenirs and memories of the past are enclosed in this tin and each item represents a story about miracles, family hardships, faith and love. I shed a ...more
Arlena
By: Roderick J. Robison
Published By Createspace Independent Publishing Platform
Age Recommend: Teen - Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"The Christmas Tin by Roderick J. Robison was a wonderful Christmas read that was indeed enjoyable from the start to the very end. This is a read for everyone who would truly find some value as well as appreciation for this wonderful well written novel. I can see this would be of benefit for many families to start this treasure of keeping a 'Christmas
Dianna
Jun 22, 2013 Dianna rated it liked it
Jesse Maclean tells his daughter a Christmas story that conveys the true meaning of Christmas that he had learned as a young boy. His father was serving in the war in Viet Nam and to help his mother with finances, he delivered newspapers. He befriends one of his customers and is curious about the Christmas Tin in the window. She explains a few of the items and the meaning behind each story. And that faith and hope can bring light into a saddened heart.

I love the idea of a Christmas Tin - a time
Nancy
Nov 19, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, war, family
I saw this book recommended on the friends list, and bought it from Amazon. This is a very good short read. The tin box brings back memories of Christmas time from the past. It shows how families dealt with having very few material things, but still had memorable times at Christmas, and the love they showed each other.
Mwrogers
Dec 25, 2013 Mwrogers rated it it was ok
This book claims to be about the real reason that Christmas is celebrated, yet the name Jesus is not mentioned once... Could it be that the author doesn't really know himself what the true meaning of Christmas is? "For unto us a child is born, unto us a Savior given." Isaiah 9:6
Theresa
Nov 20, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Very nice Christmas story
Kath
Nov 16, 2013 Kath rated it it was amazing
An outstanding book with messages of hope, love, and family.
Dawn
Nov 19, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Nice start to the Christmas season. Sweet story of a hard working young boy whose father is fighting in the Vietnam war. He makes a new friend in the nursing home and an is encouraged by her stories of Christmas miracles.
Kay
Nov 20, 2016 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Christmas Tin

Wonderful story for the Christmas holidays. A simple homemade decorated tin to hold precious memories of Christmas past. Enjoyed this first time author.
Terri Falcon-Thrun
Christmas memories

A beautiful story of faith, love and Christmas hope. Brings back a lot of my past Christmas stories when money was scarce, but love abounded. Great read.
Ruth
Dec 02, 2016 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse delivers papers to add some extra income to their household. His mother is trying to hold things together in 1968 while his father has been deployed to Vietnam. While delivering the papers at the local nursing home, he meets Ardella who is there for rehab after hip surgery. Ardella loves Christmas and is busily decorating her room. She shows Jesse her Christmas Tin that hold very meaningful holiday items and she tells him a story about each item every Saturday. She has lessons to teach him ...more
Nancy Silk
Nov 28, 2013 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing
"A Must Read For The Holidays"

This is such a beautifully written story which will warm your heart and give you the true spirit of Christmas. In this book, there are several stories, uniquely tied together relating to the gifts tucked away in an antique Christmas tin. Jesse Maclean makes it home in time for the holidays to be enjoyed with his family. He sits in his office with his daughter Anna as they gaze out the window watching the new snow fall. Her attention is drawn to a small box on the wi
Sally Malkowski
Nov 16, 2013 Sally Malkowski rated it it was amazing
The Christmas Tin is a delightfully refreshing, must read, short fiction story, which encourages the reader to embrace a most wonderful time of the year with perhaps a different attitude. A dad’s tradition of reading to his daughter on Christmas Eve turns out to be an account of memories of his past. It’s just the dose of Christmas spirit to get me in the mood this year. I was so taken with it that I’m planning to gift a few of my friends with Roderick J. Robison’s timely release. Merry ...more
Julie Barrett
Dec 31, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Christmas Tin (A Holiday Novel)
Like how this story starts out, in 2000 then goes back in time as a father explains to his daughter what is inside the Christmas tin and what it really means.
With such detailed descriptions of just a room I can picture myself there and feel such a big part of the story. We learn how the tin legend started.
Such beautiful caring stories of the things in the tin. Sad and happy moments as the years go on, not many books can bring tears to my eyes. This one does.
Tre
Kathy
Nov 04, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed this heartwarming story! It was the perfect book to get me ready for the upcoming holiday season. The stories told by Ardella left me misty-eyed throughout the book. The story of Jesse and his family also left me brushing away a tear or two. While it isn't a book with a religious theme, it is a wonderful story about how precious memories are made and treasured. It is a quick but engaging read and a book I plan to read each year before the Christmas season gets underway.

I th
Kathy
Heart Warming

I enjoyed it tremendously about a boy who delivered papers and one of his rout was to a nursing home. He met a friendly woman who could be partially on her. She invited him in and he saw Check tin he asked what was in it she said come sit I will tell you about it. From then on every week he saw the things she pulled out one at a time with the story behind it. He also was a jockey player but couldn't afford skates every Sat he hoped the thrift store had his size. T rest is left you t
Misty
Dec 30, 2014 Misty rated it really liked it
I started this book not knowing what to expect but it wasn't (thank God) as heavy as I thought it would be. It is what I call an airy read, for me this means a straight forward and mostly light hearted read. This was the perfect type of Christmas spirited book, full of good well, Christmas themes, and the better bits of the human spirit sparkled throughout the book. It would be a perfect by the Christmas fireplace read, with a hot drink on a snowy day.
Kristin
Dec 22, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
A free Kindle book just in time for the holidays! This was the perfect, lazy, Christmas afternoon read. The author layers a present day story and childhood stories (including the stories of a local nursing home resident) into a wonderful little heartwarming sequence. I found myself moved to tears with both sadness and joy. This was not your typical Christmas story, but one that reminds you of the meaning of the season nonetheless. I loved the originality.
kelley
Dec 28, 2013 kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, christmas, 2013
The Christmas Tin begins with Jesse Maclean looking for a good Christmas story to share with his daughter. She picks up the Christmas Tin that sits on the windowsill and asks to hear the story behind it. Jesse thinks it is the perfect story to share with his daughter. I would agree. I really liked the story of the Christmas Tin and how the objects inside came to be there. This was a good Christmas story.
Debbie
Dec 01, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Nice little Christmas tale that starts in the present and goes back to the 1968 when Jesse's father is in Vietnam and things are hard. Through his paper route Jesse becomes acquainted with nursing home resident, Ardella. She will tell him stories about her life and her Christmas Tin that will impact Jesse his whole life.
Pamela Beckford
Dec 19, 2013 Pamela Beckford rated it really liked it
I typically don't read sappy stories or holiday feel good tales. But I picked this one up as a freebie from Amazon.

While the ending was predictable, the tale was not. It was charming and engaging.

A quick read that was a great story to put me in the Christmas spirit. Now is a great time to read this one. You won't be sorry.
Stacey
Nov 03, 2014 Stacey rated it really liked it
Very tender story of a young boy growing up during the Vietnam war. His father has been sent to the war front while he and his mother try to make a living at home. The boy takes a paper route to help his mother and meets an elderly lady who shares stories with him about her Christmas Tin and the special memories it holds inside. This story will refresh you with the simple joys of Christmas.
Darlene Ferland
Dec 08, 2013 Darlene Ferland rated it it was amazing
This Christmas story comes from the heart. The author didn't just write a Christmas book. It is a deep look at what our values are and how our history, our personal history, can be a catalyst in our lives as well as those around us. It shows us how things we think are important can become meaningless in the face of real strife. . . Definitely a book that should be read at this time of year!
Janet
Dec 17, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that I have never heard of before. Multiple time eras meld together through the lives of an older woman and her caring paper boy. It speaks of the history of her Christmas Tin. You won't want to put it down. A MUST READ!
Jan 01, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Sweet Christmas story of a young man whose father is serving in Vietnam and a friendship he develops with an elderly lady in a nursing home. She has a Christmas tin fully of Christmas memories, and when he visits, she tells him stories about the items that are in this box.
James D Stidham
Dec 02, 2015 James D Stidham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Story

I enjoyed this so much! It was not the traditional Christmas tale. It was tenderly and beautifully written. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a little history along with a good story.
Krisha Burnett scannapieco
One of the best holiday stories ever!

The story of The Christmas Tin was absolutely delightful, parts made me laugh, some made me cry, but I loved the book so much, it's inspired me to start a new Christmas tradition!
Audrey
Aug 12, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it
A sweet Christmas story bringing back memories of my childhood when Christmas was celebrated so much differently than today, a time when we didn't have everything we needed and presents under the tree were few, inexpensive, and every gift a very special treat!
Sheila
Dec 15, 2015 Sheila rated it liked it
This is a cute Christmas story regarding a young boy dealing with his father in Viet Nam and learning about Christmas love and a Christmas tin.
Cynthia Karl
Dec 10, 2013 Cynthia Karl rated it it was ok
A feel good book for Christmas that didn't quite do it for me but everyone else in my book club really enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Christmas at Valley Rise (Miracle at Valley Rise #3.5)
  • Seeker of Stars
  • Make You See Stars (Stardust Erotic Romance Series #2)
  • Second Chance at Forever (Holiday, Vermont, # 1)
  • A Holiday to Remember
  • The Cardwell Ranch Collection: Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch \ Justice at Cardwell Ranch \ Cardwell Ranch Trespasser
  • Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Story
  • The Valentine's Day Disaster (Twilight, Texas, #4.2)
  • Going Solo (New Song)
  • An Amish Gift: A Novel
  • Goodnight, Brian
  • The Christmas Cat
  • Perfect (Love Series, #1)
  • A Madaris Bride for Christmas
  • Christmas Bells (Seasons of Cherryvale #5)
  • When Rain Falls (Victory Gospel Series, #1)
  • White as Snow: A Christmas Story