Start by marking “iPad: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
iPad: The Missing Manual

iPad: The Missing Manual

Apple's wildly popular iPad and new iPad Mini come jam-packed with features, like access to your media library from the Web, Siri voice control, and seamless Facebook and Twitter integration. But to tap your iPad's potential, you need a trustworthy owner's manual. This bestelling book shows you how to import, create, and play back media; sync and shop wirelessly; keep in t ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Pogue Press (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about iPad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about iPad

Drew
Jul 19, 2010 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded iPad: The Missing Manual and read it on my iPad (in iBooks). This gave me the opportunity to switch out of iBooks and quickly test some of the things that are mentioned in the book.

Overall, the book is well written and has a nice layout. It is very self-explanatory and has plenty of illustrations to help the reader see what things should look like on the iPad screen.

While the manual would be very useful to someone who just purchased the iPad and is just getting up to speed on how se
Emma
Jun 05, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about how to use my new iPad from reading this manual. It was obviously written pre-release of the iPad and based on documentation rather than experience with the iPad. However, as an ebook O'Reilly is periodically releasing updates to reflect actual working conditions. I highly recommended this book to anyone who wants to get more out of their iPad.
Emily
Sep 08, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, borrowed
Not a bad reference. There isn't much in here I didn't already know, and had I been editing the book I would have avoided including a large section on particular apps (they outdate so quickly!). If you don't know what you are doing on an iPad, this is a pretty good place to start. Honestly, I'm using this same review for other iPad reference books--the ones I've read are all pretty much the same.
Linda
Sep 13, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, computers
This is another of those books that serve no purpose other than for those that have absolutely no familiarity with the subject matter. I suppose for them it might be useful but for anyone else it is a waste of time and electrons.
Ally Cabella
Nov 10, 2013 Ally Cabella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Missing Manuals are always helpful. This one had plenty of little known tips even though it is based on the previous iPad and first generation iPad Mini.
Hapzydeco
Jul 28, 2013 Hapzydeco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you just purchased your first iPad this book will bring you up to speed quickly. Even is you own an iPod or iPhone the section on iTunes will teach you a few new tricks.
Pam
Jan 21, 2011 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book gives bare bones info on how to use your iPad. It is very simple and just about anyone should be able to understand how to do simple things on the iPad. There are better books for iPad.
The Subway Reader
useful book, it certainly helped but it could be much better as well, ideally it now gets replaced with true world experience about the iPad.
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Anthony Faber
Jul 22, 2015 Anthony Faber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but the tone is annoying.
SA Anders
SA Anders rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Julia Hendon
Dec 27, 2012 Julia Hendon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very helpful.
Clay Fernald
Clay Fernald rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Martin Khamphoukeo
Martin Khamphoukeo rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Amy Smith
Amy Smith rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2012
JCA
JCA rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Joe Lawrence
I have not received the ipad i ordered yet
Joe lawrence
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
John Bastin
John Bastin rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
David Griffiths
David Griffiths rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
J Lichtenstein
J Lichtenstein rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Martha Goff
Martha Goff rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Lila Rudolph
Lila Rudolph rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Paul T Collura
Paul T Collura rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A military brat, Biersdorfer has lived in eight U.S. states, including such diverse locales as a nuclear-missile base in North Dakota; Washington, D.C.; and rural Indiana.
A member of the newsroom technology staff at "The New York Times," she was heavily involved with the recent conversion of the Sunday Times Magazine to a desktop publishing system.
Coming from a non-technical background herself, Bi
More about J.D. Biersdorfer...