Start by marking “That Used to Be Us” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
That Used to Be Us

Michael Mandelbaum

That Used to Be Us

America is in trouble. We face four major challenges on which our future depends, and we are failing to meet themand if we delay any longer, soon it will be too late for us to pass along the American dream to future generations.
Audio
Published December 1st 2012 by MacMillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about That Used to Be Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Used to Be Us

Kkraemer
Mar 21, 2015 Kkraemer rated it really liked it
Every American should read this book, all 377 pages of it.

They should read it, think about it, talk about it with their friends, and consider world, national, and personal events through the lenses that are framed in these pages. They should spend time.

It's important: America can serve this world as a stabilizer that offers people opportunity, education, and the right to be visionaries. America can serve this world as a place where all live in some degree of peace. It has institutions that bal
Jane
Sep 14, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it
Well worth reading. What makes America great, what's threatening to destroy us, and why the authors are still optimistic.
Graham Mumm
Oct 15, 2015 Graham Mumm rated it did not like it
We're falling behind! We lost the American spirit!

How do we get it back? Collective action and stronger political forces! More public investment and regulation! Forcing higher wages and enacting climate change rules!

Yes, indeed, that's exactly the American way! Throttling people with more government has always been the cornerstone of American Freedom, innovation, and prosperity. The only reason we're not doing better is because we're not forcing the individuals in this country to sacrifice for
Paddy Eger
Mar 22, 2014 Paddy Eger rated it really liked it
It's a wake up call. We're needing to realize that the world is changing around us and we're not 'king of the hill' any longer (or won't be for much longer) IF we don't realize how much the world has readjusted.

As a former educator, I see the education discussion as vital. If we don't put funding and our support behind schools what can be expect. And , as a volunteer trainer and a volunteer, I think our first step is to get involved in schools and then step up to the other challenges the book pr
Meredith Allard
Jan 29, 2015 Meredith Allard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, education
I've been a fan of Tom Friedman's for some time now and I always enjoy watching him on talk shows. Along with Michael Mandelbaum, Friedman has written a book that is a great reminder of the strengths the U.S has had in the past and the heights it can rise to again. As an educator, I found the book spot on about the problems faced in American classrooms on a daily basis. Like the authors, I'm a frustrated optimist, and this book is a well-researched argument for how to overcome the challenges the ...more
Judith Johnson
Jun 02, 2014 Judith Johnson rated it really liked it
This book is well worth reading, whatever your political party. Conservatives won't like it but neither will liberals. The author is quite clear about what is wrong with each party and with our current political disaster zone. Me, I tend to agree with them. It gave me a better understanding about how conservatives and liberals think and why. Neither side has the complete answer; the answer is somewhere in between and nobody gets everything they want. I recommend this highly.
Linda Gocha
Feb 09, 2015 Linda Gocha rated it really liked it
Good book that shows how China is taking the lead in many areas. It shows how our country's fate depends on how we adjust to the IT revolution, budget deficits, and how we handle rising energy consumption and rising climate threats. Thick book, but worth the read.
Skip Heflin
May 29, 2016 Skip Heflin rated it it was amazing
This is a great lesson in history and the authors offer some very well thought out ideas of how to secure our country's future.
Christina Crouch
Jan 15, 2016 Christina Crouch rated it liked it
To be fair, there are many parts I disliked because I felt the author unfairly biased against the United States, however many of the realities and principals ring true.
Anthony Allen
Feb 23, 2015 Anthony Allen rated it it was amazing
This book should be mandatory reading for all Congressional staff and members. Want to know hy America is slipping? READ THIS BOOK!!
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
May 11, 2014
Salina Tang
Salina Tang rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Rudy
Rudy rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Leonardo Cantelmo
Leonardo Cantelmo rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Nancy Hendrickson
Nancy Hendrickson rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Peggy Taylor
Peggy Taylor rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Scott Tomlinson
Scott Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Wei Chen
Wei Chen rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Ted Iantuono
Ted Iantuono rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Manveer Singh
Manveer Singh rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Nicholas Hancock
Nicholas Hancock rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
David Gross
David Gross rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Daphne Stevens
Daphne Stevens rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016