Start by marking “Thank God It's Thursday: Encountering Jesus at the Lord's Table as If for the Last Time” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Thank God It s Thursday is the prequel to bestselling author Will Willimon s highly successful, Thank God It s Friday. Following the book of John, Will Willimon focuses on the Jesus teaching of his disciples prior to his own death but also before their own hour of decision. The climax of the Gospel is when Jesus pours out his life on the cross surely an enactment and demon ...more
ebook
Published February 1st 2013 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Thank God It's Thursday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank God It's Thursday

Josh Davis
I bought this book thinking it would be about the Lord's Supper--and to some extent it is, just not how I expected. Willimon is working from John's gospel, which has no account of Jesus' last supper, so his main text doesn't really mention the Lord's Supper at all. Now, he does get to it, but it isn't really a textual exposition, which I suppose is what I was hoping for and expecting.

In addition, the book was a little scatter-shot to me; he spends a lot of time in John 3 and John 6 (more commun
Robert D. Cornwall
Vintage Willimon. Direct and prodding, he invites us to envision the message of Maundy Thursday through the eyes of John's Gospel. Challenging our tendency toward sentimentality, he reminds us that the Jesus we meet in Scripture, the Jesus who meets us in the Eucharist, is a rather demanding person!

I finished the book the Monday of Holy Week. The book looks toward Thursday -- but also beyond. It is a call to love as Jesus loved.

Have a taste:

"There are lots of reasons why people don't attend ch
Darrell Vandervort
Excellent look at Maundy Thursday in John's gospel.
Jack
Jack added it
Nov 25, 2014
Greg Methvin
Greg Methvin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
David Henderson
David Henderson marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Andy Kelly
Andy Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Greg
Greg added it
Mar 25, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
William Henry Willimon is a bishop in the United Methodist Church who currently serves in North Alabama. One of America's best known preachers, he formerly served as Dean of the Chapel at Duke University and taught at Duke Divinity School.
More about William H. Willimon...
Pastor Calling & Character: Virtues Of The Ordained Life Peculiar Speech: Preaching to the Baptized Who Will Be Saved? Remember Who You Are