Start by marking “Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us Into Temptation” as Want to Read:
Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us Into Temptation

Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us Into Temptation

A fun and twisted look at persuasive, interaction design patterns

If you're wondering how your mind works, why you're susceptible to persuasion, and how, as a web or app designer, you can exploit the twisted way everyone else's brain works, you've come to the right place! This fascinating book explores more than sixty persuasive online design patterns and shows you why, hap
Published June 17th 2013 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Evil by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil by Design

Kit Sunde
Oct 01, 2014 Kit Sunde rated it liked it
It's an okay book on creating incentives and getting users to perform the actions you want. As the name suggests quite a lot of it gives examples of morally questionable tricks that would be difficult to blanked apply to any website, especially if you're seeking to retain users and trust. Which is not a criticism of the book, if anything it makes it perfectly clear what the expected consequences and result would be.

The author does give references, if sometimes anecdotally and sometimes on studie
Wilte
Jul 15, 2016 Wilte rated it liked it
Basically a behavioral economics book, applied to interaction design. Nice touch to categorize our biases in the seven sins. Great title too. So I didn't learn a lot of new things but it was nice to read the familiar BE/nudge-examples through a slightly different lens. Also nice that real applications are discussed instead of a rehash/summary of nice academic studies.

And this quote resonated with me (I work at a regulator): "Perhaps the regulators should insist that opting out take as few clicks
Ilib4kids
005 NOD
My child rate: 3

Seven deadly sins
Pride; Sloth; Gluttony; Anger; Envy; Lust; Greed
Chap Pride
p27 Closure: the appeal of completeness and desire for order
Cow Clicker vs. Zynga (CityVille,FarmVille,CastleVille)
Chap Anger
P120 The middle ground is pseudo-anonymity. Pseudonyms are names that help identify the same person across multiple interactions(multiple forum posts)but do not disclose who that individuals is in the real world.
...It was pseudonymous rather than named users who provided the h
Christina
Feb 25, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok
I read more than half, then scanned the summaries for the last four chapters, which was good enough because the book was repetitive. Although the author provided examples throughout, my attention wandered because it felt so abstract. The device of structuring chapters around the seven deadly sins felt forced at times and simply repeated behavioral and economic research sited in more interesting books like Predictably Irrational. Also, many of the tactics felt truly evil, sometimes to the point ...more
Ignas
Oct 18, 2013 Ignas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
Really nice book to read. Writing style is easy and most of the tips in the book I found very useful and practical. Companies are trying to trick you and use your sins to get money from you, so when you know those tricks you can see more clear what is going on. Moreover those tips could be used in your business and design process (in a good or bad way, it really depends on you). So in general - was a great read and would recommend to a friend.
Bruce
May 20, 2014 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: user-experience
I like this book. Social engineering tips and tricks by looking at the ways the baddies use them all helpfully explained by explaining in the context of seven deadly sins. Reminds me of the great Cory Doctorow article on metadata called metacrap which explained why metadata is tricky with people i.e. they are lazy, they lie, and they are stupid.
Elisa
Jul 15, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
We read this book fr our UX book club.I really enjoyed how he framed the interaction design issues with the seven deadly sins. The best part is that there are terrific examples of all of them. It was a good book to share and discuss.
Lora Kostova
Mar 27, 2016 Lora Kostova rated it really liked it
It is not as much about design as it is a social psychology book, which is always interesting. It is also even more 'evil' than it sounds, with the '7 deadly sins' concept making it very well structured and interesting.
Yuval Vered
Jun 28, 2016 Yuval Vered rated it liked it
Establishing a well rounded point across different industry verticals & creating a seemingly valid context from historical events through emotional reasoning, Evil by Design still manages to become somewhat repetitive across chapters (i.e reciprocity, desire as an emotional resource etc.)
Rana
May 10, 2015 Rana rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Worth a read- I'm just so sick of reading about the Stanford prison experiment and the Monty hall problem.
Tova
Apr 13, 2016 Tova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-design
Being a design lover, I enjoyed this easy to read book. I found the psychology aspects of the book insightful and interesting.
Kasia Mrowca
Sep 11, 2015 Kasia Mrowca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
I enjoyed this book :) Now I'm more aware of the mechanisms used in app/web/marketing to 'deceive' the customer ;)
Shenyu
Jan 23, 2016 Shenyu rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Lots of insights are included in this book, but it seems that some patterns introduced are not closely related to the main topic.
Carrie
Apr 10, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ue_tech
Generally good, although trying to tie merchandising principles to the seven deadly sins sometimes felt a little stretched and gimmicky.
Renze
Renze rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Joey
Joey rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Steve Sanderson
Steve Sanderson rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Barry Saunders
Barry Saunders rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Mohammad Shaker
Mohammad Shaker rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Marco
Marco rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Nuria Peña
Nuria Peña rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Mike Hill
Mike Hill rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Ryanne
Ryanne rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2015
Royukh
Royukh rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Will Klutch
Will Klutch rated it it was ok
May 31, 2014
Rebecca Baker
Rebecca Baker rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Jared Forney
Jared Forney rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Juliette
Juliette rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
David Sigerson
David Sigerson rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture