Start by marking “The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age: 2013 Edition” as Want to Read:

The authoritative guide to producing, directing, shooting, editing, and distributing your video or film
Widely acknowledged as the "bible" of video and film production, and used in courses around the world, "The Filmmaker's Handbook" is now updated with the latest advances in HD and new digital formats. For students and teachers, professionals and novices, this indispensab
Published November 1st 2012 by Plume Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Filmmaker's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Filmmaker's Handbook

Mike
May 10, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well it took most of the summer to read, but was well worth it. If you ever thought filmmaking was fairly straightforward, take a crack at this book. From pre to post-production, scheduling a shoot and which equipment to choose and why, lenses and filters and sound systems and editing platforms/techniques, blocking a concept all the way to marketing and distribution, this book has it all, in almost ridiculous detail. Highly technical but unpretentious and readable. As assigned readings go, this ...more
Myka
Mar 12, 2013 Myka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As most people have noted in their reviews, this is a reference book that feels a bit dated. However, it remains a useful introduction to the topic and had good tips for orienting a project. The technical information is perhaps the least relevant section of the book because this changes so quickly (as the authors surely knew) and so much of what's written no longer applies. Best read checked out from a library, borrowed from a friend, or bought at a used bookstore at a good price.
Amberly
Nov 15, 2016 Amberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best book a filmmaker can read. There's a reason why it's called the filmmakers bible!
J.
Jul 20, 2012 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This would be a great reference, if it weren't so dated. It needs to be gutted and reborn for the digital era, basically.

The information in this book is 1-2 decades out of sync with reality. All of the information about film stocks and analog editing is unnecessary, for example.

If you know absolutely NOTHING about the film making process, and get it used for next to nothing, there may be some beneficial stuff in there. I'd say that if someone didn't know anything about film making, just the int
David
Aug 24, 2009 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wealth of information. You won't could come away from it feeling completely proficient in any one of its many topics, but you'll certainly know a little bit about all of them.

I learned the most in the topics I'd not previously researched: processing and editing actual film stock. The subject of optical soundtracks was particularly interesting to me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the subject. The text is all highly relevant and current.
Laura Ann Tull
Not finished. I acquired this book for a film making class. I'm driven to do. the book is best for reference due to its length. I am finding also that the instructors at SMC are using different books now. I want to direct, edit, and not shoot per se. I think simplification for me is best. so I place this book unread completely on my read shelf where it stands as reference.
CD
A lot of information in one volume. Couldn't find an earlier copy I had, and glad I bought the latest version.

Lots of new data about HDTV, and updates of older still very important reference information.

You can also read my comments from Barnes and Noble at:

Filmmaker's Handbook
Jack
May 13, 2015 Jack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
Something to return to as a reference not to read straight through. Some good information, although as with many film books, everyone has their own way of doing things. Take note some information may be out of date, as with any reference book.
Lauren
Oct 29, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
Not quite as up-to-date as I would have liked (the edition I had was the 2004) but quite an interesting reference book. The section on Marketing was both fascinating and applicable.
Rachel
"the 'bible' of film and video production"... great stuff. I didn't read the book cover to cover, but it is a great reference and overview of video production from start to finish.
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 Belal Khan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must have resource for anyone interested in film. Outlines all necessary technical information from equipment of jargon.
Robert Ogden Buford
Robert Ogden Buford rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Chrisyphus
Chrisyphus rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2008
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Sarah Doyle
Sarah Doyle rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Tian He
Tian He rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Geoff Chapman
Geoff Chapman rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2007
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Dominique
Dominique rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Gluteos De Escandalo
Gluteos De Escandalo rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
jade marbell
jade marbell rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Kiran
Kiran rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2013
Lucas
Lucas rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Lisa Letchworth
Lisa Letchworth rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2008
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Griffin
Griffin rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • On Film Editing
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • A Short History of the Movies
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • In the Blink of an Eye
  • Directing Actors
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • The Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film