Start by marking “The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age: 2013 Edition” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  16 reviews

The authoritative guide to producing, directing, shooting, editing, and distributing your video or film
Widely acknowledged as the "bible" of video and film production, and used in courses around the world, "The Filmmaker's Handbook" is now updated with the latest advances in HD and new digital formats. For students and teachers, professionals and novices, this indispensab
Published November 1st 2012 by Plume Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Filmmaker's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Filmmaker's Handbook

Mike
Well it took most of the summer to read, but was well worth it. If you ever thought filmmaking was fairly straightforward, take a crack at this book. From pre to post-production, scheduling a shoot and which equipment to choose and why, lenses and filters and sound systems and editing platforms/techniques, blocking a concept all the way to marketing and distribution, this book has it all, in almost ridiculous detail. Highly technical but unpretentious and readable. As assigned readings go, this ...more
J.
This would be a great reference, if it weren't so dated. It needs to be gutted and reborn for the digital era, basically.

The information in this book is 1-2 decades out of sync with reality. All of the information about film stocks and analog editing is unnecessary, for example.

If you know absolutely NOTHING about the film making process, and get it used for next to nothing, there may be some beneficial stuff in there. I'd say that if someone didn't know anything about film making, just the int
Lesley
Finally sinking my teeth in with the 2013 edition. Self-teaching, for the win.
David
This book is a wealth of information. You won't could come away from it feeling completely proficient in any one of its many topics, but you'll certainly know a little bit about all of them.

I learned the most in the topics I'd not previously researched: processing and editing actual film stock. The subject of optical soundtracks was particularly interesting to me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the subject. The text is all highly relevant and current.
Myka
As most people have noted in their reviews, this is a reference book that feels a bit dated. However, it remains a useful introduction to the topic and had good tips for orienting a project. The technical information is perhaps the least relevant section of the book because this changes so quickly (as the authors surely knew) and so much of what's written no longer applies. Best read checked out from a library, borrowed from a friend, or bought at a used bookstore at a good price.
Laura Ann Tull
Not finished. I acquired this book for a film making class. I'm driven to do. the book is best for reference due to its length. I am finding also that the instructors at SMC are using different books now. I want to direct, edit, and not shoot per se. I think simplification for me is best. so I place this book unread completely on my read shelf where it stands as reference.
CD
A lot of information in one volume. Couldn't find an earlier copy I had, and glad I bought the latest version.

Lots of new data about HDTV, and updates of older still very important reference information.

You can also read my comments from Barnes and Noble at:

Filmmaker's Handbook
Lauren
Not quite as up-to-date as I would have liked (the edition I had was the 2004) but quite an interesting reference book. The section on Marketing was both fascinating and applicable.
Rachel
"the 'bible' of film and video production"... great stuff. I didn't read the book cover to cover, but it is a great reference and overview of video production from start to finish.
Alan
I bought this because my boss recommended it. I think it was a good read, but most of the useful information is on wikipedia.
Belal Khan
A must have resource for anyone interested in film. Outlines all necessary technical information from equipment of jargon.
Justin Hall
Very great supplement to an education. Thorough and easy to follow. Covers everything generally.
Jacob
It's a text book for me and it's freaking awesome!
Kiran
It will be useful to improve the knowledge in film making.
Justin
If I wanted to read an instruction manual... I'd read this.
Xiddi Abhi
Xiddi Abhi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Erick Romero
Erick Romero is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Dan
Dan added it
Jan 20, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Shoban
Shoban marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Fikri Atjeh
Fikri Atjeh marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Shreyansh Sharma
Shreyansh Sharma marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Joe Soria
Joe Soria marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Mayowa
Mayowa added it
Jan 09, 2015
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • A Short History of the Movies
  • In the Blink of an Eye
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • On Film Editing
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
  • Directing Actors
  • The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap
  • Cinematography for Directors: A Guide for Creative Collaboration
  • Rebel Without a Crew, or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
  • On Directing Film