Start by marking “Screw Business as Usual” as Want to Read:
Screw Business as Usual

Screw Business as Usual

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  600 ratings  ·  74 reviews
RICHARD BRANSON, one of the world's most famous and admired business leaders, argues that it's time to turn capitalism upside down-to shift our values from an exclusive focus on profit to also caring for people, communities and the planet
As he writes:
"It's a vibrant and definite sea change from the way business was always done, when financial profit was a driving force....more
Published December 1st 2011 by Portfolio (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Screw Business as Usual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screw Business as Usual

Kim Pallister
I'm a big Richard Branson fan-boy, and really liked his first book, Losing My Virginity (which I highly recommend). Since then, I've given a few of his other books a try. I gave Screw Business as Usual a try this week. It was very quick to get through so I thought I'd post a short review.

The book is about the idea that capitalism can, in addition to pursuing the goal of making money, attempt to do good.

On the plus side, it covers a number of interesting cases, some of which are Virgin enterpri...more
Cathy Allen
I admit it - I love Richard Branson. Always have. His fresh approach to everything is inspiring. His courage, ability to overcome odds, masterful entrepreneurship, and team-building skill earned him billions. He seems to move through life like a chess grand master moves across his board. Except that Branson is having more fun.

So now comes Sir Richard with a critique of modern business practices that only he could produce. In exhorting readers to "Screw Business as Usual" Branson is calling upon...more
Sealove
Excellent!

Bravo Richard! It is these type of ideas that truly bring about change. But not just change for the sake of it… Real change and real passion to see a different tomorrow than the one we are experiencing today. The idea of the elders and the business leaders is one who's time has come… And if each of us will take one step, we will all move closer to reality that includes us all. Not just the ones were well-off, and not just the ones who can speak with the loudest voices. This book is abo...more
Daniel G.
In the old days, it was enough for entrepreneurs to spend half their life making money and the other half giving it away. But the business game has changed. Now, to succeed, you need to make a profit as you do good.

Richard Branson introduces the idea of Capitalism 24902 (the distance in miles of the circumference of the earth) and tells story after story of businesses that have at their heart the concept of doing good. You need to accept the global reality of business and thus the need for leade...more
Russ King
This book is as inspiring as it is irritating. It's like swimming through thick treacle a lot of the time but there are enough inspirational ideas and case studies to make it worthwhile. Branson mentions how wonderful Virgin is at least three times every page which gets a tad tedious and I would have liked more details about some of the examples from other organisations.

However, Branson's enthusiasm comes through like a blazing sun and he has an impressive record of results with organisations th...more
Susan
This book was good and I think challenging in terms of the ideas presented. However with all of the examples branson uses, there is no shortage of inspiration for doing good for society, and the environment while also benefiting your businesses. I actually feel quite excited after finishing this book and while reading it.
Sometimes though i found the writing annoying because Branson is very like this is how it is and how it should be for everyone. But in saying that I felt like he had quite a br...more
Russell Turner
An inspirational look at how businesses large and small are coming to realise that it is possible to operate sustainably, ethically, make a healthy profit (in a lot of cases increase profits) while simultaneously protecting and/or improving the environment. It is full of examples of how capitalism and entrepreneurship can create win-win situations and can change / save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.
And as many of the examples in the book serve to illustrate, those busin...more
Andrew
This made me very cynical. There's nothing worse than reading about rich white guys extolling business ethics to reach untapped markets, no matter how positive a spin is placed on it.

FYI: the fact that you can access a Coca Cola in even the poorest of the poor or third world locations is NOT a marvel, when pharma extort the masses.

Capitalism doesn't need turning upside down. It needs honest people running honest business, not rich do-gooders running around exploiting untapped third world markets...more
Sandy
Awesome book! I chose the audio book and it was narrated by Richard himself. He has such a great outlook on life which shows in his outlook of business, community and environment.

He starts off by talking about how he got started; how he learned at an early age the power of communication. He discusses some specific businesses and business models who have looked at 'community' with as much importance as profit. He has joined with many people - celebrities, politicians, world leaders and business...more
Chris
Richard Branson is quite an amazing character in everything he has done. I had never really looked into his life before reading this one and I was quite impressed with how he got started. A simple endeavor that allowed him to voice his opinions but also show the world important causes that needed attention. From a simple student run magazine, he was able to build an entire empire from that.

The contents of this book are one that will inspire others to work towards a global good in their companies...more
Indiabookstore
That's 2.5 stars actually.

Screw ‘Business As Usual’ is the 372 page outcome of the awakened social responsibility in the ever energetic entrepreneur, Richard Branson. Branson emphasizes here on how ‘doing good is good for businesses’. He not only asserts so but also justifies his words by giving many examples. He also warns people who do business solely for profits that they would cease to exist in the long run.

In the preface, Branson’s house in his private island was burnt down by Hurricane Ire...more
Hector Hernandez
Without doubt, Richard Branson accomplishes to gather business foundations with new ways of doing business more sustainable in a 360 dimension, all this with the demonstration cases of success of entrepreneurs who are pioneering in that way. (Environmental and social) Two quotes that might summary the book: 1) Doing good is good for business 2) Never accept the unacceptable

However, I enjoyed very much the personality of Branson. He shows to be smooth and courageous person at the same time, perse...more
Edward Wong
This is the third book I read that was written by Richard Branson. From the playful title I was expected for his sharing of some interesting while innovative ideas in starting up or running businesses but it turns out I was wrong. Yes, it does talk about business management and operations but not the way I expected.

I was slightly disappointed in how the book was written. it is fairly an one side story. Almost all of the cases talked about were related to what have been done in the Virgin Group o...more
Oliveoyl306
I found the book inspiring on the one hand as Branson's way of doing business so that everyone wins (including the environment) seems to me to be the way to go. But I found it also a little frustrating as I am not in business and have no money to invest in 'green' companies. Great book for business people looking for a way to improve the way they do business.
Kate Happenence
It’s not often that the first thought I have on finishing a book it that I have to read it again.

When I was in my second year of University, I did a module on global warming. It was the last lecture on a Thursday afternoon and I’d cycle home feeling depressed. The lecturer was a cheerful bouncy young man who was keen to be there. He was easy to listen to and I looked forward to sitting in the lectures genuinely being interested in what I was hearing. The content however was enough to knock me i...more
Nick Grant
Bransons book aren't to bad. This was my second Branson read. He covers a lot of different ideas around socially responsible business which is a great angle, but you can't help but feel the entire read that of course it is easy for him to think like that with billions backing him.
Georgev
It was very distracting hearing the sound of RB patting himself on the back at every turn of a page. The book is basically a public relations sticker. Yes, I am happy to see a person of his vast wealth involved in so many philanthropic and sustainable business actions. How a bout a little grace and turning down the horn toots a tad. I guess it wasn't what I was looking for. I have been invested in sustainable seeking corporations for decades so.. Didn't the BeeGees give millions starting way bac...more
Aku
Till the time I read this book, all I knew about making money was, "work, earn, spend & enjoy." Although I have been told to invest a portion of my rewards back in to developing myself & the world, Branson showed me through this book what can be done.

This book melded well with the abundance mentality advocated by Stephen R. Covey which I was working on making a part of my character. While I was thinking that I needed to compete, & put other people down to succeed, this book served as...more
Laurie Clark
eh. Enjoyed the beginning, but it became a name dropping fest. He warned about his tendency in the beginning, but it was so much that I just had to put the book down.
Myke

Good read if slightly repetative in it's format. But insipres one to think in a positive way. If thinking about a new business or running you own business it a definitly worht a read.
Catherine Mong'ina
This book has shed a new light to the real meaning of "Social Entrepreneurship"
Ian
The book is essentially a publicity piece for Virgin Unite, Branson sustainability organization but the book, which extols Capitalism 24902, his name for tasking a more social entrepreneurial approach to solving the major world problems from staunching climate change to lifting developing nations out of poverty, is full of inspiring stories and people that more than make up for that. A recommended read and hopefully the start of more books exploring this way of thinking and celebrating success i...more
Readerbug
Jul 30, 2014 Readerbug marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Felipe
Good read. It is a great introduction to how companies and organizations should think green and change their methods to a socially responsible way... green way of doing things and, overall, a change in the way things are done, for the better of the planet and everything on it.

At some parts, the book is a bit monotonous. But, in general is a book I'd recommend to anyone interested in social responsibility, Virgin group companies and actions, Richard Branson's life and green thinking.
Dennis
I really enjoyed this book; at times, it brought me almost to tears. I dislike the title because it creates a disincentive to read it; it seems to inspire a flippancy which is decidedly not present. Once I was into it, however, I realized that "screw it" is a Branson brand, albeit an unfortunate one. He makes an excellent case for business being a powerful force for human development and the health of the Earth. Good examples are out there, and Branson reviews them to good effect.
Ryan_hg
How we can all contribute for a better world thru entrepreneurship... Open up your mind to a new dimension of doing business
Blake Kanewischer
This lightweight screed reflects the holistic attitude towards business that Richard Branson supposedly has. Not having had the opportunity to experience Virgin service myself, I can't judge that claim. The supreme irony in the book for me is that Branson inadvertently pops his own bubble more than once with casual references to his private island or to the people who populate his world. It's a breezy read, but don't expect much from it.
Phil
Big picture and message is 100% on the money, but I found the writing, constant name dropping and general style of the book so irritating that I have just abandoned it 2/3 of the way through.

There is also an apparent contradiction between his own lifestyle - which sounds quite carbon intensive - and the message he is preaching.

Difficult to come up with a rating, gave it 3 for strength of message, but on the generous side.
Robert
I'm a big Richard Branson fan and this book was a great illustration of people and businesses saying "screw business as usual" and doing something different. Branson is advocating putting less focus on profit and more focus on doing good, on doing what is right and just and that if you do that, profits will follow. In the book he details examples of people all over the world, including himself, who are doing just this.
Adriyan Achda
screw business as usual. berbuat baik dalam bisnis itu baik. penulis yang pengusaha super besar pemilik Virgin Group menceritakan pengalaman dan kisahnya bersama pengusaha2 lain dan tokoh2 dunia dalam memaksimalkan entrepeneur untuk mengatasi masalah2 sosial. bahwa bisnis bukan hanya untuk mencari keuntungan semata bagi pemegang saham, tapi juga ikut menyelamatkan bumi dan manusianya untuk kehidupan yang lebih baik.
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21st Century
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
  • Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
  • The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late
  • Leadership 2.0
  • Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity
  • Midas Touch: Why Some Entrepreneurs Get Rich-And Why Most Don't
  • What You're Really Meant to Do
  • Different: Escaping the Competitive Herd
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson is an English business magnate, best known for his Virgin brand of over 360 companies. Branson's first successful business venture was at age 16, when he published a magazine called Student. He then set up a record mail-order business in 1970. In 1972, he opened a chain of record stores, Virgin Records, later known as Virgin Megastores and rebranded as zavvi in...more
More about Richard Branson...
Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life Business Stripped Bare: Adventures of a Global Entrepreneur Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won't Teach You at Business School Sir Richard Branson: The Autobiography (Penguin Readers (Graded Readers))