Start by marking “The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul” as Want to Read:
The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul

The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul

A groundbreaking exploration of the spiritual dimension of working with the enneagram by one of its earliest students and teachers in America.
Here is one of the first books to explore in an authentic and comprehensive way the original spiritual dimension of the enneagram. Among the most knowledgeable teachers of the enneagram in America, Sandra Maitri shows how the enneag
Published March 1st 2000 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram

Miranda
Nov 22, 2007 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
this book will kick your butt but is very accurate. eerily so. don't read it if you're already feeling down
Jenny
Dec 30, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Enneagram who has a spiritual bent. This book was incredibly helpful to me and one that I will return to many times. The depth and specificity with which the author explores the psychological behavior of the different types was really impressive to me. The chapter on my type was pitch perfect and the book as a whole was a real eye opener in many ways. I really am so glad I read it.
Caroline
Jun 05, 2007 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the self aware or those who want to be
i quite love this book. it is a great intro to the enneagram which dives really deep into the topic and goes beyond reductionistic models and really gets to the heart of the matter. for those wishing to really get into it, this is your book. a classic i have returned to many times.
Anne Van
Definitely interesting and thought provoking......a description of nine basic personality types (I'm so Type Seven, I immediately loved it as a system!). A look at both internal dynamics, and how others might see you.
Bridgett
I really enjoyed the spiritual angle of this book, which resembles Buddhism a bit to me. I really identified with a lot of the spiritual struggles described for the different enneagram types. The book also helped me figure out which enneagram type I most connect with (4).
Saiisha
Feb 25, 2016 Saiisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard the word Enneagram before but I picked up the book because I liked the second half of the title: "Nine Faces of the Soul" which intrigued me. Although the concept of an enneagram is new to me, I felt very comfortable reading the book, because it's very much in alignment with my own inner understanding of a soul's evolution. Sandra Maitri goes into thorough detail about the descriptions of each "face" of the soul, and I appreciated that!

The reason I'm giving it a 4 stars and not
Barbara
Jun 16, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enneagram
This book is very nuanced. It brings greater depth and clarity to the psychological and spiritual structures of the enneatypes than Riso & Hudson and Palmer & Daniels books - which are more key for understanding what the Enneagram of personality is as a system. This book has influenced my perspective on the similarities between the types based on the interconnectedness and wholeness of the basic needs (passions and fixations) of each type, as well as their essences and virtues. Its a bea ...more
Roben
Apr 25, 2015 Roben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a personal eye opener. I will turn to it many times as I've found this to be the best out there on the study of enneagrams. Indispensable but tough personal work is available in these pages.
Brooke Warner
Feb 02, 2008 Brooke Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an enneagram junkie. This is the best book out there on the subject, in my opinion. I've read a lot of them.
Tiffany
It took me four tries to get through this book ... over a period of five years. Each time a got a little closer, and it wasn't until I had a daily meditation practice and began to finally sit still, that I became the right type of reader to read it. Before then, I didn't have a clue what I was reading.

When a book makes you think about everything you see and do and want and hope for differently, you know it's powerful. What's apparent to me is that I don't need to read a lot more in my life, tha
Aidan Owen
This is the best book I have found on the Enneagram. It goes far beyond a simple description of the behaviors of each of the nine types, and instead outlines how each type's behaviors and attitudes are ways of trying to imitate a particular kind of loss of connection with the divine. A combination of depth psychology and contemplative spirituality, Maitri's book is a powerful guide to spiritual growth and development. The book's framework does use a lot of new-age language, but I found it pretty ...more
J. E. W.
Dec 10, 2015 J. E. W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the absolute best Enneagram book I have read thus far. There are so many Enneagram books on the market that focus too much on the stereotypical behaviors, whereas Maitri takes you deeper, straight to the core.

I kept an open mind while reading through it, since it took me on such a soul-searching journey, which ended with me closing the book in tears. I finally 'got' it. I 'understood' it.

I found me.

Now the work begins through my journey of self-revelation, back to my true Being.
Mar 28, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enneagram
I'm pretty excited to be reading this in Spanish. I'm learning a lot of new words and more sophisticated phrasing. The amazingness of the Enneagram is of course apparent and I'm also learning new things about the spiritual aspect of the Enneagram. This is indeed a good complement to A.H. Almaas's Facets of Unity: The Diamond Approach to the Enneagram, although I have the feeling Maitri's book will be easier to understand than Facets, with more layman's terms.
Celia
Jan 19, 2012 Celia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about the psychological underpinnings about each type (and found it a hoot to have their be so many references to my beloved psychodynamic texts from grad school- Greenberg & Mitchell, Karen Horney, Margaret Mathler) especially given the title of THIS book. At times I found it a little dour to read about each type's godawful plight in life. I wouldn't recommend Ennea-fans starting with this book, but it's a great supplement.
Willa
Aug 21, 2010 Willa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maitri gives a deeply felt impression of the various Enneagram types, which is helpful to use next to Riso and Hudson. However although I think the Enneagram system is brilliant as a typology, I believe it is overrated as a spiritual path or tool.
Annette
Jan 31, 2013 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
If you're ready to leave popular understanding of the enneagram on the cutting room floor and go for its essence and depth, this book is for you. Maitri explores the spiritual development possibilities of working with this profound tool.
Ron
Aug 02, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who find the enneagram useful and are interested in learning more this is a good book. Maitri has done a lot of work in the enneagram and helps to expand one's understanding of it - and if lucky - of oneself.
Liz
Feb 14, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a provocative book I have been dipping into the last several months. It's not for the beginner -
I needed a more basic book to start. Certainly found some uncomfortable truths about my and others' vices and virtues.
Jennifer Louden
Closer to 4 stars (I hate rating books) and while I learned a few new insights into the Enneagram, I also felt her tone at times was a bit dire. Do not start with this if you do not know the Enneagram but good if you don't understand subtypes or the inner child angle.
Cianna Stewart
Nov 30, 2013 Cianna Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This one kicked my butt. Maitri reaches deep into the underlying lack and suffering of each ennea-type. I definitely recommend it for those who are looking for a deeper understanding and spiritual path when it comes to working with the enneagram.
Arrion
Nov 20, 2009 Arrion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who know about the Enneagram, this takes the subject beyond Ego and back to the system's original purpose
Weezie
Apr 15, 2013 Weezie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true eye-opener that will stay within my grasp for years to come. It's a MUST READ for anyone seeking to "return to themselves." Written with love and beautifully!
Zom Osborne
Jun 05, 2015 Zom Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing. Not an introduction or a beginner's book. You need some experience of the enneagram to understand it.
Lynne
Jan 29, 2012 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just re-reading this book and finding it very helpful in exploring ways of transformation that make use of the Enneagram. Particularly good on Holy Idea and Fixation.
Kat
Feb 28, 2008 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more spiritual look at the scientific enneagram. Can get a bit heady at times.
Julie
Aug 13, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Enneagram book more focused on spiritual development than on identifying types. It helps to have some familiarity with the Enneagram before diving in, but it's a fascinating read.
Kiena
Dec 05, 2016 Kiena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much for the casual reader

As a casual dabbler this book was too detailed for me. I would recommend it for those truly studying the topic.
Wendy
Mar 31, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enneagram
In depth exploration of inner workings of the types, and their connection to humanity.
Victor
Mar 31, 2013 Victor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, but not for novices working with the enneagram.
Beth
Beth rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2012
  • Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas
  • The Enneagram in Love and Work: Understanding Your Intimate and Business Relationships
  • The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types
  • The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective
  • Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships
  • Are You My Type, Am I Yours? Relationships Made Easy Through the Enneagram
  • Ravaged Bridegroom: Masculinity in Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 41)
  • The Essential Enneagram
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate
  • Soul Without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge Within
  • Inner Life
  • Archetypal Patterns in Fairy Tales (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 76)
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • The Sufi Book of Life: 99 Pathways of the Heart for the Modern Dervish