Start by marking “One” as Want to Read:
One

One

A dystopian novel set in a perversely benevolent future in which an attempt is made to remould the identity of a so-called heretic, Professor Burden, who had, up until then, regarded himself as a loyal citizen of the State.
Published 1960 by Penguin (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One

Faten Eassa
Oct 25, 2009 Faten Eassa rated it it was amazing
I've read this book in the late eighties and was fascinated by it. It was recommended to me by my father who gave it to me from his bookshelf. It's a Penguin publication but it's almost impossible to find today even if you write the writer's name, his modern books would appear on the net but not 'One' which is the only fiction and one of the rare books of analysis of how the world would be if dictatorship and brainwash were to rule the world. It is one of the books that stand equal to 1984 but ...more
Mawgojzeta
Apr 10, 2012 Mawgojzeta rated it it was amazing
A wonderful find for me. I place it up at the top of my extreme dystopian novel favorites, along with We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Although they each present a different future, the attention to detail and the authors' ability to fully immerse a person into their world, are equal. In this novel, a man who truly believes he is active member of his benevolent state, is found guilty of heresy. The majority of the novel deals with his re-education.
Jim
Aug 15, 2007 Jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has read 1984, Brave New World and We
Shelves: read-sci-fi
It has never ceased to amaze me that this excellent book has failed to garner the same praise as other dystopian novels. It's out of print but well worth seeking out.
Philip
Dec 30, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing
Brilliant - right up there with 1984 and Fahrenheit 451.
Corky Ringspot
Apr 04, 2016 Corky Ringspot rated it liked it
The three stars are an indication of my enjoyment of the book rather than of its objective qualities. It may be very good, in its way - I find it difficult to tell. My edition (Penguin) has 220 pages. I read it in two sessions - the first session (102 pages) took about two hours, the second three. It's well written, intelligent, engrossing for a while, but I felt I knew what was going to happen, and I was right. One or two twists and turns, but there were no real surprises. Not my sort of book, ...more
Steve Sanderson
Feb 08, 2012 Steve Sanderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopias
Back in print, this is an American dystopia worth checking out. It's more mild and slow moving, introspective than 1984 (written four years earlier). Yet because we live outside of the protagonist's head we see the dread circumstances he will witness well before they come to pass.

Absolutely recommended for dystopia fans!
Mikee
Jan 02, 2011 Mikee rated it really liked it
This book was written in 1953. I first read it some 20 or 30 years ago. I noticed it on my bookshelf a few days ago and decided to give it another try. It is truly moving, if a bit dated in style. It's a 1984-type book, but different Memorable.
Robert Pizzo
Jul 03, 2013 Robert Pizzo rated it it was amazing
My mother gave me this book to read one summer when I was about 13. I never forgot it, tracked it down on eBay a few years ago and re-read it. It was just as riveting the second time around. And very appropriate today.
Chris
Feb 18, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian-novels
If you liked watching the old episodes of the Twilight Zone, you'll love this book. Up there with 1984 & Brave New World.
Myk
Nov 02, 2013 Myk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
I liked this story, but I wanted to see more of the world it was taking place in. Not as dark as 1984 or shiny like Brave New World.
Nath
Nath rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2012
R.K. Cowles
R.K. Cowles rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Robert Parmenter
Robert Parmenter rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Johnny
Johnny rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
みのり
みのり rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2011
H
H rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Luke Forder
Luke Forder rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
meandermind
meandermind rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Adam Jonovski
Adam Jonovski rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2014
Herr Braxwall
Herr Braxwall rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Vuk_memar
Vuk_memar rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
read
read rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2008
Seth
Seth rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Leo Nordwall
Leo Nordwall rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2007
Katherine O'sullivan
Katherine O'sullivan rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2016
Harry W.
Harry W. rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2012
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Limbo
  • This Time of Darkness
  • The Webs of Everywhere
  • Souls in the Great Machine (Greatwinter Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beyond
  • Drowning Towers
  • The Long Winter
  • The Devil's Children (The Changes Trilogy)
  • Exponential Apocalypse