Shutterbug Follies: Graphic Novel

Shutterbug Follies: Graphic Novel

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Bee works as a photo-finishing technician at a one-hour lab in lower Manhattan. To amuse herself, she duplicates (for her own collection) any titillating photographs that happen to pass through her hands. When pictures of a naked corpse are left for processing, Bee's curiosity goes into high gear."Shutterbug Follies" is a comic murder mystery filled with unlikely coinciden...more
Published October 8th 2002 by Doubleday

Eve
Totally surprised that at the end of the book Raina Telgemeier was credited with many of the backdrop illustrations. She is everywhere! Great mystery, and amazing illustrations that lended themselves to the macabe. If you're okay with that, then you'll like it. Loved the urban feel of the neighborhood too, and that the protagonist was a fleshy, pear-shaped woman. It's the little things that count.
Sam Quixote
Set in 2001, Bee is a young Manhattanite working in a photo-processing shop (remember those?) and, among the usual hum-drum photos of birthday parties and babies, she comes across some lurid photos of recently deceased people. The Russian photographer who took them claims they are staged and not actual dead people but Bee’s curiosity is piqued and she decides to follow him… with startling results! Part Tintin, part “Ghost World” in tone, Jason Little’s “Shutterbug Follies” presents a whimsical v...more
Fred
I think Jason Little is a gifted artist, but I don't see anything to here to suggest he's also a gifted storyteller. Characters acting in the most unbelievable ways, a mystery with a perfunctory and therefore unsatisfying end, and even in 2002 I'm sure the concept of a photo development shop employee solving clues through negatives would have seem weirdly dated. Where, after all, are the digital cameras?
Lisa
Such great drawings! I love the main character. I love the little mystery. And I love NY. I miss the days of regular old film cameras. So charming.
Great art, okay story.
Thales Exoo
Don't kill people.
Penelope
Entertaining and suspenseful. I read this after reading Little's newer book, and his improvement is pretty obvious (kind of cool to see how his artwork has evolved). The layout of this book is also more simplistic and less interesting. It gets the job done though.

The story itself is a grotesque murder mystery type deal. A quick, engaging read with interesting characters. Sometimes a little too "out there". The murder mystery wasn't even the unbelievable part, but some of Bee's actions and the ac...more
Dara Naraghi
This was a fun little caper, with a mystery that grabs your attention, and a female protagonist who is interesting in her eccentricities and single-mindedness. Bee is just out of high school, a self-proclaimed artist, and somewhat of a snoop. She becomes intrigued by a photo artist whose oeuvre is realistic portraits of crime scenes...except that she thinks there's more to his story than meets the eye. Despite some outlandish plot twists, I found myself caught up in the mystery. The ending was a...more
Adam
Like any good nerd, I utilize the services provided by the local library. On my way home from work I often stop by to claim holds I've placed on various cds, books, and the occasional LP. Before grabbing a couple of Pavement and Daniel Johnston records, I hopped on over to the graphic novel section to see if anything was new. I've picked over that section many times, as I used to work in a parking garage nearby and the slow slow hours I spent there were temporarily relieved by purchases/borrowin...more
Mike
Good writers can pull of stories wherein fantastic things happen without my thinking, "Actual human beings do not behave like that" ... which is exactly what I was thinking for the last eighty percent of this book."

There was one scene that particularly bothered me, wherein a male photographer shows his work to the female protagonist. The photos were surreptitious shots of nude/semi-clothed people in their homes -- peeping tom stuff under the guise of art, basically. It felt like the protagonist...more
James
Murder mystery graphic novel set in the days of film development and pager codes. The story line is graphic (so mature in subject matter) but lacking in sophistication.

The main character, Bee works in a one hour photo booth developing film. She uncovers pictures of a murder and begins to investigate. Unfortunately she is drawn in and her life is threatened by the murderer. She is saved by her wits, her use of pager codes, and her cab-driver friend who sends the Calvary to her rescue.

Entertaini...more
Paul
I've been reading the amusing and quirky Motel Art Improvement Service weekly comic on Jason Little's site for a few months now. Digging through his other work a while ago I found a teaser for his book Shutterbug Follies. Luckily I found this book in my local library the other day and scooped it up. It's a short story about a young woman who while working at a photo-lab uncovers a mystery that she can't resist investigating. Little has a great drawing style (and loves to use dramatic punchy colo...more
Becky
Jul 02, 2007 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: adults, older teens
I thought this was a rip-roaring good murder mystery! In this graphic novel, Bee works at a photo lab (I always wondered what those workers think of people's photos!), and comes across some scary photos of corpses (beware, there is nudity and gore in these pictures). She decides to investigate, and what she finds is much more than she anticipated! She ends up at the library researching prescription pills, not to mention outwitting the Russian mob!

I liked the great camera angles and use of vibran...more
Timothy
The art in Shutterbug Follies is outstanding -- an unusual observation for me, as I normally judge graphic novels based solely on the writing.

In this case, my appreciation of the "graphic" part of the graphic novel is aided by the fact that the "novel" part is extraordinarily well done. Noirish without being simply dark (a pitfall all too common, particularly amongst noir comix), the adventures of a photo shop clerk who winds up far in over her head is both entertaining and intriguing, presentin...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/573847.html[return][return]Nice little graphic novel about a girl who discovers disturbing things while working in a photography shop developing films. New York and the characters of the city are nicely portrayed. The plot, however, was rather cliched and improbable: at one point our heroine, Bee, is asked by her friend "So, uh, when are you going to call the cops?" The answer is, not just yet as we are only on page 25 out of 150... Still, good fun, if not exactly grea...more
Raina
SO fun. Definitely my new favorite graphic novelist discovery. I wish TRL had more of his stuff. Totally accessible illustration style with awesome saturated color assisted by my girl Raina Telgemeier. I used to love Nancy Drew mysteries, so this was right up my alley. NYC girl develops film for a living - discovers a horrible secret about a local famous artist. Lots of crime closeups, nudity, action. Fast fun lush read.
Richard
This graphic novel was a solid little murder mystery. As with 'Motel Art Improvement Society', Jason Little did a good job of developing the characters and showing their interactions.

The art style is realistic with somewhat non-idealized characters, and this is definitely something that I find interesting.

But I think 'Motel Art Improvement Society' had a slightly stronger story.
Joshua
Lunchtime read of a graphic novel by Jason Little. Lots of photograph and negative action--which is what caught my eye as a young photo lab technician gets caught in a dangerous web of one of the lab's customers. He seems to be photographing murder victims in the name of art while also involved in their actual murder. Will she crack the case without being a photographed corpse?
Artur Coelho
Se o enredo desta obra não é particularmente fascinante, andando às voltas com um certo voyeurismo, crimes e lojas de revelação fotográfica, é na ilustração que Shutterbug Follies encanta. Desenhado num misto de linha clara de Hergé com o urbanismo de Daniel Clowes ou Adrian Tomine, esta obra agarra pela sua qualidade estética.
Robert
An excellent graphic novel murder mystery filled with hipsters, russian mobsters, crazy cab drivers and a fun exploration into how we all like to look into the lives of strangers. Plus...some deeply disturbing photographs (or at least disturbing drawing of photographs). Wonderful and horrible (in a good cringe worthy kind of way).
Matt
Another also-ran, this one never quite lives up to the promise of its opening, when main character Bee plays go fish with pictures she takes from her photo developing job. There are lots of balls up in the air here, but few of them play any significant role in the finale. Not as good as it should be, I thought.
HeavyReader
Jun 26, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: photo processers and mystery lovers
This is one of the first comics that I was ever attracted to.

I like the details included in the art and its vivid colors.

The story was really good too--a murder mystery and a spunky young woman who sets out to solve it.

I enjoyed this one a lot.
Mel
Barry
Yea, suspenseful and kinda fun, but also pretty bland. To be fair, though, I've never been one for nifty mysteries. Conversely, of all of the comics' elements, the setting is probably the best: I could feel a lived-in NYC while reading this.
Carol
Jun 27, 2007 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Adults and older teens
An 18 year old photo lab employee spots some photos that convince her a serious crime has been committed and she investigates. This graphic novel has very graphic violence depicted (CSI style). Once you pick it up, you'll finish it on the spot.
Jeremy
I really liked this. A good old-fashioned, Encyclopedia Brown type comic with a cute protagonist and little more on its mind than spinning a straightfoward but exciting yarn. Just fun.

Calling stories "yarns" is extremely relaxing.
Dave Riley
Love the way it is illustrated. A sort of digital Tin Tin. But the dialogue is lame and the story is a sort of Girls' Own adventure.For adolescents, it may register...Among its good bits there is a lot of promise nonetheless.
Sara
Fun and well-done; the colors are great. The ending was strangely abrupt and sad given the rest of the graphic novel; it threw me off the mood and lost this a star. But it was still worth reading.
Blake Norby
It was a fine story, nothing too interesting or out of the ordinary. A bit too many boobs for my taste, but that seems to be popular in the graphic novel genre.
Candy Sparks
This book reminded me of the Tin Tin Adventures I used to read as a child. It was cute and worth the quick read!
  • The Adventures of Sock Monkey
  • You'll Never Know, Vol. 1: A Good and Decent Man
  • My Brain is Hanging Upside Down
  • The Best American Comics 2008
  • Copper
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec: Pterror Over Paris / The Eiffel Tower Demon
  • Tricked
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 4
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • New X-Men, Vol. 5: Assault on Weapon Plus
  • I Love Led Zeppelin
  • Absolute Promethea 1
Motel Art Improvement Service GN Jack's Luck Runs Out Lean Change: Evolving Change Management Dungeon Crawl Classics #30: Vault of the Dragon Kings How To Build DIY Solar Energy