Mankind: The Story of All of Us

Mankind: The Story of All of Us

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  10 reviews

A companion book to the History Channel series, "The History of Mankind" covers the worldwide history of human beings.
Published October 1st 2012 by Running Press Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mankind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mankind

Andi Kuncoro
This is our story, our legacy. After I read this book, I realize that we do not inherit our civilization from our ancestor, unless we borrow it from our children.
Jennifer Bieniek
Can't get enough of this book! The story itself plus the sidebars are truly fascinating. A must-have for any history buff!
Tara
I have a confession to make. I think I've forgotten about 95% of all the information I learned during history classes in school. That's why I decided to read this book, but it didn't help much. The chapters are somewhat disjointed and rely on previous knowledge of the subject. I think this book is definitely better than others covering the same broad scope of history, but it wasn't a good fit for me.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
This is a fascinating series running currently on The History Channel. My daughter and I are addicted. The book is a great companion - and we've been reading pieces as we go along. It provides more depth to what is shown in the series - and it's the kind of book that you can pick up and read parts without any issue. There are lots of pictures. It is not dry at all and was a great purchase!
Eric Zulueta
A very interesting - and quite readable - book on the history of the world. The author follows the same tact as the tv series with more information in the form of sidebars thrown in..

The book deals with links between events - so those looking for huge sections dealing with the world wars will be sorely disappointed. :)

Highly recommended!
David
May 28, 2013 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Carina
I watched the series then read the book. The book does a better job at explaining the historical significance of the side stories.
William
Very informational book, but also very interesting. Over all, it's excellent!
Lana
Great book! Movie is terrific as well.
Autum Bui
Autum Bui is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Dirk Basson
Dirk Basson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jay Coggeshall
Jay Coggeshall is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Kacey
Kacey is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Judie
Judie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Megan Reichelt
Megan Reichelt marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Ivor
Ivor marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I'm an academic renegade

The first day of my PhD program at University of Chicago, my advisor said, "You know there are no jobs, right?" I knew, but I didn't care. I wanted to write about history for a broader audience than the other five people interested in my dissertation topic. I wanted to write for history buffs and nerdy kids and the general intelligent reader. (That would be you, right?)

Offi...more
More about Pamela D. Toler...
The Everything Guide To Understanding Socialism: The Political, Social, And Economic Concepts Behind This Complex Theory (Everything Series) The Everything Guide to Understanding Socialism: The political, social, and economic concepts behind this complex theory (Everything®) Matt Damon The Everything Guide to Understanding Socialism: Get to Know Enchanted Princesses, Fairies, and Majestic Horses Causes of the War of 1812