Start by marking “Lair” as Want to Read:
Lair

Lair (Rats #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  2,935 ratings  ·  74 reviews
REMEMBER WITH FEAR . . . The mutant white rat had grown and mated, creating offspring in its own image. They dominated the others, the dark-furred ones, who foraged for food and brought it back to The Lair. Now the dark rats were restless, tormented by a craving they could not satisfy. But the white slug-like thing that ruled them knew. Its two heads weaved to and fro and ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Pan Books (UK) (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Lair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lair

David Brian
LAIR follows on from James Herbert's early bestseller THE RATS, and in some ways it is just more of the same. That being said, personally I thought this was an even better book than THE RATS.

A few years after the earlier outbreak, a new plague of rats begins to run amok, this time in the Epping Forest. It falls to a rodent control expert named Pender, to try and incite 'the powers that be' into taking an early and proactive action against the marauding animals.

The carnage doesn't start immediat
Andy
Lair is about what you would expect from your average sequel. The plot is bigger and badder, but the overall gist of the action remains the same. There were new characters and a few allusions to old ones. Except for a few especially intense or creative moment, I felt like I had been there and done that. I think ill wait about a year before tracking down the third book, and maybe that will keep things feeling more fresh. The overall quality of the writing was excellent. Where else are you going t ...more
Alan Toner
Lair is a truly brilliant sequel to my all time fave horror book, The Rats. This time, the rats infest Epping Forest, and once again the poor humans become helpless rat meat! Even more spine-chilling and gory than the first, Lair will send the hairs on the back of your neck prickling with sheer terror. The greatest sequel to the greatest horror novel ever. Read it . . . if you dare!
Carl Timms
Jul 16, 2012 Carl Timms rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gory creature/animal horror
Recommended to Carl by: My wife
After really enjoying The Rats, I found Lair to be a bit of a step backwards. There was some good rat violence as you'd expect but overall this was a weaker story with weaker characters than the first one. However it does further the evil rats storyline and throws in an unexpected twist at the end which leads to the triumphant Domain.
Ben Flay
you will be put off rats forever well written constructed and thought provoking ,out and out simple no frills horror that will leave image sin your mind to haunt you well described
Franki
The second book in the Rats series is just as good as the original.
Moving the setting from the busy city to the quiet countryside doesn't change the carnage or the pace of the story- in fact it adds to it more.
The characters are actually pretty similar to the previous protagonists but obviously if the formula works, why change it?
Again, I thoroughly love this trilogy and I really thought this book stepped it up from the first- giving a bit more story to the "real" mutant rats, attempting to almo
James Tatam
Lair was okay, but no different to any other Herbert novel, full of splatter punk gore with no real horror factor save for gross out, and peppered with sex scenes that crush the tension and act as page filler in the most awkward way possible.

The book started out with a expansive cast of characters that proved to be a tad difficult to handle, so I openly accepted Hebert's decision to slim them down to a more manageable handful. Yet, I found it somewhat dissatisfying that Herbert dropped all of th
Evelina
In the second book of this trilogy rats seem to have acquired a taste for human flesh after having fled from London and after having found the sanctuary in Epping forest. It could have also been a good standalone novel since the writing style is slightly better than the one of The Rats and there is a lot more gore. If you hate rats and fear them and if you additionally fear being eaten alive, these pages might give you nightmares.
Mutant rats origin is also explained and we discover there is a hi
Theo Paul
The mutants are back but this time with a vengeance. With the relieving genocide of the rats, few mutant white ones remain. They escape to the countryside to rebuild their strength and slowly repopulate the species. Strange sightings are reported as the rat forage bigger prey, until the protagonist comes to find the lair of the rats and as most stories go, completely wipe them out. Happy ending!!!

I decided to give this book a *** because it had the typical cliche plot (Enemies escape, grow back
Roger Be
On the whole an effective enough follow-up to The Rats. I enjoyed the forest setting, and there were some neat & memorable gory deaths( the priest & the graveyard scene sticks most in my mind). Though sadly like many horror novels it seemed to lose it’s edge/ interest towards the end of proceedings…I think this was mainly due to it’s length more than anything, as this type of pulp horror needs to run around 150 to 175, and this neared 250…
Serina Hartwell
Over the years since I read this book, I've tried to put my finger on what it was, that I found so scary about the storyline. If I disregard the fact that it was so well written, the storyline was engaging and I could connect with the characters, I have to say, that all the time I was reading the story, I knew it was possible. That's what made it so frightening to me.

Soon after reading this book, there was a report in our local paper of a rat that had been seen in a nearby city, which was as big
Rob Bliss
Apparently this is the second of a horror series about rats taking over London. But its stand-alone, only mentioning a previous outbreak of rats. Good pacing, lots of rats, big ugly scary mutant rats. A quick read. Only problem: how does the protagonist, Pender, escape the rats when he's inside their lair? They eat his buddy but ignore him. Even when he tries to escape, he falls back into the lair and they try to have a go at him but he gets rescued in the nick of time by a helicopter? He's insi ...more
Dark-Draco
The second book in the trilogy takes place 4 years after the first and this time, the mutant rats have set up a lair in Epping forest. It all starts off like any good horror story...a few incidents, an earnest hero with a past trying to get things right, the bumbling figure of authority reluctant to do what should be done for monetary reasons, a host of unimportant characters murdered in as gruesome a way as possible - what's not to like?

This doesn't take a huge amount of brainpower to read, but
Metalligazza
more of the same different characters slightly different plot line bigger more gore and very detailed if you loved the rats then you will love this .
AndrewP
Sequel to The Rats which was pretty good. Like most sequels, not as good as the original.
Roy Bright
Excellent sequel to Herberts 'Rats' the suspense picks right up where it was left off.
Jeff French
If you've read the first one, you will have a good idea of what to expect from this book. It starts out a little more slowly, but had no problem holding my interest. The rats are just as just as vicious, clever and disgusting as ever. The setting has changed from London to a wooded area outside of the city called Epping Forest. The characters are new, but overall, it feels very similar to Rats. I would recommend not reading this book directly after the first. The ending of Lair sets up the third ...more
Billy Waggledagger
All three in this trilogy are brilliant. Loved every word if it.
Dirty Harry
Hard to match THE RATS. But such a pleasure to read this.
Lydia Graham
Just as good as The Rats
Jazz
Gripping would definitely recommend
Mazel
Les rats repartent à l'attaque.

Dans le secret de leur repaire, à seulement quelques heures de Londres, les rats mutants s'étaient reproduits.

Les hommes n'avaient pas encore décelé leur présence.

Les jeunes rats ne tenaient plus en place, en proie à une faim qu'ils ne comprenaient ni ne pouvaient satisfaire.

Mais le monstrueux mutant qui les dominait, leur cerveau, leur ancêtre à tous, lui savait et se souvenait.

La bave coulait de sa gueule quand il se rappelait le goût de la chair humaine…
Raina
AS ALWAYS JAMES HERBERT WRITES AMAZINGLY! I LOVE THIS AUTHOR. AND IF I FOUND ANY FEAR IN RATS AT ALL THIS TAIL WOULD SEND CHILLS DOWN MY SPINE. AND IF I HAD ANY DESIRE TO READ ABOUT SEXUAL ENCOUNTERS THIS BOOK WOULD MAKE ME HOT.....BUT, I DO NOT FEAR RATS NOR DO I LUST FOR ROMANCE AND SEX. SO, WHILE FOUND THE BOOK GOOD, I PERSONALLY WANTED MORE AND FOUND MYSELF HOPING FOR SOME ZOMBIE RATS OR FOR THE RATS TO TURN PEOPLE INTO ZOMBIES! LOL.....I RECOMMEND READING THIS IF YOU HAVE A FEAR OF RODENTS. ...more
Ross Armstrong
The second book in Herbert's Rats trilogy, picks up a couple of years later and has a completely different cast of characters from the first book.
Some giant, mutant rats that survived the first book flee London to a nearby forest where they regain their numbers. They begin to terrorize the countryside, including a police academy that is in the vicinity.
This shows Herbert's growth as a novelist. The story is more concisely told and the ending is more satisfying than the Rats.
Calum Futty
This series should be made into a movie
Hil
To be honest I was a bit bored by this book. I will point out though that I was reading an abridged version, so perhaps I would have got more involved with the characters otherwise, and also I have not read the first book, Rats. I am not scared of rats gemerally, and I don't believe it's possible to have mutant rats of 2 foot long, or otherwise, so I wasn't scared by the storyline. Nothing very exciting seemed to happen. It was pretty gory, which I liked.
Gavin
The set pieces are pretty good, with the highlight being the attack from the tree tops. Sadly, I just found the book a series of decent set pieces linked by average character development, and a pathetic female character that was essentially there for the lead characters washing and sexual gratification. I will certainly read the third book in this series, but based on Lair, Domain has just moved down a few titles in my ever growing 'to read' pile.
Titus Hjelm
Starts 'slow' in Herbert standards, i.e. the first person dies around page 80, instead of the usual page five. The rest is guaranteed onslaught. I also only now noticed how much social commentary there is in his books (at least the Rats series and The Fog), although I'm not quite sure what Herbert's politics are. Anyway, better than some of the others, although doesn't offer any high literary experiences--which you probably wouldn't expect anyway.
Rebecca
Not very challenging or thought provoking. It is more like a gore-fest. To me, the bad things about this book are the lack of plot (the plot is pretty simple: find rats, kill rats) and the characters to me were pretty flat and simple - not very well developed, and a little predictable. I didn't get sucked into the novel, it was a 'cheap' (probably wrong word for it) thrill. Amusing, good break from 'heavy' literature. Just not altogether awful!
Gareth
Gore blimey! Mutant rats run riot through Epping Forest leaving a trail of bloody death and mayhem in James Herbert's more accomplished sequel to The Rats. Be prepared to have your nerves shredded by razor sharp tension and horrific encounters as ratcatchers, mobile home dwellers and the military alike all fall victim to the insatiable swarm of killer rodents. Bloody gruesome and bloody good stuff!
  • Death Day
  • The Beast House
  • Walkers
  • Midnight's Lair
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his nineteen novels have sold more than forty
More about James Herbert...
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Dark The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1)