Start by marking “Restitution” as Want to Read:
Restitution

Eliza Graham

Restitution

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
February 1945. Europe is in ruins and the Red Army is searing its way across Germany's eastern marches, revenging itself upon a petrified population. The war is over, but for some the fight for survival is only just beginning. Alix, the aristocratic daughter of a German resistance fighter, is alone and desperate to flee before the Reds come. But when a ferocious snowstorm ...more
Published February 22nd 2011 by Pan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Restitution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restitution

Carole
This is one of the most absorbing and thought-provoking books that I've read for a long time. As the Red Army advances on a terrified nation, Alix (a Baron's daughter) is trying to flee but is trapped in her house by a raging snowstorm. What happens that night has far-reaching effects on many peoples lives and we are taken back and forth in time, to Alix's family and friends. This is a riveting tale of love, heroism, cruelty, kindness and the re-building of lives in the aftermath of the War. I w ...more
S'hi
Apr 22, 2016 S'hi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, history, germany
Across time and generations the choices of belonging and surviving are drawn out within characters and between characters until an ease is reached that makes all the tensions seem irrelevant. Eliza Graham’s Restitution has all the elements of a fairytale, with the added ingredient of truth.
People have lived these lives. People have faced these horrors. Some have died in their midst and others have survived time and again to make different sense of their memories from every viewpoint along the wa
L F
Jul 31, 2016 L F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resolution

The war has ended for the west, but the Russians carry trouble with them as they evade Prussia. Will the protagonists survive in this period of spies and hidden backgrounds. When you can trust no one, at all.
The mood of this book Is just short of spooky. This is a dark period for the books setting, Prussia, an area of which little has been written until recent times.
But this novel does have a a resolution.
Jayne Charles
The scale of this book is immense - over eighty years of European history covered, and several characters followed as their lives are blown off course by war. I found it oddly contradictory: I like to read informative fiction, and here was a whole array of historical events - from the effects of the Versailles Treaty through Nazi Germany and a gulag or two - and yet I didn't feel as if I learned much; instead it felt as though I needed to go away and research the events first so I could understa ...more
Alice
Nov 09, 2008 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Write the story then shuffle the chapters" seems to be the current method of novel-writing. I lost interest, as the story jumped around the various time settings. There was potential in the scenario for a gripping story, but this wasn't it.
Cinsoares
Jul 21, 2015 Cinsoares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book absorbing and unlike some of the other reviewers, I appreciated the style of switching back and forth in time. The subject matter could have been depressing but the style allowed for reader relief.

The characters are well developed and their stories plausible. The historical aspects seem well researched and are used effectively.

I admit that the ending was a bit predictable but in truth, it was the ending I wanted so I won't complain.

I recommend this book for anyone interested i
Sharon Jones
A story that takes you deep into the minds of people who suffered during and after WWII. Although I found it slow at times and the back and forth of time periods (which, evidentially, is the "new" thing now in writing), it was a heart warming book. The suffering of people and the overall devistation of many countries and its people is brought out in this book.
Lee Pennington
Donna Johnson
While the premise of the book was good, it was difficult to read because of the narration jumping back and forth in time. After reading it twice, I'm still confused about some of the characters especially Alix's mother and Preizler (What really happened between them?).
Linda
May 30, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story but I found it quite disjointed as it moves backwards and forwards in time so frequently. Parts of the story also seemed quite implausible.
KarenV
Dec 13, 2011 KarenV rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Disappointing. I loved Eliza Graham's Playing with the Moon and was looking forward to Restitution but I was left very dissatisfied by it. I didn't like the way the story kept moving backwards and forwards in time every chapter; I found it hard to keep track of what was happening and who was who and it made the story too fragmented and choppy. I also felt I should have been more moved by the plight of the characters and their circumstances but I wasn't. I persevered with it but it was only OK fo ...more
Jo Barton
Jun 11, 2011 Jo Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an all consuming look at life in Germany as the Red Army approaches and follows the fortunes and misfortunes of Alix, the daughter of a German resistance fighter. When her family is destroyed , Alix must survive against all the odds. This is a well thought out story and focuses on love, loss and the tenacity of the human spirit.
Frogface
Oct 27, 2008 Frogface rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in history. People who like a good, meaty historical read. Or a family saga.
1945. The Red Army sweeps through Germany. One family are caught in the middle--they're not Hitler supporters and they've done their bit to resist him, but they're aristocrats and the Russians have marked them out for special attention. Yet love flowers at a time of horror and hope over-rides fear and hatred.
Siobhan
Oct 03, 2011 Siobhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I really enjoyed this book! I started it in the morning and had it finished by 5 pm that evening--just couldn't put it down! The chapters switch between different times and characters and all were equally compelling and easy to follow.
Dagbjört Ásgeirsdóttir
Thought it was good, kept me to the end :o)
Kayla Henson
Kayla Henson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Danisa
Danisa marked it as to-read
Jennifer Johannsen
Jennifer Johannsen marked it as to-read
Alecia Leedy
Alecia Leedy marked it as to-read
Jeephpy
Jeephpy marked it as to-read
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Lisa Maden
Lisa Maden marked it as to-read
Lori Keeton
Lori Keeton marked it as to-read
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Ananymity
Ananymity marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Kary Ross
Kary Ross marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Elly Oretger
Elly Oretger marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Carmelita
Carmelita marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Martin Hiscox
Martin Hiscox rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
  • Blackmoor
  • Afterwards
  • A Hero's Daughter
  • Les grandes familles
Eliza Graham is an Oxfordshire-based UK author whose adult novels reflect her fascination with how historical events affect families. She has also written young adult novels, and, in her pen name, Anna Lisle, a historical novel (Allegra).
More about Eliza Graham...