Start by marking “Long Way Down” as Want to Read:
Long Way Down

Long Way Down (Gus Dury short story)

Gus Dury is down on his luck and looking for distraction when Danny Murray asks him to find his old school friend, Barry Fulton. Fresh from jail, and attracting the attention of a new breed of Irish gangster, Barry is treading a fine line between his past and the activities of present-day Edinburgh crimelord, Boaby 'Shakey' Stevens.

Dury knows Barry has put a time-bomb rou
Published December 12th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Long Way Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Way Down

Anthony James
Short and sweet - I've loved everything Tony Black has written and this was no exception. 77p well spent!
Keith Nixon
Jan 13, 2013 Keith Nixon rated it it was amazing
Gus Dury is a down at heel ex-reporter with a dark past. He’s kicking his heels in life when Danny Murray, a runner for local gang boss Boaby ‘Shaky’ Stevens, asks Gus to do a job for him – find an old friend, Barry Fulton. Gus is reluctant, but 3,000 helps sweeten the deal. Gus quickly learns Barry has got involved with Irish gangsters encroaching onto Shaky’s patch and, unless he finds him soon, someone’s going to end up dead.

This standalone novella is part of Black’s Gus Dury series, the othe
Josh
Feb 06, 2013 Josh rated it liked it
As I read LONG WAY DOWN I kept trying to place it within the existing Gus Dury continuity - the result being somewhere in-between GUTTED AND LOSS as there is no mention of Amy (prominent in LONG TIME DEAD) or the events proceeding LOSS (where Gus’ personal life is thrown to the wolves and his left with little more than macerated scraps of an existence). LONG WAY DOWN is a perfect standalone story made more meaningful by reading the full lengths. Gus isn’t the traditional PI, more an accidental ...more
Lawrence
Jan 09, 2013 Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Just finished the fantastic 'Long Way Down' earlier this evening.

Really good story telling with lots of detail along the way. Watch out for the visit to the launderette....

Easy read based around Scottish gangsters. When one of them is missing, he has to be found.

Tony has an easy going style of writing with plenty of twists and turns and frequent visits to the pubs in and around Edinburgh. More than a 'few wee drams' are consumed in the hunt.

Now looking to get the rest in the series.
Brandon Nagel
Dec 21, 2013 Brandon Nagel rated it really liked it
Quick gritty Durie story. I love everything Tony Black writes. As soon as it's released, I buy it. No need to read a blurb or review. Automatic purchase. Keep it up Tony.
Speesh
Nov 16, 2013 Speesh rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
A short story, so I'll keep it short.

Excellent.

OK, maybe a word or two more.

Really excellent.

'Long Way Down' is what we in the trade are calling a ’14,000-word novella’ and I think I got it for free, off the US Kindle store. After Tony Black mentioned it on Twitter, I'm pretty sure.

It's about a group of characters in Edinburgh, who could possibly be called some of the last chance saloon's best customers. Those with their own stool and their name on their mug behind the bar. The main character Gu
Peter Carroll
Apr 21, 2013 Peter Carroll rated it really liked it
This strikes me as exactly the kind of story the e-reader was designed to take on. If Tony Black had approached a publisher to produce a paper copy of this short, sharp, 14,000 word novella, they'd likely have baulked. It would have cost too much to produce and been hard to sell. However, as a cheap, quick read on a kindle, it's a winner!

I haven't read any of the preceding Gus Dury novels but, thankfully, this did not hinder my enjoyment. The story is self-contained, involving a small cast of ch
Janine
Jul 04, 2014 Janine rated it it was amazing
Gus is a down to earth character which I thought was great.

He's fed up, and up pops a blast from the past which he isn't too happy about.

Danny asks Gus about his long time mate Barry, this pricks his intrigue and wonder what he wants to know. Danny wants Gus to find Barry before anyone else does. But why????

The story takes Gus into some rather down and out areas which leaves a lot to be desired.

This was my first Gus novella and really enjoyed it as he's a character which easily draws you to him
Warren Stalley
Jun 29, 2015 Warren Stalley rated it it was amazing
Downbeat and booze soaked Gus Dury is hired to find a missing man Barry Fulton before local gangster Boaby Stevens gets to him, but all is not as it seems in this brief yet engrossing short story from popular author Tony Black. Filled with sharp satirical one liners and authentic local language this Edinburgh set tale is a great introduction to the authors work. I would highly recommend this short story to any crime fiction fan and will certainly be looking for further books featuring the ...more
Andy
Feb 20, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Another great Gus Dury story,
if you have not met Gus before this is a great starting point
5**** as usual.
Keep `em coming Tony :)
Doreen
Doreen rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Russel
Russel rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Fenian
Fenian rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
roger h cowling
roger h cowling rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Esme
Esme rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Ric
Ric rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
james hollick
james hollick rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Martin Sharp
Martin Sharp rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
Debra Barstad
Debra Barstad rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2016
Kimmy
Kimmy rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2013
David Thomas
David Thomas rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Brian Donoghue
Brian Donoghue rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Raymond McCoy
Raymond McCoy rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014

Gus Dury (4 books)
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Gutted (Gus Dury, #2)
  • Loss (Gus Dury, #3)
  • Long Time Dead (Gus Dury, #4)