Start by marking “All The Rivers Run” as Want to Read:
All The Rivers Run

All The Rivers Run

A WOMAN IN A MAN'S WORLD
Her handsome, laughing cousin Adam gave young Delie Gordon her first taste of love--its soaring happiness, its heartbreaking pain.

Virile, self-confident riverboat captain Brenton Edwards showed Delie her weakness in the face of a man's overwhelming passion--but though he made her his wife, he could not enslave her proud and defiant spirit.

Wealthy an
Published (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about All The Rivers Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All The Rivers Run

May 05, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Misfit, Marg
Just arrived from USA through BM.

This is the story of Philadelphia Gordon, who was sent to live on the banks of the Murray River in Australia with her aunt and uncle after the lost of her parents when she was 13 years old.

The book describes the Midwestern pioneer life in the beginning of 20th century. It should be pointed out that, at that time, the rivers were the practical way to travel through this huge country.

Surprisingly, the author gave an artistic ability to the main character, a pioneer
Maudie
May 02, 2012 Maudie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember 'All the Rivers Run' fondly, but it was the very early 1980's when I read the book and the rating is straight from memory. However, armed only with those memories, I would still recommend this Cato read as a good one without hesitation.

I do remember, with clarity, reading it during an unusually hot southern summer and longing to jump into the wetness of that river the heroine kept traveling up and down many times!
June
Feb 04, 2013 June rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian
I had wanted to read this book for awhile. Managed to find a copy at my local library which was over 30 years old and an item that they apparently lent to me from their "stack collection" (whatever that is!).

There were two mini-series based on this book (neither which I have seen for a very long time). The first mini-series (All the Rivers Run) is based on the first half of the book and follows it fairly closely with only a few scenes re-written, although the outcome is the same. The second mini
Nicola
Jul 31, 2016 Nicola rated it liked it
Australian Historical novel set in the 1890s. Could be classed as a coming of age novel.
Nicola
Jan 15, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it
If I could give 3 1/2 I would.
I truly enjoyed the mastery of the language, Cato brought the charters and scenery to life in a vibrant manner. Often I felt like I could actually see the places that Delie was travelling to.
Living and growing with Philadelphia Gordon, from childhood to late in life I found myself brought to both tears and laughter. Reading of a strong female character who was willing to break gender barriers was refreshing and rewarding.
I did find the book to be a bit lengthy, fee
Séverine
Nancy Cato nous raconte l'histoire de Delie Gordon, à la fois artiste-peintre et capitaine de bateau à aubes, du naufrage du bateau sur lequel elle arrivait en Australie à 9 ans jusqu'à sa mort à un âge avancé. Le tout sur fond de magnifiques paysages australiens et d'une nature impitoyable.

Un roman agréable à lire, avec des rebondissements, mais un peu long dans ses descriptions. On se demande parfois où l'auteur veut en venir, et la vie sur le bateau est assez répétitive.
Betty
Aug 14, 2011 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the Rivers Run is a delightful story of the escapades of a fiery young woman and her steamboat exploits. It left an indelible impression on me; the movie was equally terrific thanks to the young actress, Sigrid Thornton, who played Delie Gordon.

Delie was beautiful, fiery, high-spirited, and passionate! Raw, untamed, unbridled, and bursting with fire and life; truly ahead of her time by about a hundred years!
Kathy
Oct 26, 2007 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-novels
I can't remember if I read this before or after we named Brenton. I don't remember seeing his name until the mini-series. But I remember being surprised at the name when I watched the mini series, so this isn't where we got the name.
Kas
Feb 11, 2010 Kas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
I know it's an epic - but it's a bit long-winded. I love that river though. I think it's the reason I kept reading.
Kiandra Haaf
May 31, 2008 Kiandra Haaf rated it really liked it
How could I not like this book? It mentions the town of Kiandra in New South Wales, Australia, for which I was named. Excellent miniseries, too.
Emma
Aug 16, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
I read this books years ago and saw the mini series - although I can't remember which came first? I do remember enjoying both.
Béatrice
May 26, 2017 Béatrice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belle saga, attachante et même plus ! L' héroïne, féministe avant la lettre, est une personnalité remarquable, à la fois femme d'affaire et d'action, mère de famille et amoureuse, et en prime, une vraie artiste...à une époque où ce n'est pas vraiment bien vu !
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jul 08, 2014 Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
A classic saga that encapsulates the culture, history and geography of Australia at the turn of the century. At the heart of this full bodied novel is the central protagonist, Philadelphia Gordon. Philadelphia or Delie as she is referred to in this book, is beautiful, spirited and independent, she longs to become a famous artist. It follows her journey from a young girl full of hope and dreams, finding her place in the world to become an artist, the first known Riverboat skipper and Mother to fo ...more
Sandie
Sep 03, 2009 Sandie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am still reading this, just hit a slow patch and have put it aside for the time being.

Its not really captured me as of yet and I want to finish it because I might end up loving it but right now I don't want to waste the time reading it when there are other books I want to read instead. I will at some point get back to it though.

Am re-reshelving at this point. Have only made it to chapter 17 and I'm just not into it right now. Will give it a try at some other time.

**Note to self, book is not
Tsvetelina Stambolova-Vasileva
Dec 21, 2016 Tsvetelina Stambolova-Vasileva rated it really liked it
Някога, по времето, когато в България имаше само два телевизионни канала, даваха сериал по тази книга. Помня, че сериалът беше добър, но всичките ми спомени са смътни и откъслечни. Книгата, обаче, си е типична австралийска сага, повече в духа на "Птиците умират сами", отколкото на "Майка Австралия". Проследява живота на една жена в мъжки времена. Жена творец и пионер, но също и уязвимо човешко същество през възходи и кризи, войни и болести, в различните ѝ възрасти, чрез любимите ѝ мъже и децата ...more
Celia
May 12, 2008 Celia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women artists, wives, fans of historical fiction, fans of the miniseries
Recommended to Celia by: The miniseries
Here is another kunstleroman I had not thought of until Ann's comment about The Story of Avis made me remember it. Some people might know of this story as a (really good) miniseries, but the book is longer and more detailed. It is an excellent story about a woman artist and her struggle with love, marriage, and family, very similar to The Story of Avis, especially in terms of the husbands. A fantastic meditation on life and how to--I beg your pardon--"go with the flow."
Cathy
Jun 07, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
I loved this 'Aussie' story - it truly depicted life on the river and the spirit of the people of that time - I only wish I had discovered Nancy Cato's books before her passing - a wonderful writer ... A Keeper.
Ulla
Caralyn Rubli
Not bad. A little dull at times and skipped huge chunks of years that may have helped make the story better. Like what happens after the one kid finds ancient bones?
Rachel Kent
Mar 31, 2013 Rachel Kent rated it did not like it
The only book I've ever thrown in the rubbish.
Janet
Nov 27, 2010 Janet rated it liked it
this book was an HBO special in 1984, the book itself is very good
Tania
Feb 13, 2012 Tania rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-friends
This #15 for 2012. Recommended to me by a friend. Read this a long time go so it'll be reread.
Lorraine stone
Jun 13, 2014 Lorraine stone rated it it was amazing
it was a great book to read
Jenny
Aug 09, 2011 Jenny added it
Can't go past this classic
Thao
Dec 23, 2015 Thao rated it it was amazing
Strong will is shaped in whatever form!
Karla Rutherford
Feb 12, 2008 Karla Rutherford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. The Australian outback and the Murray river came alive on the pages of this novel.
Diane Wachter
All the Rivers Run, Nancy Cato, PB-B, @ 1978, 1980. A novel about an orphaned 13 year old girl ssent to live with her aunt and uncle in Australia. Good.
M
Oct 30, 2008 M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book years and years ago. It is a sweeping Australian epic. There was a miniseries on HBO is like 1984, but you can't find it anywhere now.
Laurie Wasmund
Aug 08, 2016 Laurie Wasmund rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book. I love the breadth and depth of the writing. The characters are complex and unpredictable, and the description of Australia brings vivid pictures to my mind.
Sally
Jun 06, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it
Vivid imagery, a memorable read from years ago.
  • Eden Rising (Eden, #5)
  • Melissa
  • The Prodigal Women
  • The Timeless Land
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • The Gold Seekers (The Australians, #7)
  • The Midwife
  • Steamboat Gothic
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • A Woman of Cairo
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rain Maiden
  • The Alphabet of Light and Dark
Nancy Fotheringham Cato AM (11 March 1917 – 3 July 2000) was an Australian writer who published more than twenty historical novels, biographies and volumes of poetry. Cato is also known for her work campaigning on environmental and conservation issues.

Cato was born in Glen Osmond in South Australia, and was a fifth-generation Australian. She studied English Literature and Italian at the University
More about Nancy Cato...