Start by marking “Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)

Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Fifteen years ago, the Rookie Club began as a tight-knit band of female cops struggling for respect from their male peers. Jamie Vail was one of them. So was Natasha Devlin, the woman Jamie caught in bed with her husband.
When Natasha Devlin turns up dead, Jamie wants nothing to do with the investigation. As a seasoned inspector in the sex crimes department, Jamie is facin
ebook, Author's Cut Edition
Published September 13th 2012 by Epublishing Works! (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Center

Well paced, dark police procedural/thriller about a serial rapist who sets his sight on the women of the police department that sent him to prison.

Free 11-05-14
Lynda Kelly
Once again this author uses over 10% of the book to advertise her other books at the end so you feel a bit robbed. I liked this story and some of The Rookie Club girls though the "club" itself really didn't feature too much. Parts seemed a little farfetched in places and at times the girls I found were pretty bitchy apart from Mackenzie so not extremely likeable. Once again this book was full of silly mistakes which for me is always an annoyance and always costs at least a star in my ratings.
Paula Legate
I don't care for books when married people cheat on one another, I also didn't like the way this book jumped around. The tempo, or flow of this book had me reading the page again to see what person was being talked about. I did however enjoy the suspense of the plot. The Rookie club is a group of female Police officers. Someone is after the group attacking, and or rapping one member at a time.

I made it halfway through this book. I never, ever leave a review without reading the whole book, but I
John C Wells

I stayed up to finish this book. Such a satisfying mystery, with women as the strong force here. The interactions of women in within the police force, with each other, with their families, and other difficult situations was very appealing and uplifting. I recommend this to women who have been attacked, sexually or in any way really, as these are women who live to conquer evil and rise to the challenge to do it again.
An about average crime novel.

I never developed any affinity for the characters. Many of them were simply unlikeable. And the main ones had too much agita in their lives and no real positives (except dedication to see the crime they’re investigating solved – and that is expected of police officers real or fictional) to be believable. Plus Girard sprung the guilty party on the reader with giving us any foundation for suspecting him – except for a too brief hint that should have had the main charac
Ugh. This book was slow to start. Actually it really didn't pick up until it was practically over. There were so many characters and it felt like so much was happening and nothing was happening all at the same time. I can't even say it ended particularly well .... It just kinda fizzled and was over. Quite disappointing if you ask me.
This book was just all right. The basic story line was good, but I could've done without all the foul language and trashy talk. It really took away from the parts of the plot that were good.
Elizabeth Means
So I really did like it, kind of slow when it starts but still a great read, will be checking out the next one to see if I want to read the rest of the series.
Bcoghill Coghill
An Okay book but nothing special and there are so many good books in the world.
jackie frye
A suspect filled mystery that kept me guess until the end. There is a serial rapist and a murdered female investigator. The lead sex crimes investigator knows who the serial rapist is. She just needs evidence that will convince a jury. Since the dead officer has slept with most of the male officers finding her killer is a bit difficult.

I liked this book and plan to read the second bok in the series.

I could not put this book down. Two crimes are intertwined. Jamie Vail investigates sex crimes and Hailey investigates homicides. When a fellow police officer is murdered in her office, the suspicion falls on Jamie's ex husband. From the the plot thickens and moves forward. I never suspected who was the murderer. Keeps you guessing. Solid writing, character development, and exploration of heinous crimes. The book has a final plot twist and leaves a lot of room for next book.
Bonnie Jarrett
Good police officers story

Very good story about police officers life and was exciting and very interesting. I did not care for the cursing and felt it added nothing to the book. If anything the cursing took away from. It. I would like to read another book written by the author using clean language.
It took me a while to get into this book, but after I did, I was hooked. I think the action continued throughout the story and never lagged. I liked the characters and wanted the girls to solve the crimes.
The only negative thing I can think of was the list of characters. It was hard to keep straight who was who.
I gave this book 5 stars because the action never stopped, you felt you were there, you felt drawn into the story and wanted the bad guy stopped. I felt the frustration of being a woman
Joanne R. Lesher
Can't read fast enough

As a fellow writer, crime thrillers, I can be a tough customer! However this story grabbed my attention until I just couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately purchased the next book in the series.
J.R. Lesher
OMG, Dead Center is one of the best thrillers that I have ever read!!!

This book has everything. Murder, intrigue, scandal, friendship, and a tough as nails heroine. Prepare yourself for the roller coaster ride that is Dead Center. I am looking forward to continuing my ride with the rookies.
If this book was a TV show it would be one I would watch somewhat distractedly, not bothering to pause the playback while getting snacks. It was free and the cover is eye-catching. The writing is competent and almost totally error-free (I may have caught a missing apostrophe and a misused homonym here or there).

I picked this one up partly because it had a blurb from John Connolly (I assume it was the author of the Charlie Parker mysteries and Nocturnes and not some other John Connolly). This is
Patricia Burleson

This is a very good book. I completely enjoyed reading it. It's full of action the characters are strong the story line great. There is mystery and the main character kicks butt. So get it you won't be sorry and enjoy reading.
Diana Hershberger
Exciting, but...

There were so many characters, being referred to by last names and first names, that I never understood who was who. So, the story is action packed, but too complex for me.bhai
Joyce McKune
Jamie was investigating several sexual attacks on co-workers and Hailey caught the murder of another investigator who was sleeping with nearly every guy in in every department. Too many possible suspects including Jamie's ex.
Diane Parks
Book 1-A good start

I gave this book a 4 star rating and enjoyed the contents of this story. I would recommend it to my friends who enjoy a good mystery.
I'm now a huge fan of Danielle Girard ("Girard"). I really loved reading "Dead Center." The author has written a terrific story that's a total page turner that makes this novel a must read for all those who enjoy reading police procedural stories. What makes this book different from other novels of the same genre? I have to say it's the combination of well-developed and intriguing characters; the fact that there isn't just one main protagonist, but several female cops that share the forefront; t ...more
I am ready to read her next book. This book was suspenseful and sad and real and I can't wait to read her next installment of the Rookie Club.
Donna Burgess
Great story

Enjoyed this story to the end of the book.Will be reading the next series right away. Good story by this writer .
Debbie Oxier
The Rookie Club was started for new female police officers on the force. Jaimie and Hailey had been working for awhile when a rapist begins targeting the police. As they work to find the suspect, a new member, MacKenzie, joins the club. When a female inspector is murdered its possible her killer and their rapist are one and the same. As they work to find out the truth, more about their personal lives is revealed. Very good start to the series. Like each character and the fact that in spite of th ...more
Linda Look
I give this a 3.8 rating. Strong female characters who are cops that form the rookie club. Bad cops, murders, rapes and beatings.
Kathie Punturiero
It was an enjoyable whodunit along the lines of The Woman's Murder Club. The ending was a little surprising,but it was well- written.
Marianne Boyer
Great book

Could not put it down .The writer kept my interest throughout . Cannot wait to read book two of the series.
irene sullivan

Enjoyed the book immensely..looking forward to reading her books again..this was my first time reading her..I liked the construction of her book.
I dont know what to say about this book, it started off as okay and then BAM! all these characters come out nowhere.
kind of a knock off of James Patterson or Tess Gerritsen but a good read
  • Crescent City Kill (Skip Langdon, #7)
  • Spouse Trap (Madeline Dawkins, #1)
  • Lethal Confessions
  • Relentless (The Burton & Kazmaroff Mysteries Book 1)
  • Elusive (On The Run, #1)
  • St. Charles at Dusk (House of Crimson & Clover C&C Lagniappe)
  • Death by Jealousy (Caribbean Murder,#6)
  • Heartshot
  • Watching (PAVAD - Prevention & Analysis of Violent Acts Division - Book 1)
  • Mind Games (Diana Racine #1)
  • Winter's Destiny
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • No Human Involved (Munch Mancini, #1)
  • Deathwatch (Broslin Creek, #1)
  • A Man to Die For
  • How to be a Ghost (A Libby Grace Mystery, #1)
  • Childs' Proof (A Victoria Childs Novel, #1)
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins (Madeline Donovan #1)

Almost two decades ago, Danielle decided she wanted to try to write a book. She set out to write something sweet, maybe even romantic, but on page 5, someone got shot and it's been that way ever since.

The Barry-award winning author lives with her husband, who is careful never to lurk in dark corners, and their two children. They split their time between San Francisco and the northern Rockies.

More about Danielle Girard...

The Rookie Club (5 books)
  • One Clean Shot (The Rookie Club #2)
  • Dark Passage (The Rookie Club #3)
  • Interference (the Rookie Club, #4)
  • Everything to Lose (The Rookie Club, #5)