Start by marking “Dead Center (the Rookie Club, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Center (the Rookie Club, Book 1)

Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Fifteen years ago, the Rookie Club began as a tight-knit band of female cops struggling for respect from their male peers. Jamie Vail was one of them. So was Natasha Devlin, the woman Jamie caught in bed with her husband.
When Natasha Devlin turns up dead, Jamie wants nothing to do with the investigation. As a seasoned inspector in the sex crimes department, Jamie is facin
ebook
Published September 13th 2012 by Epublishing Works!

To ask other readers questions about Dead Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Center

Delta
Well paced, dark police procedural/thriller about a serial rapist who sets his sight on the women of the police department that sent him to prison.

Free 11-05-14

Paula Legate
I don't care for books when married people cheat on one another, I also didn't like the way this book jumped around. The tempo, or flow of this book had me reading the page again to see what person was being talked about. I did however enjoy the suspense of the plot. The Rookie club is a group of female Police officers. Someone is after the group attacking, and or rapping one member at a time.

I made it halfway through this book. I never, ever leave a review without reading the whole book, but I
Vicki
Ugh. This book was slow to start. Actually it really didn't pick up until it was practically over. There were so many characters and it felt like so much was happening and nothing was happening all at the same time. I can't even say it ended particularly well .... It just kinda fizzled and was over. Quite disappointing if you ask me.
Bcoghill Coghill
An Okay book but nothing special and there are so many good books in the world.
Lynda Kelly
Once again this author uses over 10% of the book to advertise her other books at the end so you feel a bit robbed. I liked this story and some of The Rookie Club girls though the "club" itself really didn't feature too much. Parts seemed a little farfetched in places and at times the girls I found were pretty bitchy apart from Mackenzie so not extremely likeable. Once again this book was full of silly mistakes which for me is always an annoyance and always costs at least a star in my ratings.
Re
jackie frye
A suspect filled mystery that kept me guess until the end. There is a serial rapist and a murdered female investigator. The lead sex crimes investigator knows who the serial rapist is. She just needs evidence that will convince a jury. Since the dead officer has slept with most of the male officers finding her killer is a bit difficult.

I liked this book and plan to read the second bok in the series.
Patti
It took me a while to get into this book, but after I did, I was hooked. I think the action continued throughout the story and never lagged. I liked the characters and wanted the girls to solve the crimes.
The only negative thing I can think of was the list of characters. It was hard to keep straight who was who.
I gave this book 5 stars because the action never stopped, you felt you were there, you felt drawn into the story and wanted the bad guy stopped. I felt the frustration of being a woman
Joanne R. Lesher
Can't read fast enough

As a fellow writer, crime thrillers, I can be a tough customer! However this story grabbed my attention until I just couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately purchased the next book in the series.
J.R. Lesher
Vivianne
OMG, Dead Center is one of the best thrillers that I have ever read!!!

This book has everything. Murder, intrigue, scandal, friendship, and a tough as nails heroine. Prepare yourself for the roller coaster ride that is Dead Center. I am looking forward to continuing my ride with the rookies.
Eero
If this book was a TV show it would be one I would watch somewhat distractedly, not bothering to pause the playback while getting snacks. It was free and the cover is eye-catching. The writing is competent and almost totally error-free (I may have caught a missing apostrophe and a misused homonym here or there).

I picked this one up partly because it had a blurb from John Connolly (I assume it was the author of the Charlie Parker mysteries and Nocturnes and not some other John Connolly). This is
Diane Parks
Book 1-A good start

I gave this book a 4 star rating and enjoyed the contents of this story. I would recommend it to my friends who enjoy a good mystery.
Pamela
I'm now a huge fan of Danielle Girard ("Girard"). I really loved reading "Dead Center." The author has written a terrific story that's a total page turner that makes this novel a must read for all those who enjoy reading police procedural stories. What makes this book different from other novels of the same genre? I have to say it's the combination of well-developed and intriguing characters; the fact that there isn't just one main protagonist, but several female cops that share the forefront; t ...more
Debbie Oxier
The Rookie Club was started for new female police officers on the force. Jaimie and Hailey had been working for awhile when a rapist begins targeting the police. As they work to find the suspect, a new member, MacKenzie, joins the club. When a female inspector is murdered its possible her killer and their rapist are one and the same. As they work to find out the truth, more about their personal lives is revealed. Very good start to the series. Like each character and the fact that in spite of th ...more
Marianne Boyer
Great book

Could not put it down .The writer kept my interest throughout . Cannot wait to read book two of the series.
irene sullivan
Excellent

Enjoyed the book immensely..looking forward to reading her books again..this was my first time reading her..I liked the construction of her book.
Ahlam
I dont know what to say about this book, it started off as okay and then BAM! all these characters come out nowhere.
Sharon Morris Marks
I enjoyed this book. However I did not care for all the characters. I had to stop reading to figure out who that person was. I needed a score card to keep the characters straight. I wish the writer would have resolved the murder/suicide they worked on through out the book.
Danni
Nov 07, 2014 Danni marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Free nook book.
Christine
I really enjoyed the plot of the book. However it was a little confusing the way it jumped from one characters point of view to another.
Marla Madison
Really enjoyed this book! At times it was had keeping the multiple characters straight, but well worth the effort and the author did a good job of keeping them distinct for the reader. Too bad character lists are out of style. They would make reading a multiple-character book much easier.
Each character was interesting, and kept me reading, and the ending satisfying.
HIghly recommend for suspense readers.
LLona Cunningham
Good plot basis, and some interesting scenes that might have worked well condensed into a 30-minute TV show, but some of the scenes failed to carry the plot forward, and having such a large named cast required a score card. Reading two primary characters with names that sound alike (Jamie and Hailey) was frustrating at times.
Kay
Had lots of interruptions while reading this book but ended up enjoying book very much. Strong character development from the start with each new person adding to the plot. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Dorsi
One of the things I really liked about this book was the author's ability to keep me engaged in the story. The writing style was really good and her character development was great. The story had a good twist at the end as well.
Cheryl
Modern cop story featuring women on the force. Their unique issues make the story interesting, particularly for women.
gordon gesner
Danielle Girard Book One

Danielle Girard Book One

Very well written book , great cast of people, I highly recommend this read. I have already bought book two
Carolyn Injoy
Oct 02, 2014 Carolyn Injoy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime, mysteries, women detectives
Recommended to Carolyn by: author
Danielle Girard has it all: mystery, crime, strong women solving difficult situations!

Her book Dead Center was a page turner. Loved it. I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.
Deb
Good lead characters, compelling story.

Hard to put down, this story keeps you interested right up to the end. Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Kellie
Good read. We have the girls club and the good ole boys. Jamie must figure out who is raping female cops while trying to help a friend and deal with the good ole boys club.
Lavana Sanchez
i would never ever let my ex near me even thought we work in the same department not me and i would leave him right here and spend my time with my Tony and the little boy
Goodreads Reviewe...: Would love reviewers for suspense novel 2 12 Jan 18, 2015 07:46PM
  • Crescent City Kill (Skip Langdon, #7)
  • Childs' Proof (A Victoria Childs Novel, #1)
  • Elusive (On The Run, #1)
  • St. Charles at Dusk (House of Crimson & Clover C&C Lagniappe)
  • Relentless (The Burton & Kazmaroff Mysteries Book 1)
  • Heartshot
  • Mind Games (Diana Racine #1)
  • Inn Keeping with Murder (Old Maids of Mercer Island)
  • Lethal Confessions
  • Spouse Trap (Madeline Dawkins, #1)
  • Run Run As Fast As You Can (Emma Frost #3)
  • Death by Jealousy (Caribbean Murder,#6)
  • Cold River Resurrection
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Red Tide
  • Concrete Evidence (Evidence, #1)
  • Watching (PAVAD - Prevention & Analysis of Violent Acts Division - Book 1)
  • Closure

Almost two decades ago, Danielle decided she wanted to try to write a book. She set out to write something sweet, maybe even romantic, but on page 5, someone got shot and it's been that way ever since.

The Barry-award winning author lives with her husband, who is careful never to lurk in dark corners, and their two children. They split their time between San Francisco and the northern Rockies.

The
More about Danielle Girard...

The Rookie Club (5 books)
  • One Clean Shot (The Rookie Club #2)
  • Dark Passage (The Rookie Club #3)
  • Interference (the Rookie Club, #4)
  • Everything to Lose (The Rookie Club, #5)
Chasing Darkness Ruthless Game (a Captivating Suspense Novel) Savage Art (a Chilling Suspense Novel) One Clean Shot (The Rookie Club #2) Cold Silence (A High Stakes Thriller)